PMP Mod V1.02 / small mods

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

malloc

PMP Mod V1.02 / small mods

Post by malloc »

I created a new topic for the small mods I do on the amazing PMP Mod player (great work Jonny !!!).

I'll keep this first post updated with the new versions. And this thread will keep track of the suggestions, comments, and bug reports of the mods only.
Jonny works on the core player / decoder, so anything related to this should be discussed here : http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4528.

Raphael added a lot of new features (skin, bugfixes etc...), you'll find the links to these new versions in this thread from page2 :)

Latest version from Raphael using Jonny's 1.02 core -> Page 5
Last edited by malloc on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

hi anychance of uploading to somewhere other than rapidshare, i can never get anything to download off there.

Some forums (like mine) have the ability to upload which makes it easy to keep all files together for releases.

Great work anyway :)
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
Mr.Modem

Post by Mr.Modem »

Goldrusher

Post by Goldrusher »

Best thing since PSP launch and first homebrew.

Awesome !
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

cheers thats much better :)
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
Dnim

Post by Dnim »

merci, =)

Neila
LVX
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

small interface is so good
weav2k4

Re: PMP Mod V1.00 / small mods

Post by weav2k4 »

malloc wrote:I created a new topic for the small mods I do on the amazing PMP Mod player (great work Jonny !!!).

I'll keep this first post updated with the new versions. And this thread will keep track of the suggestions, comments, and bug reports of the mods only.
Jonny works on the core player / decoder, so anything related to this should be discussed here : http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4528.

Last version (M3) :
  • - Fixed a small bug in the saved position handling when a video was ended, and then replayed
    - Added a small interface opened with START button, displaying the psp clock time, video time, video position, zoom mode, volume boost & luminosity mode.
    - Moved the seek to start on the HOME button
    - Added a high speed seek if X is pressed while LEFT / RIGHT is used
executable:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11106558/pmpmod_m3.zip.html

full sources:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11106633/pmp ... e.zip.html

The interface is in the 256x80 32 Bits INTERF.TGA. Feel free to edit this TGA to design a better looking interface ;) (the size needs to be 256x80, it's mirrored verticaly, and the Alpha layer is very important and used for transparency)

malloc,

Great work but I'm noticing that the player might be having trouble with playing and your new timer display. Encodes that I've played many times before with all of your older versions were fine on those builds, but now I get audio ticks/pops which suggests you might be running low on cpu cycles to run your enhancements and decoding the video with this newest version. I tried it on about 6 trailers I've done both high and low bit rates and it really only pops and cracks on high motion scenes. They stutter whether your timer display was on screen or not.. this is the reason I think it's simply running out of steam.

Just letting you know what I see on my machine.

Keep up the excellent work.

Weav2k4
TestType

Post by TestType »

Thanks malloc, great work! Your improvements are much appreciated.
This latest version is just great, the OSD was a much, much needed addon for the player and the high speed seek was also very much needed since the player doesn't have a 'go to' feature.

Thanks again!
PSP: Japanese Firmware 1.0 :: 1gb SanDisk Memory Stick
permarco

Post by permarco »

just downladed the mod now and ... i cannot see any interface at all :(, all the other features works like charm (fast fw rew and the home button that jumps to the start of the clip). The only thing i can notice is that if i press start and then resize using the select button i got a "strange" flickering in the part of the screen that is not "covered" by the clip :O.

I really appreciate your work (jonny's and malloc's one :D), i just wanted to notice you this strange "bug", maybe because i own a jap psp?

Bye bye and thanks :D

PS sorry for my poor english :D

edit: just got a message from a friend of mine: he got the same exact problems with his JAP PSP (PSP-1000 White). Bye ;)
malloc

Post by malloc »

@permarco : did you rename the application folder ? The path to the interface file is hardcoded (for now), so the application needs to be in \PSP\GAME\PMPMOD\ (like it is in the zip file), otherwise it won't be able to find the tga file.

@weav2k4: I wasn't aware of that issue (I tried all the videos and trailers I had and didn't notice any sound drop on those). It's probably because now all the blits are done with the GU so that the interface can be displayed (the previous version was using the GU blit only with ZOOM modes, and was using a framebuffer in memory when no zoom mode was used -> which is a bit quicker). I'll see if I can do something to speed up things with the GU, or avoid using the GU if the interface is not displayed, and no ZOOM modes are used. I left the previous version online, during that time if you have any troubles with your videos, you can use the old here : http://rapidshare.de/files/10653994/pmpmod.zip.html
daurnimator

Post by daurnimator »

Hi maloc

Thanks for putting the sources in a single package, when i get home i'll try compiling them, maybe i'll finally have some luck....

Good job

Daurnimator
permarco

Post by permarco »

malloc wrote:@permarco : did you rename the application folder ? The path to the interface file is hardcoded (for now), so the application needs to be in \PSP\GAME\PMPMOD\ (like it is in the zip file), otherwise it won't be able to find the tga file.
thanks malloc, i was using PsickoPortable to sort icons so i got the directory PSPMOD renamed in something like "PSPMOD 1", now i renamed back the application folder to PSPMOD and everything runs smoothly :D.

bye and thanks :D.
Dnim

Post by Dnim »

@malloc

does start from POSition of file rebuffer one second?
LVX
pegasus

Hi

Post by pegasus »

Hi to everyone.. Thx Malloc and Johnny for this greAT piece of software..

I have converted a full movie of National Treasure and works like a charm.. no skipping like the other guy says..

Now my problem is, can i hide the "Corrupted Data" icon because it annoys me..

Everytime i do renaming the folder to xPMPx__________________________1
and xPMPx_~1% it just removes the MENU.

You know the one you saw when you press the start button

Edit.

As i have noticed the tga file is located in PMPMOD folder and probably Malloc written it to be in there, no other folder name.
xbox360

Re: PMP Mod V1.00 / small mods

Post by xbox360 »

weav2k4 wrote:
malloc wrote:I created a new topic for the small mods I do on the amazing PMP Mod player (great work Jonny !!!).

Last version (M3) :
  • - Fixed a small bug in the saved position handling when a video was ended, and then replayed
    - Added a small interface opened with START button, displaying the psp clock time, video time, video position, zoom mode, volume boost & luminosity mode.
    - Moved the seek to start on the HOME button
    - Added a high speed seek if X is pressed while LEFT / RIGHT is used
executable:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11106558/pmpmod_m3.zip.html

full sources:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11106633/pmp ... e.zip.html

The interface is in the 256x80 32 Bits INTERF.TGA. Feel free to edit this TGA to design a better looking interface ;) (the size needs to be 256x80, it's mirrored verticaly, and the Alpha layer is very important and used for transparency)

malloc,

Great work but I'm noticing that the player might be having trouble with playing and your new timer display. Encodes that I've played many times before with all of your older versions were fine on those builds, but now I get audio ticks/pops which suggests you might be running low on cpu cycles to run your enhancements and decoding the video with this newest version. I tried it on about 6 trailers I've done both high and low bit rates and it really only pops and cracks on high motion scenes. They stutter whether your timer display was on screen or not.. this is the reason I think it's simply running out of steam.

Just letting you know what I see on my machine.

Keep up the excellent work.

Weav2k4
yes,i have same problem:(
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

I can also confirm the ticking/popping on my own 900kpbs xvid encodes, I'm going to test the earlier mods to determine whether it's only related to M3. (edit - I was previously running 1100kbps divx files with no problem, so this may be an xvid-only issue.)

malloc, great work on the mods! I think the easiest way to spot this audio issue going forward is to use jonny's SP2 trailer encode as our control sample (first time I used those words since high school chem lol). Using M3, you'll hear the ticking near the 2:00min mark where the action gets heavy (it differed slightly scene-to-scene each time I played it back as to when the ticking was audible, but it was prevalent in each try).

In the mean time, I'm going to switch back to M1 or M2 temporarily to run more divx/xvid tests, but I'll definitely miss the nice interface. Keep up the great work malloc!
Last edited by k0nan on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
LwRedStorm

speed loss

Post by LwRedStorm »

Bonjour Malloc,

Many thanks for your add's on the jonny pmpmod.
Just a word to say that the interface menu is wonderful. It would be great to have a full graphical prog, with graphical files selection too.

I have noticed loke others audio problems with the M3 version with xvid ASP no b frame encoded films.

Thanks again for your excellent work.
LwRed
malloc

Post by malloc »

Ok I'll check with the jonny's SP2 trailer encode, and will try to improve
the playback speed.
The GU is slowing down the display, I'll try to use a double buffered list,
to avoid a VSync wait, but I think that it will never be as fast as the old
display function (video buffer in RAM). If I can't get the same speed, I'll
put back the old display function if no interface is displayed & no zoom
are used, but I'll still need the GU for the zoom and the interface display.

Oh, and the next update will probably have a better file selection interface ;)
jonny

Post by jonny »

hi malloc :)

pmp_show_thread function is time critical.
you have between 1/38 and 2/38 seconds to complete it (38 -> 44100/1152)
not too much, considering that sceDisplayWaitVblankStart can take 1/60 seconds

you can try to move this code:

Code: Select all

if (pmp_wait(p, p->semaphore_show_done, "pmp_output_thread: sceKernelWaitSema failed on semaphore_show_done") == 0)
	{
	break;
	}

if (first_video_frame == 1)
	{
	first_video_frame = 0;
	}
else
	{
	if &#40;sceKernelSignalSema&#40;p->semaphore_can_put, 1&#41; < 0&#41;
		&#123;
		p->return_result  = "pmp_output_thread&#58; sceKernelSignalSema failed on semaphore_can_put";
		p->return_request = 1;
		break;
		&#125;
	&#125;

after:

Code: Select all

if &#40;p->seek == 0&#41;
	&#123;
	int i = 1;
	for &#40;; i < current_buffer->number_of_audio_frames; i++&#41;
		&#123;
		sceAudioOutputBlocking&#40;0, PSP_AUDIO_VOLUME_MAX, current_buffer->audio_frame + 4608 * i&#41;;
		&#125;

sceKernelDelayThread&#40;current_buffer->last_delay&#41;;
	&#125;
this should give some more time to pmp_show_thread (can't check it now because i'm at work, but theorically should work)
malloc

Post by malloc »

Thanks Jonny, I'll try that tonight :)
LwRedStorm

New version

Post by LwRedStorm »

@malloc
@jonny

I am sure the next version will be perfect. (i am trying like many others to make cygwin and toolchain worl :-( in order to start with psp programming and spend many hour in psp dev)

Thanks again for the time you spend for the psp scene.
LwRed
slrig

Post by slrig »

Hi, malloc, you and jonny both do great jobs ~!!
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

Also has anyone noticed that when use "SELECT" to toggle screen ZOOM, it doesn't properly clear the background to black when going from 480x272 back to 4:3 (say, 368x272) - the stretched image is left on both left & right while content playing in the center in 4:3. Press "START" to bring out the info bars clear the background to black.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Hi there,

I just tried to compile pmpmod m3 by myself and work on some other additions on it, however I have problems getting it compile.
First it wouldn't compile libavformat, because the file ogg/ogg.h was missing, so I downloaded it from the svn and put it into the directory. So libavformat compiled but on the linking stage it would fail because it needed libogg ~ well, checked out svn and compiled libogg (after quite some reading through it, cause it's little confusing on how to compile it correctly) and did a make install. After again trying to compile pmpmod it now gives me following errors:

../libavformat.a(ogg.o): In function `ogg_write_header':
/home/Alexander/pmpmod/libavformat/ogg.c:39: undefined reference to `ogg_stream_
init'
/home/Alexander/pmpmod/libavformat/ogg.c:71: undefined reference to `ogg_stream_
packetin'
../libavformat.a(ogg.o): In function `ogg_write_packet':
/home/Alexander/pmpmod/libavformat/ogg.c:97: undefined reference to `ogg_stream_
flush'
/home/Alexander/pmpmod/libavformat/ogg.c:112: undefined reference to `ogg_stream
_packetin'
/home/Alexander/pmpmod/libavformat/ogg.c:114: undefined reference to `ogg_stream
_pageout'
../libavformat.a(ogg.o): In function `ogg_write_trailer':
/home/Alexander/pmpmod/libavformat/ogg.c:129: undefined reference to `ogg_stream
_flush'
/home/Alexander/pmpmod/libavformat/ogg.c:135: undefined reference to `ogg_stream
_clear'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [PMPMOD.elf] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Alexander/pmpmod/pmpmod'
make: *** [all] Error 2

So what's the problem there? I already compiled libavformat without errors, but when compiling pmpmod it tells me this.
Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and thanks to jonny and malloc for their work in this :)
malloc

Post by malloc »

I've updated the first post with the new version (M4), it should fix all the issues previously reported :D

@Jonny : moving the code didn't help much, so I've tried different other techniques, and managed to get something as quick as the setbuffer with the GU. (But I've put back the setbuffer if the interface is not displayed & no zoom, just to be sure to have the maximum speed!)

@Raphael : did you get the correct library from SVN ? Because you shouldn't have to manualy copy over the ogg.h files if the library is correctly installed inside the pspsdk to compile.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Well, I thought I did. I checked out svn and did make and make install after running the autoinstall.sh to create the correct makefiles and configs.
I'll just try to compile your new m4 right away, if that works I'll start adding my own stuff again :)
wooolF

Re: PMP Mod V1.00 / small mods [M4]

Post by wooolF »

malloc wrote: - added USB activation in selection menu (refresh file list with START)
- fixed small slowdown creating more audio drop than the previous versions (it should be as quick as the first versions now)
Great work dude! can't wait till tomorrow to try it out :D will report when I've tested.

by the way:
jonny wrote:@hyedipin:

sometime mencoder seems to write a null first frame (a frame with a length of 0 bytes, not marked as keyframe)
i wasn't able to replicate this myself, seems related only to some mencoder versions (one user experienced this on a powerpc binary)
i'll handle this in the next version
probably today i'll release 1.01 (it will be a bugfix only release)
Will we see a new "M5" based on 1.01 later on? Just curious =)
jonny

Post by jonny »

@malloc:

the setbuffer trick was a nice discovering in the sdk jungle :)

@Raphael:

in 1.01 i've removed zlib and ogg, compiling will be less problematic
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Well I finally got it to compile, after reinstalling libogg. What a mess that is if not done 100% correctly. Up to now I just added Size/Date information to the file selection screen, but I got some other ideas I want to add.

@jonny:
I already wondered why libogg was necessary, even though no ogg is used in your player :)
well, it's hard putting new formats in a codec/player, but it's also hard getting it out again ;) I'm already keen on seeingg 1.01
I also read somewhere in the other thread, that you plan a new GUI for the next version, is that correct? Will that GUI be graphicbased or just a remake of the current debugScreen GUI? If not, probably I'd give it a try to get a graphics based GUI working, even though my first attempt to get textures loaded and blitted with GU with the sdk blit example just made the program crash. Need more experience in how to correctly code for PSP, as there seem some basic differences in how to correctly allocate and free memory and also reading files from MS. Maybe I'll just take a deeper look at how malloc got the interface working.