Cel Shading

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

McZonk

Cel Shading

Post by McZonk »

I'm working on a Cel Shading Demo. Here is a Preview. Do you like it? I'll release it on the weekend.
If you want, I will release source code for a sample too. f the pspdev mods want have it.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Pretty!
McZonk

Post by McZonk »

I added textures and md2 model (the teapot is 3ds) support. With textures it looks really spectecular now.
Here is a link to a video http://zcom.sytes.net/psp/celshading.mov
Valencia

3d viewer

Post by Valencia »

Great example of PSP potential!
I`d like to cooperate with anybody who has knowledge how to create 3D model viewer for PSP. I think it`s good idea.
I`m 3d modeler and animator so I can provide any 3d model in any format with textures etc. Just let me know if u r interested.

cheers
-Tj-

Post by -Tj- »

Wow, like Valencia has said, great potential!

If you could expand this into a full 3D model viewer (3ds, obj support, maybe textures, too?) that would be wonderful. I had asked a programmer friend of mine who had recently quit his job working on the PSP if he'd do it for me, but he wanted money and I can't afford his salary.

Just chiming in, as I'm sure a lot of 3D modelers would love to have this kind of functionality for their PSPs.
McZonk

Model-Viewer

Post by McZonk »

I'm working on a Modelviewer but I'm not sure which formats I should support (3ds and md2) are supported at the moment. What else?

I would be very happy to get support of some 3d artists, because I have some nice ideas for demos :)
Last edited by McZonk on Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

obj support isn't hard - use Nate Robbins' glm code, which loads up Wavefront OBJ files easily and renders them using OGL - it's not hard to mess with the code to make it do what you want, and it's effectively public domain code, the license is "do what you want." The format seems to be supported by quite a few modelling programs.

-ReK
McZonk

Post by McZonk »

So public beta is finished. I'm still having problems with textures. But I got animations from md2 models. Last time I only released screenshots and a video. This time I release a psp version. It's not perfect, but some people told me, that it was a fake. Test it, does it look like a fake?
http://www.psp-arena.de/mczonk/celshading.zip
Team Emergency Exit
Recipio

Post by Recipio »

I can't get it to work. It starts and the memory card light flashes once, then it freezes and after a while the psp shuts off.
McZonk

Post by McZonk »

It took a while to load (4 - 6 seconds) the model and the keyframes. And it has to be in /PSP/GAME/celshading/ to run.
Recipio

Post by Recipio »

I do have it in PSP/GAME/celshading. I just transfered both folders from your zip file (yes, I have 1.5). I have female.md2 and female.raw in the PSP/GAME/celshading/ folder aswell. I tried removing everything and redownloading it but it still doesn't work. Anyone else who has any problem with this?
placasoft

Post by placasoft »

We found the mistake ... we will release a new version ... just wait ;)

cYa
Placa
TEAM EMERGENCY ECIT
Last edited by placasoft on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
McZonk

Post by McZonk »

Sorry, big mistake. The programm tryed to load /PSP/GAME/modelviewer/female.md2
But this file exists only on my psp. Unfortunatly one the psps of the 2 people that should test the programm too.

Here is the new link:
http://www.psp-arena.de/mczonk/celshading.zip
Recipio

Post by Recipio »

It works. :) The celshading looks really good! Especially the specularity. Perhaps it would be better to rotate the model with the analog nub instead of the L and R buttons.
Produkt

Post by Produkt »

supports single player and multiplayer quake 2 models but i couldnt rotatethem. but animations will change.

::EDIT::

My bad i forgot how to rotate the mode. it works fine.

just rename the tris.md2 to female.md2 and it works they have the same model setup. if it was MDL or SMK they could be based off of bone animations and all models using the same bone structure could work out the same.
KaL

Post by KaL »

could you release the source, please ?
McZonk

Post by McZonk »

I will release the source code in the next time. But I want do 2 things first. Finish the effect with textures and then make a cool demo out of it. After that I will send the sources the chp. If he likes it he will make a sample out of it. Then everybody can use this.
jsgf

Post by jsgf »

Is there special hardware support for cel shading?

J
Son_k

Re: 3d viewer

Post by Son_k »

Valencia wrote:Great example of PSP potential!
I`d like to cooperate with anybody who has knowledge how to create 3D model viewer for PSP. I think it`s good idea.
I`m 3d modeler and animator so I can provide any 3d model in any format with textures etc. Just let me know if u r interested.

cheers
Im a 3D modeler too, and i would love to work on a action RPG game(cell shaded or not)for the PSP! :D . but a 3D model viewer with cell shading and normal diffuse shading would be a good start !
McZonk wrote:I'm working on a Modelviewer but I'm not sure which formats I should support (3ds and md2) are supported at the moment. What else?

I would be very happy to get support of some 3d artists, because I have some nice ideas for demos :)
support, .OBJ and maybe Sony Collada file format(www.collada.org). OBJ is universal, every 3D app supports it. Cant wait to see it with textures working!

Also, maybe a Valve Source engine .MDL support ? that would be sweet.
McZonk

RPG

Post by McZonk »

I was thinking about making an RPG Role Playing Game. Nothing really special. Diablo 1 style with randomgenerated 3D Maps and some cool effects. Later Multiplayer support. With the help of some modellers I think we could make real fantastic game.

But the next two weeks I'll work on other top secret psp stuff :D After that period I'll work on the rpg and a full graphics demo. I'm going to contact all modellers than.
Son_k

Re: RPG

Post by Son_k »

McZonk wrote:I was thinking about making an RPG Role Playing Game. Nothing really special. Diablo 1 style with randomgenerated 3D Maps and some cool effects. Later Multiplayer support. With the help of some modellers I think we could make real fantastic game.

But the next two weeks I'll work on other top secret psp stuff :D After that period I'll work on the rpg and a full graphics demo. I'm going to contact all modellers than.
Diablo?:P (not a fan) i was thinking something more like The Legend of Zelda, fully 3D camera system, third person view(switch to first person view, for weapons like arrows,etc), free roaming. huge towns to explore, dungeons,relics,etc. I know it would be alot more work, but it'll be worth it.

BTW, any ideas how many triangles the PSP can push, with textures, effects, particles?

EDIT: one question i been meaning to ask, would it be feasible/possible to support normal mapping on the PSP?
McZonk

Post by McZonk »

I don't know if Normal Mapping is possible. But I also wrote, that celshading is not possible two weeks before. Even if normal mapping is possible, it would be very very costly.
I like Zelda, but the games live from the story. And I think my game won't have a story. But multiplayer. If we want have a story we would need much more developers, level designers and story writters. With all this I cannot serve, sorry. Perhaps if we find some more people. I would like to make a game like Devil May Cry.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

McZonk wrote:I don't know if Normal Mapping is possible. But I also wrote, that celshading is not possible two weeks before. Even if normal mapping is possible, it would be very very costly.
I like Zelda, but the games live from the story. And I think my game won't have a story. But multiplayer. If we want have a story we would need much more developers, level designers and story writters. With all this I cannot serve, sorry. Perhaps if we find some more people. I would like to make a game like Devil May Cry.
I may be able to help you with the story telling. Just contact me when you get to the point where you need something.
Produkt

Post by Produkt »

Son_K

MDL is a rather bad model format. SMK would work much better and the models can be easily ported from MDL. no modeling program required.

If all of you guyes would like to get togeather on some IRC channel we can talk about this. i can work with McZonk on the engine and game code aswell as some texturing work.

ive been spamming it lately but the qfusion engine would be a great start for us. supports a good model format and has all the features of Q3 + it has higher optomization
-Tj-

nice

Post by -Tj- »

I just tried the demo out and it looks great! Is this running only through software, or are you using the PSP hardware?

I think obj support would be excellent, though now that I think about it the format supports quads, and perhaps n-gons. I don't know if that'd be a problem, but I figure if the software has to convert quads to triangles, it could slow it down?

I think rotation via analog nub is a good idea. That's the first thing I reached for and the L/R rotation was a bit of a surprise.

The animation was a pleasant surprise! I was hoping for just a model viewer, but the added functionality is excellent.

Last question: are you going to support different shading modes? I'd like to see a constant shading mode for viewing textures on the model, and a smooth shading mode to check the model integrity and such.

Excellent work so far. This is definetly going to help make my PSP purchase more worthwhile ;).
McZonk

Post by McZonk »

I like the rotation via R/L, I'll not change that. Everything else can be part of discussion. The celshading is pure gu based. I don't use software rendering. It would be to slow. The first demo with the teapot was over 1000 triangles. Could not make this in software.
Here is a list of feature the next version will support:
1. Selecting different models via menu.
2. Selecting textures.
3. More model formats (md3, perhaps md5, md2 and 3ds is supported at the moment)
4. More texture formats (pcx and bmp, raw and tga is supported at the moment)
5. Choose effect (Cel-Shading, Draw Normals, Textured, Textured Cel-Shading, Environment-Mapping, Shadow-Volumes (i love this) )
But I'm working on an Quake 3 Arena port the next days. So no time for model viewer.
Produkt

Post by Produkt »

you had to use the slower engine :P
McZonk

Post by McZonk »

Produkt wrote:you had to use the slower engine :P
Which slower engine?
Produkt

Post by Produkt »

the quake community developed their own engine which supports all of the features maps and even nicer effects. sort of a Q3 engine emulation.

the engine is called Qfusion and uppon compairing it to quake 3 Qf was found to have higher optomization when compaired to Q3

on top of that qfusion had alot of backing and 2 alterations one QBism which was setup to replicate Q3 Gameplay and single player

and then Qfusion FX which implamented quake3 models into it aswell as add ARB lighting and shaders (offset, bump, and normal mapping)

its my humble oppinion that anything done for the psp must undergo alot of optomization and resorce savers... why not start off saving more cpu time? the FX addons can easily be installed into a standalone Qfusion so you can customize it yourself... rather than digg through the code.

SMK boned model support is something much nicer. which along the road can be used to add on a physics engine oh say ODE or Newton Dynamics Engine.
Thanhda

Re: RPG

Post by Thanhda »

McZonk wrote:I was thinking about making an RPG Role Playing Game. Nothing really special. Diablo 1 style with randomgenerated 3D Maps and some cool effects. Later Multiplayer support. With the help of some modellers I think we could make real fantastic game.

great stuff, looks very good. but, why not just release src now, so people can play around with it, seeing how things works. did you have to rewrite the md2 parser, or did you just port some code over? oh btw is it written in C or C++? i'm guessing C, but just curious.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...