yet another PSP Documentation

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

groepaz

yet another PSP Documentation

Post by groepaz »

ah well... its not quite in the State i wanted it to be for a first Release, but i still decided to post a "release candidate". comments welcomed. corrections and additions are more than appriciated.

http://hitmen.c02.at/files/releases/psp ... pdf.tar.gz

for now, take it with a grain of salt. there is a lot to be done, and there are probably quite some things that arent very accurate or even plain wrong (again, please let me know whatever you notice).

have fun...
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

;) excellent
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010
sandberg

Post by sandberg »

Excellent document and excellent work .. Thanks ..
Br, Sandberg
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

impressive!
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

Yep, lots of nice bedtime reading there, sterling work that man. :)

I think I may have some corrections for some of the ELF stuff, but I need to check some data first.
Got a v2.0-v2.80 firmware PSP? Download the eLoader here to run homebrew on it!
The PSP Homebrew Database needs you!
romero126

Post by romero126 »

Gorgeous work. No complains and excelent reading material. Keep this up, its always good to gather a good compilation of what we know about the PSP system.

PS: Your work on the .elf file is great. Just a side note - The Verification process looks like a pointer to a command within the header of the elf file. (Not exactly shure where it is since it varies for each .ELF file.
Timale-Kun

Post by Timale-Kun »

Oh my damn!!!This awesome I always wanted to know what's inside the Monster...I've Notice that the USB was Empty so Check this Out Here and There... I hope it might help and like we say it in French BRAVO!!
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Timale-Kun wrote:Oh my damn!!!This awesome I always wanted to know what's inside the Monster...I've Notice that the USB was Empty so Check this Out Here and There... I hope it might help and like we say it in French BRAVO!!
Hey, did I see correctly that with two OTG devices, the cable determines who is host and who is client? So you need a special OTG complient / USB 2.0 cable before you can test this, right? And of course you need to connect to the two extra connectors, which indeed have to be able to supply power.

After some browsing, I found this article explains it very nicely.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/ap ... umber/1822

I suppose that the PSP must indeed have OTG. Interesting. Wonder how long it will take for someone to get it to work. ;)
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

Peoples!!! Where does anyone demonstrate that they have successfully used the PSP as a USB-OTG host? Just because "it says so on the internet" doesn't make it so. We need a repeatable demonstration that anyone can perform before we can draw any conclusions about whether the PSP supports USB-OTG or any similar capability. I'd like to know the answer to this as much as anyone, but let's find the real answer instead of just adopting the loudest rumor as truth.

Back on topic, this PSP hardware reference is excellent, and I will be reading it very closely over the next few days. Thank you for your hard work!
Saotome

Post by Saotome »

Very nice work groepaz. There are still many things missing,
but I think you can already call it "The PSP Documentation" not just "yet another..." ;)

Especially looking forward to the VME part, although I'm not expecting it anytime soon.
Last edited by Saotome on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
infj
Timale-Kun

Post by Timale-Kun »

The Only way to know it's to Open my PSP and i only got One wich is under warranty 'till september...Sorry to lead U on a wrong way
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

While you wait for your warranty to run out, take a peek:

http://www.drvegetable.com/SonyPSP/PyroSama/cpu/
http://www.drvegetable.com/SonyPSP/PyroSama/dboard/
http://www.drvegetable.com/SonyPSP/PyroSama/photos/

(These pictures were taken by PyroSama.)

By the way, if you've downgraded the firmware or run any homebrew applications, then you've already voided your warranty.
Timale-Kun

Post by Timale-Kun »

in theory Yes but I've downgraded my first PSP (bought September 1st) and i had an analog stick glitch (mechanical glitch not software glitch) and at Micromania (Video Game Seller in France) they don't repare only change...so i gave them my PSP and they gave me new one (I already ask for a 2.0 but Only 2.01 or 2.50 are in stock now)...I'm in 2.5 for now and waiting the day of Full Homebrew Access...Anyway I think you voided your warranty if you brick your PSP....Thanks for the pict I'll have a look on them
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

but I think you can already call it "The PSP Documentation" not just "yet another..." ;)
hehe its a reference to the gamecube doc i made, which -just like this one- started as a collection of various other existing docs.

also, could everyone please keep this thread clean from speculations and other general discussions and ONLY post actual corrections/additions here?
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

Dr. Vegetable wrote:(These pictures were taken by PyroSama.)
I believe he likes the name Canti now ;)
Dr. Vegetable wrote:By the way, if you've downgraded the firmware or run any homebrew applications, then you've already voided your warranty.
Yes, but who says you need to tell them you ran homebrew?
Dibblah

Pinout of internal connectors

Post by Dibblah »

Not sure if this is useful to anyone else, but here it is anyway.

Power switch, function bar and right buttons:

1 Ground
2 Home
3 Vol-
4 Vol+
5 Screen
6 Note
7 Select
8 Start
9 Ground
10 Ground
11 Ground
12 Power (2)
13 Power (1)
14 LED (2)
15 LED (1)
16 NC ?
17 Cross
18 Square
19 Triangle
20 Circle
21 NC ?
22 +VE
23 Shoulder
24 Shoulder

I'll add as I get the rest. I'm slowly building up my test PSP - I have a board with a working screen and a WLAN card - All for <$50 :)

Cheers,

Allan.
pyrosama

Post by pyrosama »

Great work :)

I will have to get with you in the near future about updating the hardware section. I have a few cad drawings that could help fill out that part of the document.

Mirror: http://www.fwurl.com/psp_doc.pdf.tar.gz

Thanks,
Canti
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

i've updated the doc with some stuff, grab it from the usual place :) and keep the addtitions/fixes/comments coming :)
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

another great documentation indeed
thanx ;)
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

its updated again, check the changelog for details :)

-> http://hitmen.c02.at/html/psp_docs.html
sea_monster

Post by sea_monster »

................AS THE POLAR ICECAPS MELT, THE SEAMONSTERS ATLANTIC HEAT CONVEYOR SLOWS, MAKING HIM COLD, AND IRRITABLE..........

Groepaz- You sneaky ole sea dog, you've knocked the wind out of my sails again. From one seadog to another: Good on ya!

WTF do the "numbers" represent next to all these interrupts though? You might want to stick in a quick paragraph describing the interrupt topology. It would appear to this old barnacle that there are the 8 interrupts that directly map into the exception cause register, but it seems there is an "external" (I use the term looser than dead eelgrass floating freely on the water) interrupt controller to? Is that what the "mfic" related instructions handle? Now, usually in an interrupt topology, that entire external interrupt controller would be mapped to a single hardware interrupt line on the PSP. Which one???

(So, like, you'd get an Interrupt exception, check the cause register to see which interrupt. Ooops! Its interrupt X, that means its one of a zillion interrupts caused by this external interrupt hardware. So lets query the external interrupt hardware to see whats up.)

I'm just looking for the value of "X" I guess.

Keep it above the waterline, mate
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

its updated again, check the changelog for details :) this time including a lot of exception/irq related reversing (hopefully answers sea monsters questions :)) and flash related stuff.

-> http://hitmen.c02.at/html/psp_docs.html

have fun!
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

seamonster: your a most interesting sea creature ;)

groepaz: http://pastebin.com/721724
i highly doubt 26 is reserved but we will see
for now it is reserved :P