Jezzball clone

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

JEK

Jezzball clone

Post by JEK »

This is my version of the old game Jezzball.

Here it is

How to play:
Clear the board by isolating the balls from the rest of the board.
To advance to the next level, you have to clear at least 75 percent.

Keys:
Circle - Divide left/right
Cross - Divide up/down
--
JEK
Kojote

Post by Kojote »

simple but addictive :)
Kojote
Webmaster of PDroms & Retroguru
modcase

Post by modcase »

you just put me back in front of my 386 with win 3.1 :P
Nice one JEK
chaos

Post by chaos »

nice release. the speed is impressive.. even with many balls on the screen, it still goes fast!

i'm sure you know this, but the bouncing is a little buggy, sometimes they seem to bounce before they hit the wall. and once when i locked a ball in a 1-block tall area at the top of the screen, it was bouncing over the border, which looked pretty weird.

three things i think would improve playability a lot: make the "lines" easier to see while they are drawing. i altered your code a bit to make them 3 pixels thick, and it helped a lot. now you can see your lines much better. try it and see what i mean :)

Code: Select all

if shooting == true then
      shootLines()
      offscreen:drawLine(line_x1*15-offx, line_y1*15-offy, line_x1_end*15-offx, line_y1_end*15-offy, color)
      offscreen:drawLine(line_x1*15-offx-1, line_y1*15-offy, line_x1_end*15-offx-1, line_y1_end*15-offy, color)
      offscreen:drawLine(line_x1*15-offx+1, line_y1*15-offy, line_x1_end*15-offx+1, line_y1_end*15-offy, color)
   end
   if shootingH == true then
      shootLinesH()
      offscreen:drawLine(line_x1*15-offx, line_y1*15-offy, line_x1_end*15-offx, line_y1_end*15-offy, color)
      offscreen:drawLine(line_x1*15-offx, line_y1*15-offy+1, line_x1_end*15-offx, line_y1_end*15-offy+1, color)
      offscreen:drawLine(line_x1*15-offx, line_y1*15-offy-1, line_x1_end*15-offx, line_y1_end*15-offy-1, color)
   end
the same thing could be done in one line with drawRect, which is probably faster.. but i'll leave that as an exercise for you.

second: the player needs more feedback when they lose a life! some kind of buzzer sound would be good. or at least some visual feedback, like a flashing red background for a few frames when your line gets hit..

finally: the cursor is a little too jumpy. add a short delay after the first move before allowing the cursor to start moving again.. in my game, for example, i wait for 8 frames of the same direction being held before i increment the coordinate a second time.

anyway, very nice game, looking forward to the next version ;)
Chaosmachine Studios: High Quality Homebrew.
JEK

Post by JEK »

Thanks for the feedback Chaos.
I'll look into fixing some of the glitches.
--
JEK