ScummVM-PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

TommyBear

ScummVM-PSP

Post by TommyBear »

Hi Guys,

I'd thought I would give you an update on ScummVM for the PSP. A few people have emailed me directly asking for info and while I haven't been posting any updates here, I have been giving updates on pspupdate.com. Anyway.

Basically the implementation is ~70% complete with working FileIO, graphics, controls. ScummVM-PSP now generally runs all scumm games and beneath a steel sky (I haven't tried others). Sound is yet to be implemented as well as graphics via the GU.

We were thinking about releasing this weekend, but that depends greatly on whether or not we can complete the outstanding functionality and track down a particulary nasty allocation problem we are experiencing...

Working on the project are:
Joost Peters
Paolo Costabel
Thomas Mayer

Tommy.
Polymira

Post by Polymira »

Can't wait!
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

I'm also very interested in this one...
(love the old lucasarts games)

And source code will be interesting too, seeing there are many people having issues with C++ for the PSP (including myself :-) )
mc

Post by mc »

Yardbird wrote:And source code will be interesting too, seeing there are many people having issues with C++ for the PSP (including myself :-) )
ScummVM is a SourceForge project, so you can expect source to appear somewhere below http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/s ... /backends/ before long. (They don't seem to have committed anything yet though.)
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

mc wrote:
Yardbird wrote:And source code will be interesting too, seeing there are many people having issues with C++ for the PSP (including myself :-) )
ScummVM is a SourceForge project, so you can expect source to appear somewhere below http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/s ... /backends/ before long. (They don't seem to have committed anything yet though.)
An alpha release will be available this coming weekend (Australian Time). Source will made available on request(to comply with the GPL) until we are confident it is of a quality good enough to be submitted as a patch to ScummVM.org
Q

Post by Q »

First off, I just want to say thank you to TommyBear.. I've been waiting for ScummVM for the PSP to be released for awhile now and I know a lot of people who would go crazy once a beta is released (or a full release for that matter, whatever comes first). How is the process goin'? Man, I'm just thinkin' about actually playing Monkey Island 2, The Dig, etc. and actually finishing them. I could sit here and give you props all day :)
I'm sufferin' from a severe illness called brilliance.
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

Hi Guys,

http://www.tomkatgames.com/psp/ScummVM- ... ssOnly.zip

Here is a crappo' tastic alpha version of ScummVM-PSP that's been hard coded to run either Beneath A Steel Sky Floppy or CD. We can't release the version that runs the Scumm games yet because we are having huge issues with gcc4 at the moment. You can get BASS or BASSCD from scummvm.org for free and legally.

Some words of warning though... on packaging this up I noticed we'd broken the home button and general exit procedure. So please power cycle your PSP to exit for now.

Full readme is in the zip

Tommy.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

It works! :) Testing the floppy version, folder needs to keep the name SCUMMVM otherwise it won't work. (for the coders, to get rid of this: *argv[0] is your friend!)

I also copied in the CPT file into the same folder though I don't know if that was needed.
joostp

Post by joostp »

Arwin wrote:It works! :) Testing the floppy version, folder needs to keep the name SCUMMVM otherwise it won't work. (for the coders, to get rid of this: *argv[0] is your friend!)

I also copied in the CPT file into the same folder though I don't know if that was needed.
Yes, the CPT file is needed.
No need for us to bother with argv since the next version will use the ScummVM launcher. This is just an alpha, remember. :)
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

joostp wrote:
Arwin wrote:It works! :) Testing the floppy version, folder needs to keep the name SCUMMVM otherwise it won't work. (for the coders, to get rid of this: *argv[0] is your friend!)

Yes, the CPT file is needed.
No need for us to bother with argv since the next version will use the ScummVM launcher. This is just an alpha, remember. :)
Fair enough. :) But anyway, I (and a colleague) played into the game a bit and I even saved the game successfully (using ?? as a filename ... lol). Nice work! And looking mightily fine on the widescreen ... :D
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

http://www.niwra.nl/psp/scummalfa15.rar

This is the Alfa playing Bass Only, 1.5 Exploited version of Scumm with Bass installed and ready to go.
PinkPeach

Post by PinkPeach »

Fantastic, this is a great work :) you made my day (and my week i guess, time to complete bass ;) )
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

Beta version is now up at:
http://www.tomkatgames.com/psp/ScummVM-PSP-Beta.zip

*Should* work with all supported scummvm games except the 640x480 ones.

Tommy.

PS. One known issue is slow saving and loading, also autosave triggers about ever 5 minutes and causes a slowdown... just let it go and it will continue.
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

hi TommyBear, i must take a minute to greats all ur guys, because you'v did a kick-ass job. Its just a coding exemple for me !
Many thanks and good continuation.

Ps : LucasArt games are just awesome.
emumaniac

Post by emumaniac »

nice work on the release, theres a ton of screenshots of it running on PSP here http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/scummvmpsp.shtml
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

Nice work, I tried Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis yesterday, and it rocks.
I'll hope that you guys will be able to speed up the saving process a bit in the future...
And they're probably some more buttons needed in some games (except for left and right mouse); for example in the game I tried, you can fight bad guys, which does not work at the moment...

Anyway, keep up the good work!!!

btw: are you planning to support 640x480 games like Curse of Monkey Island? It requires a huge memory stick, but nothing impossible, and it's probably possible to scale the gfx to something that fits the psp?
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

does this support The Dig as well? that was my all-time favorite game! :D
Polymira

Post by Polymira »

Marcus C.

Didn't you work on the original dreamcast port?
joostp

Post by joostp »

What's new in Beta 2:

- Fixed saving/loading 'hang' in LucasArts SCUMM games
- Fixed 'Invalid savegame' slots and naming savegames in SCUMM.
- MP3 support (MP3'd CDDA tracks and monster.so3)

http://0x.7fc1.org/psp/scummvm/scummvm-psp-beta2.zip
OptiRoc

Post by OptiRoc »

TommyBear: Some minutes into Fate of Atlantis I encountered a blue screen of death (!). Any other reports of that? It would seem it was displayed by the PSP kernel rather than the ScummVM engine, since it wasn't upscaled like all the ScummVM output.

I also wonder if we can hope for a nice speed-boost as far as graphics rendering goes, or if you already use sceGU for the "internal" blitting?

Feature request: Auto-saving on/off. Even though I suppose they won't be so interuptive as they are now in the future, I would like the option to turn it off alltogether.

It'd also be nice to chose a 1:1 pixel ratio (ie. no upscaling), with the option to load up a wallpaper/border image.

Otherwise, great work! I'll be doing some fairly long commuting a while now so this is just perfect opportunity to replay that old pile of LucasGames goodness.
joostp

Post by joostp »

OptiRoc wrote: I also wonder if we can hope for a nice speed-boost as far as graphics rendering goes, or if you already use sceGU for the "internal" blitting?

Feature request: Auto-saving on/off. Even though I suppose they won't be so interuptive as they are now in the future, I would like the option to turn it off alltogether.

It'd also be nice to chose a 1:1 pixel ratio (ie. no upscaling), with the option to load up a wallpaper/border image.

Otherwise, great work! I'll be doing some fairly long commuting a while now so this is just perfect opportunity to replay that old pile of LucasGames goodness.
We already use the GU for blitting and scaling (not internally though, I don't see how that would help), 1:1 pixel ratio (as well as 'best-fit' mode) are already implemented, you can select them from the launcher.
There's no way to turn off auto-saving, but then you shouldn't notice it in the latest build.
OptiRoc

Post by OptiRoc »

joostp wrote:We already use the GU for blitting and scaling (not internally though, I don't see how that would help)
By freeing the CPU from quite a lot of tedious pixelpushing (for sprites, backgrounds, overlays etc), speeding up the whole engine a couple of notches? Granted, I haven't looked at how ScummVM handles rendering, let alone how your port does it -- perhaps you meant that all those operations use GU already, too?
joostp wrote:1:1 pixel ratio (as well as 'best-fit' mode) are already implemented, you can select them from the launcher.
There's no way to turn off auto-saving, but then you shouldn't notice it in the latest build.
Sweet. What do you think about an optional wallpaper image to use as border, when in the 1:1 mode?
joostp

Post by joostp »

OptiRoc wrote: By freeing the CPU from quite a lot of tedious pixelpushing (for sprites, backgrounds, overlays etc), speeding up the whole engine a couple of notches? Granted, I haven't looked at how ScummVM handles rendering, let alone how your port does it -- perhaps you meant that all those operations use GU already, too?
Yes, the backend already uses the GU for all 'pixelpushing' operations towards the screen (overlays, scaling, blitting, etc.)
Which is really all you can do, the engines themselves aren't exposed so you have no control over their internal 'rendering'.

Sweet. What do you think about an optional wallpaper image to use as border, when in the 1:1 mode?
I personally won't use it, so implementing it isn't a priority for me (sorry ;)), but maybe one of the other guys will.
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

I had a BSOD in Day of the Tentacle, but it only happened once, doesn't seem to happen again when I started the game over.

I've finished Sam & Max and Monkey Island 1 on beta 1 now, works great.

I'll test maniac mansion soon, but it seems to work, there's a problem when doing scaling in the NES maniac mansion however, so the mouse input is not correct.

And Monkey Island 2 doesn't seem to work because of the protection. One needs to input numbers (like 00 00) to beat it, and there's no key to input 0. The FM Towns version of monkey island 2 works though, since it doesn't have the protection.
joostp

Post by joostp »

MikeHaggar wrote:And Monkey Island 2 doesn't seem to work because of the protection. One needs to input numbers (like 00 00) to beat it, and there's no key to input 0. The FM Towns version of monkey island 2 works though, since it doesn't have the protection.
Use the select button to insert '0'. (READ THE README!)
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Yeah, I've downloaded beta 2 now, and see that you've fixed that. Sorry.
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

Excellent choice to bind select to '0': that's the suckerpunch in fate of atlantis (knocks enemies down with 1 hit), so now we don't have to escape from every fight!
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

How do I get the games I own to work with this? Do I make an ISO of the CD and put that on the memstick?
joostp

Post by joostp »

F9zDark wrote:How do I get the games I own to work with this? Do I make an ISO of the CD and put that on the memstick?
Just copy the relevant files ( http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles ) to a directory on your memstick.
Sushimoto

Post by Sushimoto »

Following the instructions on the read me file, when I start Scumm VM I get the error:

"The game could not be started (80020001)"
I have a North american PSP v1.50.

Here's what I did to install it.
- I D/L the new Beta2
-copied the EBOOT.PBP file to \PSP\GAME\SCUMMVM\
-Copied the game files in \PSP\GAME\SCUMMVM\GAMEs
I get the SCUMMVM in the mem card display, but I get the error once I run it.

Help please!