PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jonny

PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Post by jonny »

This thread is only for application-specific discussion of PMP Mod, issues, updates, suggestions, feedback.

Official site:

http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/

Trailers (mpeg4 asp):

Spiderman 2
Madagascar
Serenity
I Robot

Getting help:

First of all, look at the "Common problems" section on my site, many problems can be addressed with the info contained in this page.
If you are totally lost, look at the "Guides" section, always on my site.

If you think you have a problem not already reported, please post in this thread.
Detailed infos are needed in order to replicate the problem.
This means software used (with exact version number) and infos about the video/audio and encoding parameters.
You can also use rapidshare.de to upload clips that show the problem (of course make sure no copyright infringement when doing this).
Use this rule: if making the report takes less then 10 minutes, you are probably going to do a not complete/useful report.

What happen when the psp is not able to handle decoding in realtime:

I've uploaded a clip showing what happen when the psp is not able to handle decoding in realtime:
Spiderman 2 Trailer Heavy
(the clip is encoded at quant 1)
It shows how the audio skips on this situation.

Random notes:

The player should be reasonably stable and fast (it's totally rewritten, i'm using only libavcodec as external library).
Basic functions like pause and seek are implemented (the only basic stuff missing is the zoom function for low resolution encodes).
Video and audio will never desync, but if a scene is too power demanding, you'll notice audio jumping.
Battery consumption is around 40% for a 2 hours movie.

Some icons and bgs:

http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/pmp_mod/bgs.htm

Thanks to everyone helping!
Last edited by jonny on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:27 am, edited 42 times in total.
Produkt

Post by Produkt »

Wonderfull work man, Tested out a couple videos and no studders as of yet

Going to test a full length movie soon, You have saved me loads of space on my memory stick :D Much appreciation!
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

thanks a lot, will test it asap

video: resolution 608x256 , resized, so it looks like 16:9 (in virtualdub--filters--add)
this is a simple solution if your source is something different than 16:9, e.g. cinemascope or 4:3 or something

--------

video (drawn together 2x04) 480x272
was with vbr mp3 audio. solution: extraction to wav with virtualdub, re-encoding with 128kbps cbr with besweet.
extraction of the video without audio with virtualdub. xvid 1500kbps one-pass (quality good, though)
muxing --> runs perfect.

--------

another one:
video resized to 480x272, dual-pass with xvid 900kbps vid and 128 KB cbr mp3 audio. looking good, no studders. seeking works

--------

sometimes i get the error pmp_encode_error: audio length (or something like that)!= 4608 ????
Last edited by imhotep on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

Why can't we use avi files?
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

Shapyi wrote:Why can't we use avi files?
you can, read some tutorials jonny mentioned + the readme. xvid means avi...
Last edited by imhotep on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

Great work Jonny! The Spiderman 2 trailer looks brilliant. I just wish it were easier to convert my dvdrips from their normal res w/AC3 to the PSP's res with MP3.

What do you guys recommend? I'm thinking a VirtualDub profile would do the trick for batch conversions. But since VDub can only output audio to WAV format, I would then use AVIMux to output the MP3. Is there a less cumbersome process you guys are using?

imhotep, what program is that you're using?

-nevermind, see you're using the resize filter on vdub, I'll try that out.
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

k0nan wrote:
-nevermind, see you're using the resize filter on vdub, I'll try that out.
yup, did work for me. i'll post my other findings above ;) see ya

btw, jonny, it would be really cool if you could add the ability to add chapters and/or subtitles (srt or similar). but thanks a lot again for this cool release, no longer do i "have" to buy umds :)
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

Ok, I first tried to convert AC3>MP3 using BeSweet, and Jonny's muxer gave me 'sync error'. I then tried converting using lame within Vdub, and I get a 'read error' from the muxer. Finally I tried a different xvid with an MP3 source vbr 48k, used Vdub/lame to downsample to cbr 44k, still getting the 'read error' when using the muxer. Read a bunch of guides, something I'm overlooking?
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

imhotep wrote:
Shapyi wrote:Why can't we use avi files?
you can, read some tutorials jonny mentioned + the readme. xvid means avi...
Well I meant that we need to use the *.pmp container rather than just the *.avi container. Will there be an avi muxer built into the program in future versions? I'm just wondering.
miemt11

Re: PMP Mod v1.00 + PMP Muxer v1.00

Post by miemt11 »

Wow, that fast, release with out warning (Just Kidding)

Thanks You

jonny wrote:Ok, if finally got this $£"%$&! version out! :)

http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/

I wasn't able to crash it in the last 10 days, it should be stable and reasonably fast.

The player is totally rewritten (now i'm using only libavcodec from FFMPEG).

Zoom option is still missing (for videos with width and height < 480x272), apart from this, basic functions are here (pause and seek).

Everything is quite optimized, plus, i use a buffer of about 1 second to prevent slowdown on complexity spikes and keep the psp spinning frames.

It's programmed in a way that av will never desync (when a scene is too power demanding you'll notice audio skipping).

Today i've tested the battery, the app eat ~40% for a 2 hours movie (not bad considering the cpu @333 and the me running).

it's all for now :)

PS:
I've rapidshared another trailer: http://rapidshare.de/files/10287073/Spi ... r.pmp.html
Hellboy trailer will no more work (i've changed the format a bit).
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

Awesome job!!!!!
Only two complaints:
The muxer GUI. I could code a nice GUI for you if you want to give me the PMP container specs (I briefly looked through source for 30 seconds, gave up for tonight) :).

Needing to demux audio. It'd be cool if the audio and video could be demuxed in the program automatically, but I suppose it's not to much of a hassle to do it manually.

Otherwise, good job!!!!
imhotep

Re: PMP Mod v1.00 + PMP Muxer v1.00

Post by imhotep »

jonny wrote:

PS:
I've rapidshared another trailer: http://rapidshare.de/files/10287073/Spi ... r.pmp.html
Hellboy trailer will no more work (i've changed the format a bit).
could you tell me one thing: with which programs do you get such amazing results ??
arex

Post by arex »

thx jonny,great works!

anyone who find this problem ----some PMP done by the muxer can't play ,it display "pmp_lib_open:frames size can't be 0" ?? but with the same way some PMP can play correctly.....
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

RATiX wrote:Awesome job!!!!!
Only two complaints:
The muxer GUI. I could code a nice GUI for you if you want to give me the PMP container specs (I briefly looked through source for 30 seconds, gave up for tonight) :).

Needing to demux audio. It'd be cool if the audio and video could be demuxed in the program automatically, but I suppose it's not to much of a hassle to do it manually.

Otherwise, good job!!!!
would be cool. keep in mind that many avi's have the hack with VBR mp3 audio. but if you could implement besweet and a demuxer that would solve the problem, i think ...(?)
LaMa

Post by LaMa »

Oh man... AWESOME work Johny!

I've been following your progress since day one and you've come a long way. Amazing performance! The idea of using a custum PMP container was brilliant.

I've been encoding/editing/synchronizing/subbing for years now and I wish to say to everyone... these few additional required VirtualDub/Besweet steps are really no big deal. It's easy as pie, once you get the hang of it.

I'm looking forward to your future updates.
Maybe you can manage to squeeze in a couple more handy features, such as real-time display of .srt's. However this is definitely not a necessity, since we can also hard code them into the video stream with VirtualDub.

Let's see how far PMP will come along...

Thank you Johny!

-LaMa
Ninja

Post by Ninja »

I'm getting this error: invalid dwTotalFrames

Anyone knows what could cause this??
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

This is some great stuff mate. It was kind of confusing at first (for a newbie like myself...), but you know what they say, practice makes perfect :) It'd be nice if the next muxer will simplify this process :)

Cheers.
GiBBz

Post by GiBBz »

thanx heaps jonny, this muxer doesnt like LameACM MP3s encoded in VirtualDubMod, so i use a RazorLame frontend using Lame3.96.1 to encode my audio, otherwise it was "sync lost". And of course nothing beats Avisyth+VD for encoding ;)

I'm using XviD 1.1.0b2 are you guys using XviD 1.03?

WHOO! thanx jonny
(+.[____]·:·)
GiBBz

Post by GiBBz »

Ninja wrote:I'm getting this error: invalid dwTotalFrames

GMC, Q-Pel, Bidirectional frames maybe although i think this supports B-Frames, how many warp points jonny for bframes?
(+.[____]·:·)
csuper

Great Job Jonny ! :) (From France)

Post by csuper »

OK, I will start by a big "Olla" to you... I really like what you've done ! :)
It seems promissing !
So... my tests are :
I succeed to make 1 videos only (almost 3 but with the 2 other ones I get some errors that maybe someone will explain to me) :
For information : I use XVID 1.1 final.
1. Xvid/VBR mp3 file of 30 MB (4min) => I reeconde the xvid with the software called RIPP-IT-AFTER-ME. (I transformed the video in 480*272 with xvid (hdtv profile) and I demux the audio with virtualDUb mp3->wav and with besweet wav->CBR mp3), I mux the file - no problem and the file is read perfectly on my PSP.
2. and 3. I try Two more BIG files of 7 minutes and 20 minutes...
I used the same tools but when i mux the video/audio i get the same problem twice : 'read error' at 100 frames before the end of the video parsing...

I didn't succeed to get new files working now... i don't know what's wrong... seems the muxer doesn't like xvid 1.1 final
XVID 1.1 ? HDTV profile (without GMC; Quant... etc <- i use basic) ? Lenght of the files ?

Anyway I will try this evening some new files...

csuper.

Ps : For the "real-time display of .srt's" count me in interested ;)
xbox360

Post by xbox360 »

good work guy:)
Eternal-Blue

Post by Eternal-Blue »

What codecs are possible to use? Only xvid or other too? (AVC like x264 in 480x272?^^)
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

Eternal-Blue wrote:What codecs are possible to use? Only xvid or other too? (AVC like x264 in 480x272?^^)
Divx, Xvid, 3ivx all support, as long it is a MPEG-4

But the author recommend Xvid
xbox360

Post by xbox360 »

convert to avi using mencoder core with winmenc GUI ,dump audio with goldwave ,then mix it ,but put in the video folder ,the pmp says ,could not open 0 frame or some other nfos :(
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

To jonny:

Just a little suggestion.

It is possible to enable the PSP to go to sleep mode. when running PMP MOD
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

suggestion 2:

allow pmp files without audio...
arex

Post by arex »

xbox360 wrote:convert to avi using mencoder core with winmenc GUI ,dump audio with goldwave ,then mix it ,but put in the video folder ,the pmp says ,could not open 0 frame or some other nfos :(
i found the same problem.....
reveine

I's and Densha Otoko in PMP format

Post by reveine »

Hi guys,

I registered today to show my appreciation to Jonny and his great work!

For those who haven't got a clue how to make a PMP video, I have made two PMP clips using Virtualdubmod for video and Besweet for audio. The quality is absolutely stunning. The first clip is the openning movie of Densha Otoko (9 MB) and the second one is the first episode of anime series "I's Pure" (200 MB). I encoded using the following specs.

video: xvid 786 kbps cbr, 480x272 pixels, 29.97 fps
audio: mp3 160kbps cbr, 44,100 kHz

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f= ... 650101be65
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f= ... 5a065f6158

Hope you guys enjoy the clips and appreciate Jonny for his hard work.
Last edited by reveine on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xbox360

Post by xbox360 »

thx:)ill try it
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

GiBBz wrote:
Ninja wrote:I'm getting this error: invalid dwTotalFrames

GMC, Q-Pel, Bidirectional frames maybe although i think this supports B-Frames, how many warp points jonny for bframes?
quote from jonny:
MPEG-4 ASP is supported (for performance reasons MPEG-4 SP is recommended, so no B-Frames, QPEL and GMC)

--
error happens when i use uncompressed avi files.