Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:It SHOULD. That's one of the things I added to this. Once I get everything going, I can work on improvements, like supporting more than just the Sound Manager... support should be added for the older Sound Device as well.

Some of the games I run on the 68K Mac are chosen specifically for how they do the sound. Each one uses one of the older methods of sound production. That gives me a way to test the sound support.
I wonder, is shufflepuck cafe amoungst your little collection of games :)

So i guess nothing new yet?
Yep! And nope! Shufflepuck Cafe is rather fun, I liked playing that even beyond just testing with it. Spectre is another that was not only a good test, but fun.
Soo i guess theres a compiled build waiting :D
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Not yet. I had a slight break while I updated my dev system to 8.04. I just got the sdk set back up the other day, and most of the file types recognized again.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:Not yet. I had a slight break while I updated my dev system to 8.04. I just got the sdk set back up the other day, and most of the file types recognized again.
Hows it going (Jas0nuk wants to know :P)

Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:Not yet. I had a slight break while I updated my dev system to 8.04. I just got the sdk set back up the other day, and most of the file types recognized again.

Wally
If you noticed in the other thread, I just setup a Code::Blocks project for this so that I can more easily edit the errors I get compiling. I haven't finished that part yet. Once it compiles without error, I'll finally be into the good stuff. :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:

Wally
If you noticed in the other thread, I just setup a Code::Blocks project for this so that I can more easily edit the errors I get compiling. I haven't finished that part yet. Once it compiles without error, I'll finally be into the good stuff. :)
Which thread :P
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote: Hows it going (Jas0nuk wants to know :P)

Wally
The one by me on the first page of this forum with the words "Code::Blocks" in the title. :P :lol:
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote: If you noticed in the other thread, I just setup a Code::Blocks project for this so that I can more easily edit the errors I get compiling. I haven't finished that part yet. Once it compiles without error, I'll finally be into the good stuff. :)
The one by me on the first page of this forum with the words "Code::Blocks" in the title. :P :lol:
bahhhh :P
omba

I got a mac os 8 img

Post by omba »

hey everyone im new to this psp homebrew stuff, but ive been working at getting a mac os 8 rom if anyone wants it, il try to make soon: i uploaded a os 8 image file here: http://www.mediafire.com/?wmeydmwmhxj
Wally

Re: I got a mac os 8 img

Post by Wally »

omba wrote:hey everyone im new to this psp homebrew stuff, but ive been working at getting a mac os 8 rom if anyone wants it, il try to make soon: i uploaded a os 8 image file here: http://www.mediafire.com/?wmeydmwmhxj
This isnt legal, you cant post this..

Wally
Wally

Post by Wally »

hows it going J.F :)

Everything working yet?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I'm adding TV support to PSPGL right now.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:I'm adding TV support to PSPGL right now.
now thats done :P

can Wally now haz basilisk 2?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Not yet.
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Wally, I think the more you ask J.F. about when he'll release it, the more projects he'll come up with to delay it ;)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jas0nuk wrote:Wally, I think the more you ask J.F. about when he'll release it, the more projects he'll come up with to delay it ;)
Darn! Someone noticed!!
:)
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
jas0nuk wrote:Wally, I think the more you ask J.F. about when he'll release it, the more projects he'll come up with to delay it ;)
Darn! Someone noticed!!
Lol good find Jas0nuk :)

I saw your mockery on exophase too J.F, was awesome! :P o_O
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Not mockery, just a bit of dry wit. :)

Maybe a little self-deprecation thrown in on top.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Just to update folks, I'm working on the refresh routines right now. I've decided to try to get something out on this before finishing OpenAL.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Yay!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Okay Wally, I know you've been waiting...

Here's a test build. It's not meant to be used, it's for feedback on the GUI mainly. That doesn't mean it doesn't work - it boots my 8.0 CD just fine. It's just not usable yet due to limitations.

Ignore the crappy refresh routines - I'll be replacing them entirely in the next few days. I just used enough of a stretch blit to be able to see something to be certain the emu is running.

Currently, the analog stick is the mouse, with LTRIGGER/RTRIGGER as the buttons. The d-pad is the cursor keys, and X is ENTER. I'll eventually have denzef keyboard and pspirkeyb support, as well as the ability to remap the buttons when in that mode. As I mentioned, this is just a test.

The only volume you can select is the cdrom. You can select hardfiles, but they aren't remembered or used (yet). I'll put a floppy selector in there as well tomorrow or the next day.

The default directory for roms is "roms", the default dir for floppys is "disks" (and floppies should all have an extension of .dsk), the default dir for cdroms is "cdroms", and hardfiles is "hardfiles". It doesn't mean they HAVE to be in those directories, but that is where the file requester will go first.

I allow three Mac resolutions - 512x384, 640x480, and 768x576. You can select four different depths - 4bit, 8bit, 16bit, and 32bit. At the moment, the video is also hardcoded to only display on the LCD. I'll change that when I change the refresh routines.

The binary here is currently set for small memory so I could check how it would work on a phat - you can get up to 16M on a phat and 44M on the slim (not with this build - with a build set for large memory).

Anywho, here's the current test build and src arcs.

binary
source
Wally

Post by Wally »

OMFG YOU ACTUALLY RELEASED IT :O

AWESOME DUDE, Im gunna play with it tonight.

-edit-
The GUI looks nice, fairly decent and futuristic to play with!

Wally
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Wow. J.F., I love the GUI. Shame it doesn't load from hard files yet, but niice :)
Just one request: could you add a way of ending the emulation and going back to the menus without exiting?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jas0nuk wrote:Wow. J.F., I love the GUI. Shame it doesn't load from hard files yet, but niice :)
Just one request: could you add a way of ending the emulation and going back to the menus without exiting?
Yeah, it crashes on exit at the moment... haven't looked into that. Given how the PSP doesn't really need you to clean up after yourself, I might just shortcut that and exit without doing their cleanup. :)

Glad you like the GUI. I'm using the same code that I used for Doom. It's actually pretty small and flexible - about 600 lines handles everything from static text to selection controls. It makes for nice SIMPLE GUIs like you'd use on a limited system. I even used it for their alert system - try starting the emulation without a rom selected (just delete the rom line from the prefs file).

I'll make some more changes and upload another test probably later tonight.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

Ok I tested it and I noticed one thing (I don't know if it should be like that or not :P) the highlighted option when we enter the menu is title of the menu we are in but we dont know what is highlighted until we press a key :/

I can't test the real emulator as I don't know where to place the rom("roms" or "cdrom") and with what name :X
Upgrade your PSP
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Pirata Nervo wrote:Ok I tested it and I noticed one thing (I don't know if it should be like that or not :P) the highlighted option when we enter the menu is title of the menu we are in but we dont know what is highlighted until we press a key :/

I can't test the real emulator as I don't know where to place the rom("roms" or "cdrom") and with what name :X
Yes, I might change the hiliting a smidgen so that the current location is hilited always, just differently than when over an active control.

The ROM goes in roms. It can be any name, but the default B2 uses is "Mac.rom". Just press X when over the Rom filename entry in the GUI to get the file requester, then select the rom you wish. I'm using one named "Quadra900.rom", but like I said, the name doesn't matter. It could be called "kjhr3y4856739thkjergiw3y*&^%*&UG.&^GGHGJH" and it would work fine as long as you selected it in the file requester. :)

CDROMs go in "cdroms". You put a set of bin/cue files there. I don't yet use the cue file, but I will eventually so that CD with audio tracks will work in the emu. At the moment, CDs will work as long as they are just a single data session.

I found what causes the hang on exit - it's VideoExit(). Don't know what is wrong with it yet, I'm just going to skip it for now and look at it more later. I'm going to work on hardfiles and floppies right now.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

Ok I got an error and can't read it >.<
The message goes out of the screen (maybe you should fix this :P)

"Basilisk II error: Invalid ROM file size. Basilisk II require as 612 kb or MB MacII (I can't read the rest)"

so it needs to be macintosh II ?
Upgrade your PSP
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Pirata Nervo wrote:Ok I got an error and can't read it >.<
The message goes out of the screen (maybe you should fix this :P)

"Basilisk II error: Invalid ROM file size. Basilisk II require as 612 kb or MB MacII (I can't read the rest)"

so it needs to be macintosh II ?

Yeah, I should change that message as it's clearly intended for console output, not display on a PSP. :)

It means you aren't using a rom that's EXACTLY 512K or 1MB - the only roms supported are 512K and 1M roms. If you have a header on the rom, you need to strip it first. Also, the rom cannot be compressed. This is a limitation in B2 in acceptable roms. I might change that later to look for roms with headers and such.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Okay, here's test 2. Heaps of new stuff...

You can create and select hardfiles. Boots from hardfile fine, will ask to format blank hardfiles (the ones you create in the GUI).

You can select a floppy at the start. Boots from it fine. The next step is to make add the ability to change the floppy and cd while in B2. Press SELECT to see the change menu... it doesn't do anything other than show the first cd and floppy in their respective folders right now. Press SEL again to leave the menu.

binary
source
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:Okay, here's test 2. Heaps of new stuff...

You can create and select hardfiles. Boots from hardfile fine, will ask to format blank hardfiles (the ones you create in the GUI).

You can select a floppy at the start. Boots from it fine. The next step is to make add the ability to change the floppy and cd while in B2. Press SELECT to see the change menu... it doesn't do anything other than show the first cd and floppy in their respective folders right now. Press SEL again to leave the menu.

binary
source
Could you possibly allow basilisk 2 to make the hardfile folder on the fly?

Wally
Last edited by Wally on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hzhz85526

Post by hzhz85526 »

thank you for these