AVItoPMP (1.2.0): advanced tool for pmp video

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

uNn99

AVItoPMP (1.2.0): advanced tool for pmp video

Post by uNn99 »

AVItoPMP - Advanced Tool for converting video into .pmp format:

- friendly interface
- uses the fastest video encoder - "Mencoder"
- supports .avi, .mov, .vob, .mpg, .wmv
- auto determines source resolution and calculates rescaled resolution (auto saves aspect ratio), but also has an option to use wide-screen resolution or use auto-crop before rescaling to wide-screen (also saves aspect ratio)
- video section has all commonly used mencoder options
- supports 3 codecs - "DivX", "XviD" and "x264"
- supports 2 encoding modes: constant bitrate and variable bitrate ("quantizer")
- has an "Preview" function - test your settings before encoding the entire film!
- automatic recognition of black bars
- supports 2 audio encoders: "BeSweet" and "Mencoder"
- supports subtitles
- supports a queue of jobs
- supports saving settings into .ini file
- works with non-english paths and filenames

P.S. About found bugs, plz post here.
And your desires and requests about programm are certainly welcome ;-)

Download links (1.2.0.77):
For all CPU: http://rapidshare.com/files/10460179/AV ... _.rar.html

Homepage: http://avitopmp.blogspot.com/

v.0.9.1:
- an option to change 'frames per second'
- an option to use MediaInfo to read Aspect Ratio of the source - some video have black borders, but in AR info they contain real resolution (without black borders) - in this case it can help to correctly crop video
- now you can manually edit original resolution values
- a few little modifications

v0.9.2:
- a number of different fixes. Now it should work with any paths...

v0.9.5:
- a lot of new features
- new design
- VBR audio support
- advanced settings
- bitrate calculator
- pmp_muxer 2.00

v0.9.6:
- File Info page
- Codepage Info
- small fixes

v0.9.7:
- PMP Muxer 2.01
- New feature to convert video without re-encoding (we need re-encoding to rescale video) (limit is 720x512)

v0.9.8:
- x264 (AVC) support
- small feature with subtitles: support for desc fonts (put desc.font into program directory and check setting)

v1.0.0:
- DVD support (except subtitles yet)
- wmv files supported

v1.0.1:
- suport DVD encode from a hard drive (choose a "VIDEO_TS" dir using a button)

v1.0.2:
Bug: The option to encode only a fragment from the movie doesn't work with streamcopy on.[/url]

v1.1.0
- New window "Crop menu" added
- Automatic recognition of black bars (borders) and cropping them ("Autocrop blackbars" in Crop menu)
- Function converting symbols from win to dos fully rewritten, now it should work on all languages and systems
- DVD recognition rewritten, now it works without running .bat file, all work is done inside a programm
- Subtitles are now opened automatically if a file with same name and subtitle extension is found
- You can just press "Run encoding" without adding to queue if only one video file should be encoding
- some small fixes

v1.2.0
- x264 AVC fast mode: can increase speed up to 2x at the cost of quality
- Autocrop black bars now analyze not the beginning, but the middle of the video (to avoid analyzing the title)
- Crop menu has a progress bar indicating the process of analyzing black bars
- An ability to change number of frames that should be analyzed for black bars
- New XviD mode: "cartoon" (activate this if your encoded sequence is an anime/cartoon. It modifies some XviD internal thresholds
so XviD takes better decisions on frame types and motion vectors for flat looking cartoons)
- In x264 AVC mode "subq" (subpel refinement quality) is editable on the main form
- Preview time bug is fixed
- Some crop bugs are fixed
Last edited by uNn99 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 44 times in total.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Woah~ it looks fantastic!
I'm gonna try it asap!
Thanks for your hard work :D
Later,

Alcahest

ps:
1. Is it possible to make a "default output directory" setting
2. A "hide DOS window during encoding" feature would be nice ;)
3. The tooltip disappear too quickly for some items chroma_me, chroma_opt.
Isn't it possible to do a 2-pass encding with Xvid vbr?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

No matter what I do, I only always get a "invalid filename." error when I press "Add to Queue". Doesn't depend on the path to source or dest file, and not on encoding settings either. So I suppose it's got to do with the apps own path (E:\PSP\AVItoPMP_v0.9)?
Interface looks nice though.
manchestorunited

Post by manchestorunited »

this looks great

can u add something that will approximate how big the resulting file is?
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Tested it extensively and imho this is the best app available to encode to PMP format. (I have it as C:\PSP\AVI2PSP\)
One thing i don't quite understand is the current Constant Bitrate / Variable bitrate setting.
Shouldn't the Constant Bitrate be fixed to 1pass? (we can select or unselect the 1pass setting when CB is chosen, i find it strange?)

Also, i have 2 more suggestions :
If it is possible to support 3IVX since apparently it doesn't have (or much less) the ghosting problem on blacks.
Or is it possible to make a setting for "brightness" for divx/xvid to correct the ghost on blacks issue with those codecs.

For a first version of the software, it's amazing, beats all the competition in my book, great work!
Later,

Alcahest
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

Alcahest wrote:Tested it extensively and imho this is the best app available to encode to PMP format. (I have it as C:\PSP\AVI2PSP\)
One thing i don't quite understand is the current Constant Bitrate / Variable bitrate setting.
Shouldn't the Constant Bitrate be fixed to 1pass? (we can select or unselect the 1pass setting when CB is chosen, i find it strange?)

Also, i have 2 more suggestions :
If it is possible to support 3IVX since apparently it doesn't have (or much less) the ghosting problem on blacks.
Or is it possible to make a setting for "brightness" for divx/xvid to correct the ghost on blacks issue with those codecs.

For a first version of the software, it's amazing, beats all the competition in my book, great work!
Later,

Alcahest
- Constant bitrate can use 1pass and 2pass modes, so you have to select it. And variable bitrate ("target quantizer") can be used only in 1pass.
- Supporting 3IVX isn't an easy thing - mencoder doesn't support it. If there a some tool, like mencoder, that supports 3IVX I can implement it in AVItoPMP.
- About brightness - i'm sure that mencoder have an option to change brightness during encoding - but: modification of pmp player already has this feature (L and R buttons).
The tooltip disappear too quickly for some items chroma_me, chroma_opt
- fixed
A "hide DOS window during encoding" feature would be nice
- hmm, you mean minimize it? The main programm window could be closed after the "Run encoding" button is pressed, so if you hide DOS window... :)
Raphael wrote:No matter what I do, I only always get a "invalid filename." error when I press "Add to Queue". Doesn't depend on the path to source or dest file, and not on encoding settings either. So I suppose it's got to do with the apps own path (E:\PSP\AVItoPMP_v0.9)?
Interface looks nice though.
o_O Never had this error. Maybe you have a non english characters in filename? Programm uses Ansi to OEM procedure to convert filenames - I tested it on russian filenames, everything was ok. I think i need more information to investigate your problem...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

o_O Never had this error. Maybe you have a non english characters in filename? Programm uses Ansi to OEM procedure to convert filenames - I tested it on russian filenames, everything was ok. I think i need more information to investigate your problem...
Well, I have the german version of Win XP with SP1, but there's no german "Umlaut" or sth. in the path or filename, so this shouldn't be a problem. I even tried renaming the app path to AVI2PMP and tried with simple destination files like E:\TEMP\1.avi but it still gives me invalid filename.
Can't seem to find anything else special about my setup though.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

Raphael wrote:
Well, I have the german version of Win XP with SP1, but there's no german "Umlaut" or sth. in the path or filename, so this shouldn't be a problem. I even tried renaming the app path to AVI2PMP and tried with simple destination files like E:\TEMP\1.avi but it still gives me invalid filename.
Can't seem to find anything else special about my setup though.
Try this special build without ANSItoOEM procedure: http://avon.homeunix.org/fifa/downloads/AVItoPMP.exe
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Its still the same. Probably you should check all functions called after pressing the "add to queue" and/or "preview" button on how they parse files. Or maybe its just my faggot PC trying to freak me out once more again :(
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

Raphael wrote:Its still the same. Probably you should check all functions called after pressing the "add to queue" and/or "preview" button on how they parse files. Or maybe its just my faggot PC trying to freak me out once more again :(
I have a supposition that you start AVItoPMP.exe from dir where there aren't a \log directory in it. I've added the checking of existence of a "\log" directory in the app path, try now.
Link is from my previous post.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Yes, now it tells me the "PATH\logs" dir doesn't exist, but even though after creating it, the message stays. I also tried creating a dir "log" without trailing s, but that didn't change anything. It seems it cannot find the paths, but I have no clue yet why this should be, I also tried changing to the app dir via command shell first just to get sure.
Are there any other requirements?
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

can anyone tell me if this will encode .vob files as well? I have several dvd's that I'd like to convert to pmp.
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

wulfie wrote:can anyone tell me if this will encode .vob files as well? I have several dvd's that I'd like to convert to pmp.
YES IT WILL !!!
csuper

Great

Post by csuper »

I'm testing it right now.... : Wonderful job !

As always... some requests popup's in my mind... :
Can it be possible to encode MKV or OGM files (with an intermediary preselection... for exemple: I want the audio n°2 and the subtitle : SRT n°3 for my PMP file...)

For the 3IVX support. : the only way, that I know of, is to encode, with the codec already installed, with virtualDUB(Mod)... surely not easy to implement in your fast & furious frontend... :( )

THANX Anyway !

csuper.
Last edited by csuper on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
jvpsp

Post by jvpsp »

This is a great app, thank you!

I like the crop and widescree function, perfectly calculates 16:9, sweet

One function that I would love to see is a 'frames per second' setting, since some movies have 30 (or more) fps. And this causes a lot of stuttering, bringing it down to 24fps usually helps a lot.

thanks for a great app

cheers
manchestorunited

I've just tried this, and it's the best converter ive used all i hav to do is just open my file, and BAM! its already converting at the settings i want.

Thanks for the program.

Quality is good too, btw.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

New Version 0.9.1:
- an option to change 'frames per second'
- an option to use MediaInfo to read Aspect Ratio of the source - some video have black borders, but in AR info they contain real resolution (without black borders) - in this case it can help to correctly crop video
- now you can manually edit original resolution values
- a few little modifications

Download link: in the 1-st post
TestType

Post by TestType »

Great app, keep up the good work! It's got most of the options I would ever want :)

Now for a few annoying bugs I've encountered, the output location doesn't stick, I change it but as soon as I click 'Add to Queue' the output location reverts back to the same folder and filename as the original file.

Example:
Original file is located in D:\Yakitate Japan\[A-E]_Yakitate_Japan_19_[3925E442].avi
Output location and filename I choose is D:\PMP Video\Yakitate!! Japan 19.pmp
Location and filename after encoding: D:\Yakitate Japan\[A-E]_Yakitate_Japan_19_[3925E442].pmp

Also, the program creates a dvix2pass.log file every time (even when I'm using neither divx nor 2 pass encoding) and saves that in the output location I entered. So the file will be created in D:\PMP Video\divx2pass.log, and this results in the following error at the end of the mencoder cycle:

"Could Not Find D:\Yakitate Japan\divx2pass.log"

Also, I encoded a vob file and the audio and video don't sync up, but I haven't tried another one to see if it's a recurring problem or not. Thought I would mention it though.
PSP: Japanese Firmware 1.0 :: 1gb SanDisk Memory Stick
manchestorunited

i hav an video/audio sync problem w/ these settings:

Video used: AVI-DivX 592x320, 25 fps, 768 kbps

1. Widescreen
2. Codec-XviD
3. Bitrate 768
4. VHQ-1
5. Constant-bitrate
6. use sharp [less speed]
7. use turbo
8. max b-frames=0 [off]
9. chroma_opt
10. Use Besweet
11. Bitrate-112
12. Gain-3
13. Hybrid Gain

ps: it was w/ 0.9.1 not the fix
manchestorunited

I've just converted a new file

AVI-XviD, 640x272, 23.976 fps, 1084 kbps

i used the same settings as my post above.

After it was done converting, the pmp_muxer window says "Video/Audio difference: 0.084 seconds". I guess thats the sync issue, however this one is less worse.

Anybody know why i get thta message?

btw, i don't kno S|-|It about video
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

manchestorunited wrote: After it was done converting, the pmp_muxer window says "Video/Audio difference: 0.084 seconds". I guess thats the sync issue, however this one is less worse.
It's a normal behaviour of pmp_muxer.
TestType wrote:Now for a few annoying bugs I've encountered, the output location doesn't stick, I change it but as soon as I click 'Add to Queue' the output location reverts back to the same folder and filename as the original file.
- fixed
nazgull

Post by nazgull »

The first time i encodet a move on the default bitrate and it was working. Now i have been trying to convert another movie for 3 times and it always failes in the end(it says Something went wrong during encoding), but it was on my custom bitrate. Now i will try to endoce it on the default and see what will happen.

The subtirle function is very good.
In the next version PLEASE fix this bugs and make not only .srt support but also .sub support

Anyways- great job.
I am waiting to see the bug that casues the program not to create a pmp file fixed. Insted of that it creates 2 files- 1 avi and 1 mp3 and renames from the original files to something like ****_tmp and says: something went wrong...)
nazgull

Post by nazgull »

Ok. I have just finished encoding the another movie on the default bitrate and it went again wrong during encoding:(
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

nazgull wrote:Ok. I have just finished encoding the another movie on the default bitrate and it went again wrong during encoding:(
Maybe it's an error of BeSweet? Did you try to preview this movie with sound encoded by mencoder? And you can also check if mp3 file (*_tmp.mp3 in the output folder) is playing...
a123321

Font support

Post by a123321 »

Will there be foreign language font support for subtitles?Because some letters can't bedisplayed in the video created by this app. My mother language is Turkish and the letters ( ş,ö,ç,ü,ı,) can't be displayed.
Is there a way to correct?
uNn99

Re: Font support

Post by uNn99 »

a123321 wrote:Will there be foreign language font support for subtitles?Because some letters can't bedisplayed in the video created by this app. My mother language is Turkish and the letters ( ş,ö,ç,ü,ı,) can't be displayed.
Is there a way to correct?
I can't test with Turkish, but you can :) Find subfont.ttf in apps\Mencoder\mplayer and replace it with font, that supports Turkish characters. Then add file to a queue and press "edit queue", find -subcp cp1251. cp1251 is codepage for Russian text, you should replace it with your codepage (which i don't know ;) )
nazgull

Post by nazgull »

When i make a preview everything is perfect, but after the real encoding it gives the error:(
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

nazgull wrote:When i make a preview everything is perfect, but after the real encoding it gives the error:(
I think it's a beSweet error (for me it happens with one .mpg file). Try to encode sound with mencoder.
nazgull

Post by nazgull »

Yes, with Mencoder there is no problem:):)
Good Work! I love this program:)

pp: here is a program for convertin .sub to .srt
http://www.engcivil.net/sub2srt.html
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

v0.9.2:
- a number of different fixes. Now it should work with any paths...