On the topic of PSIX...

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ooPo
Site Admin

On the topic of PSIX...

Post by ooPo »

http://psixonline.com/pdr.html
Through the process of psix's conception, realisation and progression, it became clear to me that there was little in the way of development support, due to the closed doors on psp development as far as sony were concerned.

The site ps2dev.org is now known the world over for it's assistance to developers in that of the development of the PSP SDK and various other tools, libraries and resources.
It is with this in mind that i start the PDR project, basically with my share of psix pro membership sales (35%), all of it will go back into the psp community, in the form of books, software and when needed, hardware.

How much i end up with, to put back into the psp community is anyones guess, however i
will do my best to provide resources to as many developers as possible.
So, does anyone else appreciate this guy:

1) Charging $10/head for a shell replacement built on our tools.
2) Invoking the 'ps2dev.org' name to help sell it.
3) Never approaching us for permission or even offering any funds?

I certainly don't. How about you?
Chrighton

Re: On the topic of PSIX...

Post by Chrighton »

ooPo wrote:So, does anyone else appreciate this guy:

1) Charging $10/head for a shell replacement built on our tools.
2) Invoking the 'ps2dev.org' name to help sell it.
3) Never approaching us for permission or even offering any funds?
Does the BSD compatible license prohibit him from charging for work built with PSPSDK? That might help me formulate an opinion on 1, and as for 2, checking the name invocation it seems he links to ps2dev.org and has some very positive words for its contributions so it doesn't seem as blatant to me, don't know about 3, it might depend on 1. :)

Unless there is some evil infringing going on I'm not sure there is much to care about (I didn't up to this point as I don't recall even hearing about this tool), as unsavory as his attempts at capitalism might be found to be.
sandberg

Post by sandberg »

I for sure don't like when people start to earn money, based on the work that a lot other other people have done for free and in their sparetime.
Br, Sandberg
Garak

Post by Garak »

1) Ridiculous to charge for Homebrew, I have said this all along.

2) I'm sure they referenced this site for info, as most serious devs have. I don't think they are using the name to try and increase sales, but rather to make it seem like the money "donated" to this project goes to developers instead of their own pocket.

3) They probably should have asked the ps2dev site admins if a name drop was appropriate, given no one at this site wants to be associated with charging for homebrew from the PSP dev scene

I may be putting words in the mouth's of others by saying no one here wants to charge for homebrew, but to me at least... It just isn't right.

Garak
AnonymousTipster

Post by AnonymousTipster »

I agree that homebrew should remain free, especially because of all the free work that was put (and is still put) into the SDK.
Also, they're getting around the problem by saying that they are charging for betas, not the application itself, as the changes will eventually be implemented in public releases.

*waits patiently for Fluff to turn up and justify herself*
jimparis

Re: On the topic of PSIX...

Post by jimparis »

Chrighton wrote:Does the BSD compatible license prohibit him from charging for work built with PSPSDK?
No, not at all.. the BSD license is very permissive and would allow him to e.g. make modifications and sell a closed-source version of the pspsdk, if he felt like it.
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

I don't much mind that he is charging for it, and actually bought a membership.
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Homebrew should remain free. Charging for homebrew is only going to ruin the scene. As for giving back 100% of her profit to the psp scene; bullshit. I haven't seen anything returned to the psp community. All I see is frequent attempts at trying to get even MORE money by requesting donations on her domain naoneo.com. She's pathetic.

I also heard somewhere her credit card was stolen and lead to legal issues. This may have been another attempt at getting people to feel sorry for her and donate even more money, but if it was infact real, I believe karma slapped her in the face.

Keep homebrew free, it's the way it should be.

--With that said

1) More like 10$ per PSP. Even people with two or more PSPs and who purchased a membership, they must pay another 10$ if they plan on using it on another one of their PSPs.
2) Another stunt to up sales.
3) I doubt she will offer anything back to the psp community for free.

No, I don't appreciate her at all.
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

My appologies if the concept of this project is looked upon as some obsurd way to increase sales, it truely isn't.
I personally do not care if psix is free or not, as the page says i'm not making any money off of it anyway, i have done as i said i would and spent my share on starting out developers, they're free to come forward and confirm this if they wish.

The inclusion of ps2dev.org in the pdr page was mean't out of respect for your work, if you wish it can be removed, if you guys would like to benefit from the project you can, as other developers do, use the email on the page and request resources, such as books, etc.
One of the things the pdr project does not do, is provide cold cash to developers, so "offering us any funds" is a moot point.
Chasing around other developers offering them support is neither fair nor useful, after all you guys already know your stuff, the pdr project is to help people who are starting out, or working on their abilities.

Though im really hating repeating myself, the membership fee for psix is much like MSDN in that for membership you are given access to early, often unstable beta versions, direct support and the ability to directly influence the software with your own ideas.
If anything the idea to charge for this service was a good one as it's resulted in a relatively active forum of people who truly support our work, and we can get realtime feedback on updates we make without having to trawl through the flames and useless posts.

In the end people have the choice to join up and test things when theyre added, or wait until the pubic builds are updated with stable updates, theres no forcing at all.

As for charging for software built with your tools, do you see black and decker having someone walk up to a bedroom fitter and asking him for some money for using their tools?
does a child put his name on a friends drawing because he borrowed him the red crayon?, no.
While i do understand it isn't about the cash for you but the respect for your work, there isn't much we can do other than throw money at you for the joy of using it.
TheMan wrote: 1) More like 10$ per PSP. Even people with two or more PSPs and who purchased a membership, they must pay another 10$ if they plan on using it on another one of their PSPs.
The mac lockout is to minimise the risk of bad things happening to our users, the beta is just that, a beta.
If there was no mac locking, chances are high that it would be passed around to everyone, and if something in the code was wrong and/or dangerous to the psp itself, i'd much rather have a handfull of people with psp's that need replacing then angry emails from hundreds who shouldnt even have it.
Accounts are limited to one mac address per account to save the headache of people who may wish to abuse it and get friends beta copies without our knowledge.

While on the same subject, when the very tools we use to create psix, are used to enable piracy and theft, i somehow doubt it will be you guys standing in front of sony saying "take us to court too, they built it on our tools after all".
These forums, and almost all of the code used for every exploit, iso loader, and boot loader, originated from posted code snippets here, it would be nice if you guys would take some responsibility too, by at the very least holding your hands up to being the main resource for the parasitic pirate software, though i doubt you'd want to because that's not your fault right?,
It's none of your business what those guys do with your code since it's available to everyone right?, so why when we pour our time and effort into providing a great application and great support for it, does it become your business?, "because you're selling the software", well that's sort of true, we are selling access to betas, now lets go ask a local games company how much money they lost to iso loaders!.. are you getting my point now?
Last edited by Fluff on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
PhyerFly

Post by PhyerFly »

I apologize for making this my first post, but I read about this thread on DCEMU and didn't appreciate it.

1) You've made your tools are freely available, hell even I've used them.
2) I guarantee you, no one who bought a PSIX Pro membership bought it because Fluff put ps2dev.org on the PDR page.
3) Why should they? If someone gives you a pencil for free, you don't owe them compensation for the art you make with it.

The people who pay for PSIX Pro memberships are happy with them. Call it commercial homebrew if you like, but I'm more then happy to donate a few bucks to help further the development of good code and a well managed project.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

question: what is it exactly that the pro members are paying for?

It seems that the faq seems to hint that it is for quick response from the team, extended support and early access to beta builds.
Yet at the top of the page it looks like there are two options: either the free crippled 'lite' version, or the fuller 'pro' version for subscribers.

So which is it? These are two different buisness models and it is very ambigous as to which the site is offering. If I elect not to pay, will I eventually have access to the full version when it moves out of beta?
Damn, I need a decent signature!
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

The whole "Lite" and "Pro" thing is just a bad naming choice on our part, we made the descision to change it pretty much the day after launch, when the public build is updated it will become "Psix x.xx Stable", and internal releases will be "Psix x.xx Beta"
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

EDIT - Nevermind.
vbm

Post by vbm »

Hey excuse this for being my first post but i saw this thread and didn't really appreciate it.
As for charging for software built with your tools, do you see black and decker having someone walk up to a bedroom fitter and asking him for some money for using their tools?
does a child put his name on a friends drawing because he borrowed him the red crayon?, no.
While i do understand it isn't about the cash for you but the respect for your work, there isn't much we can do other than throw money at you for the joy of using it.
Well thats some good use of metaphor but the situation is not really comparable, good attempt at trying to minimize the connection tho. While it is true with the licensing you don't formally owe ps2dev anything, but respect should be paid. Sounds to me you don't have much respect for the development community and i wonder just how much of 'your share' will go back to developers... In my opinion homebrew should always be free, money corrupts. As for the pirates, well i guess they are worse. and therefore that makes you squeaky clean? Now that you've opened the door i bet many more people will jump on the bandwagon, anyone looking forward to banners advertisng psp software for 9.99? not me. You profess to have good intentions and i hope you follow those through, however i think you have started something bad...
Has anyone seen my pants?
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

Personally, i hope homebrew devs do start charging for their work.
As for being squeeky clean, sure i guess, unless you can find a reason to say that charging for access to a forum and betas is ilegal?.

It comes down to this, Oopo and crew don't like the idea that homebrew devs using their software decided to take the approach we did (charging for memberships which are OPTIONAL), but the sad fact is, a) There's nothing they can do about it anyway, and b) it's too late to moan about it now, if you guys had a problem with it, you should have opened your mouths in the 2 weeks prior to psix's release when it was publicly known that we'd be charging for memberships.
F34R

Post by F34R »

I'm a pro member, and Fluff sums it up pretty well in the above post. I actually donated to help support the project, pro version or not. I've donated time and money to several projects without any ties to them. I've been invited to several beta teams as well, which I also support via donations when possible. When I see something I like, I try and send something. Even if it's $5, that helps (I hope lol).

Anyways, back to Fluff.

As Fluff stated, she doesnt get a single dime out of the donations, since it is all saved for the PDR. Why does everyone, and I use that loosely, always assume the worst ? Once something has come to light, that a dev was not so forthcoming about something, then lets bash them. Until then, give Fluff the benefit of the doubt.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

To be fair, I only discovered the site and its text today when someone mentioned it on irc. I don't normally keep tabs on the end product of our tools - nor do I generally care. I am only bringing to light the latest example of where the 'scene' is headed and I'm genuinely interested in hearing opinions on it.

As for making cash on it I generally don't care, although I would like to see some trickle down to the less financially fortunate of the ps2dev.org group of core developers. I am not one of these and do not need donations. I do this for my own entertainment and share freely with anyone else willing to put effort into learning.

The thing that really bothers me is the mention of grand gestures of returning to the community in any form, funds or not, but nobody has even heard a peep about this actually happening. If you're going to make money on it - please do so. The license allows you that right with no legal requirements whatsoever. But do not ever pretend that you're supporting the community.

True support comes freely. Anything else is just business.
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

ooPo wrote:As for making cash on it I generally don't care, although I would like to see some trickle down to the less financially fortunate of the ps2dev.org group of core developers. I am not one of these and do not need donations. I do this for my own entertainment and share freely with anyone else willing to put effort into learning.
Feel free to point them towards the pdr page.
ooPo wrote:True support comes freely. Anything else is just business.
If that were true, 3rd world countries wouldn't be struggling so much.
Junier

Post by Junier »

In the great capitalist spirit of what “fluff and friends” are doing, I’ve just gone down to the public library and stolen the entire Shakespeare collection, and opened a bookstore across the street. So now if you’d like access those previously free literary classics, you’re going to have to buy them from me.

Sincerely,

Satan
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Why steal Shakespeare when you can get it for free on project gutenberg, no reason you couldn't print off the text on there and sell it, no copyright on it anymore :P

Anyway on topic might as well stick my oar in :P

My personal view is homebrew really shouldn't ever cost people money, not because I am not of a capitalist bent but because we survive because we try and avoid fucking over Sony too much cause they have deeper pockets than we do and charging will only end up in pain. If the "legal" development community was forced out of the market you would only be left with the pirates who survive due to the restrictions imposed not in spite of them. I am not really even for general donations, perhaps because it is so prevalent, any fool can do something and try and guilt people into handing some cash over, I admit some people are not as well off as I might be (and I am not rich) but then my view is perhaps if you cannot afford to do homebrew development you perhaps should get that part time job at McDonalds, god knows what crap jobs I have done to make me less poor in order to afford games consoles and other such trivialities, if you are not getting commercial rates for software you produce why should you expect it? If your concept is worthy of making money then you take it to Sony and give them a choice. And if you need resources, then as you are clearly on the Internet to begin with there are plenty of free resources around to teach you programming languages, system design, 3D graphics et al.

Comparing the beta releases of PSIX to an MSDN license is like compared apples and oranges. You pay for an MSDN license generally not because you want to help Microsoft but you want to help yourself. Getting that latest beta of Vista has little to do with ensuring Microsoft has ironed out the kinks but more to do with getting the jump on your competitors in the cut throat software business by having your compilant app out first. Sure you will potentially bug report to them and make suggestions but at the end of it all it is about securing your bottom line by trying to coerce MS into adding a feature which benefits your business and as you are already thinking about it then you have the advantage. At any rate only real geeks would spend the $$$ needed to become an MSDN licensee, I have a licence but that is paid for by the company I work for, I certainly wouldn't hand cash to MS freely.

In a market whereby the cost is negligable, and you have no platform on which to build (unlike MS) there is no business incentive to pay money for a beta. So therefore it is likely that beta testing is all about ensuring that the app works as expected for as many users as possible. It seems that the best way to do that would be a public beta where by all and sundry can use your app and post bug reports, making it an exclusive club backed by financial commitment does not make for a good beta test. Sure a public beta brings with it alot of whinging bastards who post irrelevance but as a developer you will just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

As for your assertions that the toolchain and sdk basically allow piracy to happen (just cause they are used to build such apps) it is rather unfair. I have reversed UMD emu and I am sure they probably use some form of the free toolchain but that said a pirate could just as easily use the official sdk toolchain, and there is nothing in something like UMD emu which strikes me an unique to something we provided which they couldn't even do with a plain mips toolchain. Alas due to Sony's policy of wilful negligence the key to homebrew has ended up with piracy as well, in general we have never tried to release things we have discovered which would only have direct applicability to piracy, but take for example the original tool to dump kernel memory. The ability to enter kernel mode was the real key to piracy, it also has brought with it the real key to proper psp development. If we had just said "oh well it will be just used for piracy" it would never have been put out, however if we worked it out then there is no reason to believe others hadn't (and they had). If we hadn't put something out then only the pirates would have known about it and that would not have helped the legals devs one bit so we released a tool.

Generally if you app _could_ break a users psp (and unless you are directly writing to flash0 that really is unlikely), then a MAC lockout only seemed to indicate it is locked for commercial purposes than anything else. Unless you get someone to sign a contract to absolve you from damage you might be on sticky ground what ever happens, even more so if you are charging people for the priviledge as then you might run afoul of commercial legislation designed to prevent companies from screwing people over. If the application is free then implying this product comes with no warrenty is easier to define. As you are producing a "shell" then I would expect it would include code to maintain USB mass storage running while user apps are running, if that was the case then there is the potential for loss of user data on the MS, something which I am not sure you can avoid in beta or not.

As a final point reading through your pdr statement on your website seems almost to imply that ps2dev.org is in some way connected with your endevours which as you assert it isn't. On a subsequent read, and based on your comments what you actually seem to be implying is creating a fund contrary to ps2dev.org in that it is a fund for devs to access with no connection to ps2dev.org at all. As ps2dev.org has never maintained a fund of money it seems that the two really are not related in any way as to make it applicable to include the site on the same page. ps2dev.org has always been about providing resources (which the ever generous oobles provides for free) in order to further the aims of playstation development with as little rubbish as possible. The reason for not funding development is money breeds contempt and back stabbing, people will argue over why such and such get more funds then others, we do this for the enjoyment of it, the mental challenge of untangelling the pieces of a complex system, once the challenge has gone we invaraibly move on.

Oh and the third world is in a shit state cause they believe they should be first world countries and our bankers will quite happily hand them loans they cannot pay because in the end it is only the statesmen who matter, the people can starve to death for all they care :)
vbm

Post by vbm »

ooPo wrote:
True support comes freely. Anything else is just business.
Fluff wrote:
If that were true, 3rd world countries wouldn't be struggling so much.
You really think that third world countries get 'true support'? n00b
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

After reading all of this thread, I thought I might offer my 2c also.

There seems to be so much controversy over charging homebrew these days. It does not seem too unreasonable to ask for a modest fee for something that a developer creates. I'm reminded of the good old shareware days when people used to pay 4.99 for just a trial version diskette. All over the internet, there are trial softwares for people to purchase. Like what the other guy said, no one is forced to buy it. There are alternatives. People can make up their own minds (We're all big boys now).
Let me be clear though. I don't like to pay for software as much as the next guy. But if I like it enough, perhaps I will throw a couple bucks to the author.

In response to TyRaNiD:
we survive because we try and avoid fucking over Sony too much cause they have deeper pockets than we do and charging will only end up in pain. If the "legal" development community was forced out of the market you would only be left with the pirates who survive due to the restrictions imposed not in spite of them.
Everything that is done in this forum hurts Sony one way or the other. I play rRootage and that means I have less time for commercial games, and in translation, buy less games, and then it means I hurt Sony. If anything, charging for homebrew would help Sony because I rather buy GTA:LCS or Lumines, than...I dunno...Super Turkey Puncher (Pro). And for that matter, the PSPSDK itself is a free alternative to the $10,000 Sony development kit. For all the developers on this site, that's a lotta $10k they might or might not have received.

The reason people are irate about charging money for homebrew is probably because no one really thought that money could be made from it. And when someone posts code here, they didn't expect money to be made from that either. However, when another person builds upon that code and made money, the original author thought "hey, where's my cut?" It's not said in exactly those words, but here are the quotes:

ooPo [if my capitalization is wrong, my apologees :-) ]
1) Charging $10/head for a shell replacement built on our tools. 3) Never approaching us for permission or even offering any funds?
and...
As for making cash on it I generally don't care, although I would like to see some trickle down to the less financially fortunate of the ps2dev.org group of core developers
vbm
While it is true with the licensing you don't formally owe ps2dev anything, but respect should be paid.
*I wholeheartedly agree with this. But sometimes authors believe paying them respect means paying them a share*

Basically to summarize what I am saying. Charging should be at the developer's discretion. It is always possible for people to price themselves out of the market, even if they only charge $1 for their homebrew. There shouldn't be so much negative stigma attached to it.

ooPo said:
I am only bringing to light the latest example of where the 'scene' is headed and I'm genuinely interested in hearing opinions on it.
Imo, it's dying down. Most of the glory seekers are gone [myself included :-) ]. Most of the best apps out are either ports or updates to earlier programs. It used to be quite exciting to check ps2dev.org and pspupdates.com every other hr to see new stuff come out. Nowadays, a lot have moved on. Perhaps this is a good thing. Keep the "scene" underground and have only the true supporters.

mmm, maybe pspupdates.com and other psp sites should start a donation drive for ps2dev.org.
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

At this point none of this actually matters, it's 3 months down the line and things are set up, regardless of how other people may view or like them, it works well for us, besides the obvious benefits it also gives us a small forum of people who support the software (or at least most of them do).

And honestly, unless theres something other than force fed morality on the table as to why things should change, chances are they will not.

In the end, we offer a freely available version, be that version crippled or just shitty, it's there, besides that there are many more functional shells freely available for the psp, so clearly, people have quite a choice when it comes to shells in general for the psp, so if they decide to get a membership with us then great, if not then i won't loose sleep.
Mathieulh

Post by Mathieulh »

Here is an article I wrote about Fluff a few months ago on the SonyXteaM main page, I am sure you will then be able to see what kind of person Fluff really is:

http://www.sonyxteam.com/modules.php?na ... cle&sid=23
Here is what Fluff aka naoneo wrote in pspupdates today:

3) I don't want to wake up at some point next week to see Yoshi and SXT releasing "SXT-OS beta" and claiming "omg its all our code we just used fluffs idea!" Razz

We do not like false acusations, and therefore we will make a statement in order to defend oursleves

Here is what you should know about Fluff:

- He comes from ps2nfo (I don't know exactely what he did there since I don't waiste my timer in such crappy websites.

- He started a project called pspos (I am not totally sure about the name) (the sources are located in ps2dev.org) it was a crappy graphic interface with a pointer he got fired by the team's project (even if he doesn't state so) and the project was stopped.

- Then he claimed he created most of the pspos project and wanted to create his own project called psix, he gave awesome pics of it (probably photoshopped), leaked fake videos and said he was gonna implent mp3 and video player etc etc etc....

- We didn't hear much of it, until he claimed he released a beta version (there is no proof there has ever been one) and asked for donations (a reliable source told us that he got at least about 800 USD in his paypal account used for donations)

- Then in order to get more donations with paypal and as he couldn't continue his psix project (he wasn't skilled enough for that and got stuck) he performed some lame hex hacks on the psp firmware rco that even a kiddie could have done (such as removing the waves, changing the icon's name, the displayed version......)

- Then knowing it was the beggining of the end, he said that he stopped his project and as he couldn't release even a single beta eboot or sources, he just blamed us for that and gave his lame excuse that had been posted as news on pspupdates !

We don't even care about his lame source, we have never been interested into creating a shell, and we never asked him to release them, but at least if he was honest (whitch I doubt he would just release an eboot so everyone can test it (and see how crappy it is)

All fluff cared about was to get your money from the paypal donations !

What did you expect ? Did you even think it would be possible for a single man to creat a shell featuring, mp3 player, divx player, iso loader, webcam monitor and lots of awesome stuffs... as naoneo (aka Fluff) stated ?? Of course not !

In my opinion Fluff doesn't worth more than alonetrio.

Where the hell is the eboot ???!! Why can't we test it, or at least have some proofs ??? (because there are none of course....)

And please pspupdates, check how reliable are your sources before posting news (that are no more than a huge flamming by the way)

You blame us for alonetrio's donation, when you have a huge scammer in front of you and not only you can't see it, but you give him more honour than he would ever deserve !

I personnaly think this whole scene has just gone crazy, and I really hope it'll calm down.

A personal note to naoneo:

Did you really think we would'nt answer your post after saying crap about us ?....

A little update to that old news tough, it seems that to preserve his reputation he had to go on with the psix project after we posted the news above. However he can't code well enough to do so (Fluff is a designer not a developer) so he just put a price on his psix he called psix pro and paid developers to finish it !(or should I say code the whole thing) Of course you can easely imagine that he paid them using the money he got on each psix pro selled.

In my opinion every single homebrews should be free. If he wan't to sell an application he can just buy the SCE licence and that's it.
Using a sdk that passionned developers just like you and me took part in creating and then trying to get money from the applications created with that very sdk is a sin.

That's the same with people trying to get money from donations by the use of "sharewares" (such as 10 minutes shareware) especially when the whole purpose of this app is illegal. (I am sure you can guess who I am talking about)

I hope that the greedy ones will leave and let the true developers alone.
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

Mathieulh wrote:Here is an article I wrote about Fluff a few months ago on the SonyXteaM main page, I am sure you will then be able to see what kind of person Fluff really is:

http://www.sonyxteam.com/modules.php?na ... cle&sid=23
Here is what Fluff aka naoneo wrote in pspupdates today:

3) I don't want to wake up at some point next week to see Yoshi and SXT releasing "SXT-OS beta" and claiming "omg its all our code we just used fluffs idea!" Razz

We do not like false acusations, and therefore we will make a statement in order to defend oursleves

Here is what you should know about Fluff:

- He comes from ps2nfo (I don't know exactely what he did there since I don't waiste my timer in such crappy websites.

- He started a project called pspos (I am not totally sure about the name) (the sources are located in ps2dev.org) it was a crappy graphic interface with a pointer he got fired by the team's project (even if he doesn't state so) and the project was stopped.

- Then he claimed he created most of the pspos project and wanted to create his own project called psix, he gave awesome pics of it (probably photoshopped), leaked fake videos and said he was gonna implent mp3 and video player etc etc etc....

- We didn't hear much of it, until he claimed he released a beta version (there is no proof there has ever been one) and asked for donations (a reliable source told us that he got at least about 800 USD in his paypal account used for donations)

- Then in order to get more donations with paypal and as he couldn't continue his psix project (he wasn't skilled enough for that and got stuck) he performed some lame hex hacks on the psp firmware rco that even a kiddie could have done (such as removing the waves, changing the icon's name, the displayed version......)

- Then knowing it was the beggining of the end, he said that he stopped his project and as he couldn't release even a single beta eboot or sources, he just blamed us for that and gave his lame excuse that had been posted as news on pspupdates !

We don't even care about his lame source, we have never been interested into creating a shell, and we never asked him to release them, but at least if he was honest (whitch I doubt he would just release an eboot so everyone can test it (and see how crappy it is)

What did you expect ? Did you even think it would be possible for a single man to creat a shell featuring, mp3 player, divx player, iso loader, webcam monitor and lots of awesome stuffs... as naoneo (aka Fluff) stated ?? Of course not !

In my opinion Fluff doesn't worth more than alonetrio.

Where the hell is the eboot ???!! Why can't we test it, or at least have some proofs ??? (because there are none of course....)

And please pspupdates, check how reliable are your sources before posting news (that are no more than a huge flamming by the way)

You blame us for alonetrio's donation, when you have a huge scammer in front of you and not only you can't see it, but you give him more honour than he would ever deserve !

I personnaly think this whole scene has just gone crazy, and I really hope it'll calm down.

A personal note to naoneo:

Did you really think we would'nt answer your post after saying crap about us ?....

A little update to that old news tough, it seems that to preserve his reputation he had to go on with the psix project after we posted the news above. However he can't code well enough to do so (Fluff is a designer not a developer) so he just put a price on his psix he called psix pro and paid developers to finish it !(or should I say code the whole thing) Of course you can easely imagine that he paid them using the money he got on each psix pro selled.

In my opinion every single homebrews should be free. If he wan't to sell an application he can just buy the SCE licence and that's it.
Using a sdk that passionned developers just like you and me took part in creating and then trying to get money from the applications created with that very sdk is a sin.

That's the same with people trying to get money from donations by the use of "sharewares" (such as 10 minutes shareware) especially when the whole purpose of this app is illegal. (I am sure you can guess who I am talking about)

I hope that the greedy ones will leave and let the true developers alone.
God, you're going to jump on the bandwagon and try and get on my back with a list of clear lies?
Again, since it didn't seem to sink in the last time i replied to it.
He comes from ps2nfo (I don't know exactely what he did there since I don't waiste my timer in such crappy websites.
I've only ever joined ps2nfo once, and that was to ask about the firmware for a modchip i had in my ps2 since the official forums were down, i was greeted with a ban for making a thread about, what i've been told is "a rival brand", one that they do not advertise.
He started a project called pspos (I am not totally sure about the name) (the sources are located in ps2dev.org) it was a crappy graphic interface with a pointer he got fired by the team's project (even if he doesn't state so) and the project was stopped.
Anyone can go and use the search feature here to see that this is, again, lies., myself and qubitz made pspos a long, long time ago, at the time there wasn't much effort put into it and because of one of our testers leaking info about it before we had the chance to make it better we just moved on.
Then he claimed he created most of the pspos project and wanted to create his own project called psix, he gave awesome pics of it (probably photoshopped), leaked fake videos and said he was gonna implent mp3 and video player etc etc etc....
See above reply, as for the released info, it's all real, it's just we have rebuilt psix many times since the first conception for the benefit of maximising the efficiency, from DFB to GU, to Interface engines.
We didn't hear much of it, until he claimed he released a beta version (there is no proof there has ever been one) and asked for donations (a reliable source told us that he got at least about 800 USD in his paypal account used for donations)
a "reliable source", for them to be reliable they'd need access to my paypal account, which i can assure you nobody other than me has, incidentally i received $193 in donations, and everyone that donated were eventually asked to come and test beta builds of psix long before it was published, i've not had a single complaint from any of the original beta team.
Then knowing it was the beggining of the end, he said that he stopped his project and as he couldn't release even a single beta eboot or sources, he just blamed us for that and gave his lame excuse that had been posted as news on pspupdates !
Err, no. the project was stopped because i had the unfortunate situation of havng to deal with my fathers death, whilst maintaining enough composure to take care of my, then 7 month old daughter, at the time getting away from the psp scene was a wise choice.
Which is why from all of the psix pro purchases made, i've bought myself a new microsoft wheel mouse optical!, since the old one started acting funny and wouldnt respond inless you bent the wire in a certain way.., either way $13 isn't that big a deal.
Did you ever even read the news articles i posted back in the day?, the iso loader was to make HOMEBREW in an iso format so that they could easilly be installed instead of having multiple folders/files (much like how psp-oss takes forever and a day to transfer because the files are all seperate).
as for the webcam monitor... no, as detailed in the news post all that was, was a simple server that sent images from the phones camera via the serial port, which was then refreshed on the screen of the psp, it never got anywhere because i didn't think a < 1fps camera that required a specific phone, was worth continuing, was just a cool toy at the time.
If you guys are saying we made psix for the sole reason of "proving you wrong", you are WAY too full of yourself.

As for me being a designer nor a coder, that much is true, though i can actually code, i cannot code well, which is one of the many reasons why the original psix which i coded myself was scrapped when other coders joined with the development.
As for paying developers to finnish it, not true, im sure if there were no money envolved we'd still be working on it right now anyway, we just wouldn't have put as much effort into it...

This has gone far enough, discussions such as oopo's and a majority of the replies here are one thing, but flat out posting a list of lies on your website in retort to a one line joke about STX, is just childish tactics, and again using that same post, months later to prove a point which you seemingly don't even understand, is again childish, especially when the "facts" you tout are so transparently false.

Here,
We do not like false acusations, and therefore we will make some of them oursleves
Fixed, enjoy.
Mathieulh wrote: In my opinion every single homebrews should be free. If he wan't to sell an application he can just buy the SCE licence and that's it.
Yeahhhhh.... because when you and Yoshihiro were part of WAB, you guys didn't accept donations for "V3" of your game loader, even though it never actually existed, then months later, you didn't do the same for a downgrader Yoshi aparently made with psp-dev, only psp-dev bailed on you guys because they figured out it wasn't actualy real.

Pot, Kettle, Black.
Mathieulh

Post by Mathieulh »

No we didn't read this and you'll understand:

http://www.sonyxteam.com/modules.php?na ... icle&sid=1

It was Alontrio who got total access to wab.com who got paypal account and asked for donations making it look like it was to help yoshihiro to code the downgrader...

Oh ! and your explanations seems childish and untrue.
I am not satisfied at all, beside I wont reply because unlike you I don't want to come up to a flame war.

Beside you didn't seem to care about using the bad reputation many enemies made to Yoshihiro and SXT (by the help of most the scene's noobs) to justify yourself and why the psix project halted, that's why we answered. That was lame that's all I can say....You are not the only one to have done this, it seems like a sport to many teams to support the lies said by others regarding us because they couldn't bare that we said the truth about who (or should I say what) they really are, that includes not only you but a pretty exhausting list inclueding Alontrio, MPH, pspupdate's admin, toc2rta etc etc who together have a huge influence upon the noobies of the scene and mistake them to get whatever they want.
I can't stand that kind of people.

That's all I had to say.
Last edited by Mathieulh on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

Mathieulh wrote:No we didn't read this and you'll understand:

It was Alontrio who got total access to wab.com who got paypal account and asked for donations making it look like it was to help yoshihiro to code the downgrader...

I am not satisfied at all, beside I wont reply because unlike you I don't want to come up to a flame war.
Yeah you see, if i were on a dev team and someone in the team spent 3 weeks saying we were going to release something that didn't actually exist, i'd have left before the 3 weeks were up...
As for not wanting a flame war, that's pretty funny comming from the scenes resident drama+glory rider team.
Mathieulh

Post by Mathieulh »

Fluff wrote:
Mathieulh wrote:No we didn't read this and you'll understand:

Yeah you see, if i were on a dev team and someone in the team spent 3 weeks saying we were going to release something that didn't actually exist, i'd have left before the 3 weeks were up...
As for not wanting a flame war, that's pretty funny comming from the scenes resident drama+glory rider team.

That's what I kept saying to Yoshihiro, but alonetrio was begging yoshihiro to stay so he left alonetrio a delay to remove his adds, paypal account etc from his website but he didn't of course, that's precisely why he left.
johnmph

Post by johnmph »

No moderators here ?
Do you let mathieulh post lies on this serious forum ?

I saw also attacks on this post :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4249&start=150

There is always an attack based on lie in his posts.

And don't forget that this guy has official sdk when he gave some informations :

http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=2 ... hlight=sdk

Except when he forgets to give the true author of these informations :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=90

already posted by psppet here :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... r&start=30

Now a moderator can he do what is necessary ?

Sorry for my bad english.
Mathieulh

Post by Mathieulh »

johnmph wrote:No moderators here ?
Do you let mathieulh post lies on this serious forum ?

I saw also attacks on this post :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4249&start=150

There is always an attack based on lie in his posts.
Sure there were a lot of attacks...... why don't you speak about your "downgrader story" section on your forum that is all based on flamming us ??
johnmph wrote:And don't forget that this guy has official sdk when he gave some informations :

http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=2 ... hlight=sdk
Do you have any proofs that I actually own the SDK ? Beside if I did owned it, it wouldn't proof that any of the informations I provided at ps2dev came from this very SDK (witch is not the case as I allways revealed the sources of my intels), however YOU used the official SCE sdk's pdfs to build the drivers required to load the webbrowser in MPHFL...
That can be easely proved by any owner of the official SDK.

johnmph wrote:Except when he forgets to give the true author of these informations :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=90

already posted by psppet here :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... r&start=30

Now a moderator can he do what is necessary ?
I didn't know pspset found this before, I am sorry if I annoyed him in any way, I thought I was helping the communauty by sharing the informations, if you don't believe me I gave the very method I used to extract the modules in the very same thread. right here http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4249&start=150

Now I think you are the one who should be banned for:

-stealing others concept
-give bad reputations to the ones you stole concept and code from
-code and release a warez iso loader based on others intel
-ask donations for that very warez iso loader
-creating a 10 minutes shareware version of this very same iso loader to be sure to have money from donators

And yes i say it's 100% warez because the 1st version of MPHGL not only REQUIRED the use of an iso but also requires the use an extracted firmware (whitch is illegal)

Now you want to talk to me about what's right ?!!
That's all I had to say
Last edited by Mathieulh on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.