PSPX

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

xwd

PSPX

Post by xwd »

Just thought that i should give you guys a little teaser..

These are screenshots of an emulator that has been taking all of my
spare time lately.
(by the way there is a few more shots in there, should take some time
and make somekinda site for this..)

And it's currently showing quite a bit of progress.

puzzle bobble is completely playable at around 5-8 FPS..
mercury almost get's in game..
and ridge racers stops some time after the state shown above..

Basically it's just an allegrex/fpu/vfpu interpreter, with native mode library
implementations.. HLE like.. =)

Thanks to you guys, i've been able to do all this!

Some audio functions have been done, and quite a lot of 3D stuff done..
All rendering is currently done in software.
I really think it's enough for now..

Currently i'm cleaning up the code abit, and trying to fix all those remaining bugs..
Not really sure if i should give it out, because it runs some commercial games(as seen above)
in addition to most of the homebrew stuff around.

Bit afraid of sony really.. =)

Anyway, Miles to go before i sleep..
ector

Post by ector »

Cool stuff. May I ask you what ELF loader you are using, or if you wrote your own? I've done the basics of an emu too, it runs Puzzle Bobble enough to get some display lists, but stdlib functions crap out on me, looks like some relocations have gone horribly wrong..

And now I find it more fun to code the real PSP having done my share of emus already :)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Are you a licensed PSP developer? If not, how were you able to interpret VFPU instructions without access to official documentation? If so, how are you able to release this being under NDA from Sony?

Inquiring forum admins would like to know...
v1p3r

Post by v1p3r »

The name PSPX is allready taken by Xecuter :(
PacManFan

debugging

Post by PacManFan »

Does it have debugging support built in?

-PMF
"I'm a little source code, short and stout
Here is my input, here is my out."

Author of PSPQuake and PSPSOne.
emumaniac

Post by emumaniac »

Nice news 2 new emus WIP in one night :)

(tired ness is a bad thing)
Last edited by emumaniac on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
sexdwarf

Post by sexdwarf »

emumaniac wrote:Nice news 2 psx emus in one night :)
i think you misunderstood... this one is a PSP emulator, something to replace the dreadful PSPE with...
...isn't it nice, sugar and spice...
...luring disco dollies to a life of vice...
xwd

Post by xwd »

Okay..
Ector: Originally i took the elf loader from PCSX2(so props to those guys) but had to make some changes when i figured out the relocation stuff for the elfs.. So BAD me for stealing code. =) never actually worked with elfs before so that was a good starting point and MIPS ABI documentation, relocations are "basicly" regular MIPS relocs..(i guess, looks right, correct me if i'm wrong)

MrBrown: No i'm NOT an licensed PSP developer.. It's all based on lucky guesses and information found on internet and the SDK/Toolchain you guys made.And if you feel that i'm crossing the line PLEASE do remove all my posts from the forum. It was "kinda" fun trying figure stuff out(lot of guessing).. and NO i don't have all of the VFPU figured out.. just enough to fake it. as you might have seen the 3D is NOT correct..(just chose some shots that looked "close enough")

v1per: damn.. well anyway seeing as i think that releasing the emu would be a BAD idea it does not matter. =)

PacManFan: no.. although i have to admit that it would help alot... I have thought about making a debugger in it, but well ... felt like doing other things.. =)

isamu: not likely.. there is still PLENTY of stuff to figure out.. the emu is really a BIG hack which luckily seems to do some things correct..

Okay, the rest is for every one..

The emu is NOT even close to correct but it seems to work nicely.
for one thing i felt really screwed when i found out that the PSP os is co-operative.. the OS in the emu is pre-emptive.. so i really have to rewrite few things.. :(

Anyway i'm doing this stuff for fun.. so don't hold your breath.. I DO need to work for a living you know.. =)
AND for one thing, as a gamedev i DONT like piracy, so IF i release the emu it's going to be homebrew only guys..
rmbell

Post by rmbell »

finally, something to replace PSPE. i would love to do homebrew, but i cant because PSPE doesnt work for me :(
cc_microsoft

Post by cc_microsoft »

how about releasing the source code to the pspx?
Pseudo ANIMALISTIC

Re: PSPX

Post by Pseudo ANIMALISTIC »

xwd wrote: Anyway, Miles to go before i sleep..
I see someone's a fan of Robert Frost. ;)
cc_microsoft

Post by cc_microsoft »

please release this emu. the creators of pcsx2 have been releasing updates from there emu and you haven't heard them sayong that sony is now sueing them for making it.
.: Smerity :.

Post by .: Smerity :. »

I'd be incredibly interested when this finally is released =)

I'm a homebrew developer, and the compile > get PSP to USB mode > copy to PSP > start PSP homebrew process is a bit of a waste of time, so if this could act as an emulator for homebrew it would be fabulous.

Either way, real work of art mate!
Best of luck! =)
JoAl

Post by JoAl »

.: Smerity :. wrote:I'm a homebrew developer, and the compile > get PSP to USB mode > copy to PSP > start PSP homebrew process is a bit of a waste of time, so if this could act as an emulator for homebrew it would be fabulous.
You should look at PSPLINK: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3834
Antonio92

Post by Antonio92 »

XWD, Can you send to my e-mail the emulator PSPx please? I sent you a private message and I didn't have answer. Read the private message XWD, please
NSCXP2005

Post by NSCXP2005 »

any idea if you are going to continue with this emulator?

plz can you reply.

NSCXP2005
R2k

Post by R2k »

Wow.... A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !

i wanna a copy of this emu (would be great to reduce the homebrew developing times).
PSP FW v2.6 owner
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005

And no reply since then from him - better forget that unless you find out his e-mail or even better his telephone number.
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

Yup... Please look at dates before posting, this is the third (I think) time this topic has been bumped (hell.. I remember when this topic was MADE).

It would be amazing to see a homebrew emulator, and I'm sure it would work for the RPG I'm making (very simple 2D, may have to strip out OGG playback).
Sadly.. it seems to be a fake. If it is real, great job, but releasing three screenshots and then leaving doesn't seem very credible