Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

ViTi95 wrote: the problem i have with chuck yeager is with the keyboard. i've tested every single key to push more power on the airplane, but always does nothing. any idea??
Every game has a menu that pulls up a GUI to change the controls. Use it to check what the throttle is mapped to. If it's something like the numeric keypad, you'll have to either change it or remap some of the PSP buttons to mimic those keys. That's the thing about IR keyboards - they're not a FULL keyboard... and the danzeff OSK is even less full than that.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Okay people, we're really getting down to the nitty-gritty... the goalpost is in sight. I'm tempted to consider this RC1.

Here's test 20. MAJOR changes:

The floating point has been SUBSTANTIALLY rewritten. I've incorporated SoftFloat into the FPU emulation to get extended precision floating point. I've also added most of the FPU functionality that's usually only present in B2 when using x86 assembly. The only compromise left is the transcendental functions are still done in double precision. I seem to have cured most of the FPU problems - the scrollbars in OS8.x work, Arashi and Maelstrom play properly, the calculator gives proper answers... I'd appreciate it if people really checked this as well as they can. This was a BIG rewrite of B2 code (for the FPU). This code should also be portable, so it could help folks trying to port B2 to other platforms as well. Given the rewrite in the FPU and other more minor changes to the B2 code that AREN'T platform specific, I've decided to bump the B2 version from 1.0 to 1.1.

The Mac would hang on RESTART, and I don't feel like chasing that bug down, so I altered B2 to shut down on restart instead of trying to restart. So instead of the PSP hanging and people screaming about that, now they'll just whine about the emulator shutting down instead of restarting. :)

Fixed some other minor bugs, but spent so much time on the FPU that I don't remember them anymore. :D

I still haven't heard any feedback on the IR keyboard support. I'd appreciate it.

MediaFire
binary
source

SendSpace
binary
source
RyanfromtheShire

Post by RyanfromtheShire »

Nice! As soon as OS 8.1 comes in from ebay I'll test it out! XD
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Brilliant stuff J.F. - I didn't expect you to re-write the FPU emulation :O
Gonna test it hardcore later xD
RyanfromtheShire

Well so far, the hardfile maker is working for me! It didn't work on the last release for me (probably cause of my theme),

And is there internet in the future? I thought I remembered you saying it's not possible but I don't get the network error when I boot up anymore.

edit: I forgot to switch it from mac os 7.x to 8.x hahaha. Now I'm installing 8.1.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

RyanfromtheShire wrote:Well so far, the hardfile maker is working for me! It didn't work on the last release for me (probably cause of my theme),

And is there internet in the future? I thought I remembered you saying it's not possible but I don't get the network error when I boot up anymore.

edit: I forgot to switch it from mac os 7.x to 8.x hahaha. Now I'm installing 8.1.
The hardfile creation code didn't change... hasn't since I wrote it. :)

My tests with raw sockets is still ongoing, but not positive so far. So it doesn't look good for general networking. :(

Over the last few builds, I've improved my net code so you can retry connecting properly when connecting fails. That part of the code has improved quite a bit compared to what I wrote for Doom.
RyanfromtheShire

Well I have no idea what was happening before, but can create hardfiles now! haha.

I'm staring at the install screen for 8.1 right now. As soon as it finishes I'll test out some more stuff.

And I've been thinking about getting an ir keyboard for a while, I might go ahead and just get one off ebay or something.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The best keyboard, in my opinion, is the Palm 3169WW. You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere - the link is just to show what I'm referring to. It's MUCH better than the Targus. The Targus can be found MUCH cheaper, though, since it's not as good. I paid about $70 for my Palm last year, and only $5 for my Targus. I would still recommend the Palm over the Targus... unless you're a cheap rat-bastard. :)
RyanfromtheShire

Yeah, as a musician money doesn't really come in all that often haha.

But $50 for the palm keyboard isn't that bad. Maybe I can put it on my credit card. :)
gelon

Post by gelon »

i have Targus one and works pefect with all Zx81 emulators and games itself, i've no other keyboard so i'll give a Targus try
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

gelon wrote:i have Targus one and works pefect with all Zx81 emulators and games itself, i've no other keyboard so i'll give a Targus try
Works fine in B2... as long as you have their IR arm aligned correctly. That's perhaps my biggest complaint - the IR arm is hard to get aligned with the PSP's IR port, and if it isn't just right, you'll get garbage instead of data, leading to incorrect key presses and stuck keys. The Palm is MUCH more forgiving about the IR alignment... in fact, the Palm can be a few feet away from the PSP and only pointed in the general direction and it'll still work fine. :)

If you're not sure it's working correctly, pull up the Key Caps desk accessory. That'll show keys as you press them, and if any keys are stuck down.
RyanfromtheShire

Oregon trail works, though I only get sound when hunting, and then I only get the sound of the gun. On 8.1.

Calc works very well, for me, as well.

I don't really have many apps, so that's all I've tested so far.

It was running kinda slow, so I set the cpu to 333/166...and it seems to have sped up a bit.

What all video formats can quicktime 2.5 play?
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

So what ya planning to do right now?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Start on some documentation and put together a proper archive. This is pretty much what I wanted for the official release. I'd have liked to have general networking, but that looks like a no-go.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

J.F. wrote:Start on some documentation and put together a proper archive. This is pretty much what I wanted for the official release. I'd have liked to have general networking, but that looks like a no-go.
Oh darn... Oh well, so you're done coding this?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:
J.F. wrote:Start on some documentation and put together a proper archive. This is pretty much what I wanted for the official release. I'd have liked to have general networking, but that looks like a no-go.
Oh darn... Oh well, so you're done coding this?
Pretty much. I'll probably work on a few more things later - like improving the sound support, but nothing like the work I've done the last three weeks.
RyanfromtheShire

Well I really appreciate everything you've done!
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Me too! Maybe some other coders can add ethernet support, but that's hard. Thanks for everything! I love my PSP even more now!
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

nice job JF, but have you consider to try and get games to play a ti bit faster like doom or duke nukem i mean thas if you want too not really necesary im just pointing that out, as i am guessing that would be to much work but yea if you dont its all good you have done a great job giving us a perfect B2 emu and i thanku for that =D

Again awesome job JF

hope to see you in another great project for the psp
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

siulmagic wrote:nice job JF, but have you consider to try and get games to play a ti bit faster like doom or duke nukem i mean thas if you want too not really necesary im just pointing that out, as i am guessing that would be to much work but yea if you dont its all good you have done a great job giving us a perfect B2 emu and i thanku for that =D

Again awesome job JF

hope to see you in another great project for the psp
The only way the Mac will get any faster is with a JIT core. You're lucky you get the speed you do. I'm REALLY surprised at how fast it is using a plain c/c++ interpreting CPU core like it is. Seriously, this is like dosbox getting 386 speeds without JIT.

Here's the first run-through on the manual.

MediaFire
manual

SendSpace
manual
Wally

Post by Wally »

Good good!

Now can you work on Daedalus ;) JK.. I know its every devs nightmare.

Wally
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

J.F.
Great job! Thank you for such awesome port :)

May be you could have a look on CrazyC DosBox port?
How do you think is it possible to speedup emulation?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:Good good!

Now can you work on Daedalus ;) JK.. I know its every devs nightmare.

Wally
Actually, PSP UAE is next. They'd skin me alive if I put it off again. :D

At least most of the work done here can be applied back to UAE.
RyanfromtheShire

Here's the first run-through on the manual.

MediaFire
manual

SendSpace
manual
Great doc!

I'll be looking forward to your PSP UAE work!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I made some corrections and additions to it. The final version that comes with the program is in PDF format since I'm sure many people would faint if confronted with an ODF document. :)

In case folks hadn't noticed, I went ahead and put together a release package that I posted on my google page and at exophase.

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=8149

The program itself is the same as build 20. It has a readme and the pdf formatted guide.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

J.F. wrote:I made some corrections and additions to it. The final version that comes with the program is in PDF format since I'm sure many people would faint if confronted with an ODF document. :)

In case folks hadn't noticed, I went ahead and put together a release package that I posted on my google page and at exophase.

The program itself is the same as build 20. It has a readme and the pdf formatted guide.
You're Chilly Willy? Then you know who I am. Lol, the same name as exophase Forum.
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
RyanfromtheShire

J.F. wrote:I made some corrections and additions to it. The final version that comes with the program is in PDF format since I'm sure many people would faint if confronted with an ODF document. :)

haha I didn't know you were chilly willy either. XD

I use open office, so ODF was fine for me.

I'm gonna go ahead and share this with dgemu.com/forums where I mod at.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Really, it was one of the worst "secrets" there was... J.F. would be working on MediaEngine stuff here and Chilly would have it in SNES9x; Chilly would use intraFont in something like Doom and J.F. would talk about the patches he made to early intraFont while writing Doom; heck, even a bunch of stuff from J.F. was hosted at Chilly Willy's Ice Flow. :D

Feel free to post the "official" packages around.
GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to ask this, but can anyone help me in the unpacking of the System_7.5.3.smi that Apple has up for download? I don't own a Mac, I don't know anyone who owns a Mac, and I can't install Mac OS unless someone with a Mac can unpack the above file and create a ROM. I heard it is in a 6-floppy-disk format though, will that work with Basilisk II PSP? I am also unsure if I correctly stitched the 19 part.bin files together (all I did was use the Windows 'copy /b *.* System_7.5.3.smi' command).
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

.smi files are self-mounting images. It's an executable program that mounts a disk image on the desktop. If you download a .smi file to a PC, you just lost the executable part of the file. .smi files usually come as binhex or hqx files. Leave it that way until you have it on the Mac, then decode it with StuffIt Expander. At that point it will be a proper Mac program you can run.