HOWTO: Windows, Cygwin & PSPSDK

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Knox

HOWTO: Windows, Cygwin & PSPSDK

Post by Knox »

I thought I'd pull together information from various posts to get all the stuff about getting PSPSDK up and running on Windows in one place. Hope it helps someone.

1. Download Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) and install wget, make, patchutils, gcc and bzip2. If you want to build the doxygen docs you'll need doxygen & perl as well.

2. Set-up "psptoolchain-20050625". (http://staff.philau.edu/barberej/psp_dev_guide.htm)

3. Add "C:\cygwin\usr\local\pspdev\bin" to your Windows path. My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables. (PSPSDK does not need the changes to .bash_profile described in the toolchain instructions as this is taken care of by psp-config.exe.)

4. Unpack "pspsdk-1.0+beta.tar.gz". ("tar xvzf pspsdk-1.0+beta.tar.gz") and "cd" into "pspsdk-1.0+beta".

N.B. If you intend to build the doxygen docs you'll need to create a sub-directory, "cd" into it and perform the next 4 steps from there, replacing "./configure" with "../configure". (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2365)

5. "./configure"

6. "make"

7. If you've installed doxygen "make doxygen-doc"

8. "make install"

If everything's worked out OK, you should now be able to build the SDK sample....

9. "cd /usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/samples/sdktest"

10. "make"

You should now have a shiney new EBOOT.PBP which you can run in the usual way. If you want an icon for it, define PSP_EBOOT_ICON in your Makefile. ("make -B" if you've only changed the icon define.)

Knox
inomine

Post by inomine »

Funny, this looks alot like the wiki entry :P

Anyway, you've added some stuff to what was on there so how about editing the wiki, that way everyone can update it later should things change.
Knox

Post by Knox »

Sorry inomine, managed to miss that one. wiki updated.
Sharkus

Post by Sharkus »

Just to continue the tutorial a bit farther to where the compiled sample application is run on the PSP... (I hope this is not too basic. I think it might be useful for those just getting started...)

NOTE: In the examples the PSP USB is connected as drive E: and cygwin is being used for command lines.

Step 1:
Create (or borrow) a % "boot" directory with an EBOOT.PBP (SFO and ICON). (This is the directory with the % sign after it.) It you are very lazy and can't draw icons worth shit (like me), you can just copy one somebody else created. In this example, I will RIN% to SDK%.

Code: Select all

mkdir /cygdrive/e/PSP/GAME/SDK%
cp /cygdrive/e/PSP/GAME/RIN%/* /cygdrive/e/PSP/GAME/SDK%/
NOTE: This will cause multiple copies of "RIN" to exist on the PSP menu when loading the application. One will be the sample application (you will have to use trial and error to determine which is which).

Step 2:
Create an empty directory with the same name as the directory created in Step 1 without the %.

mkdir /cygdrive/e/PSP/GAME/SDK
Step 3:
Build the sample application you want to run (see above).

Step 4:
Copy the resulting .elf file to the directory created in Step 2. Rename the .elf file to be EBOOT.PBP.

cp cube.elf /cygdrive/e/PSP/GAME/SDK/EBOOT.PBP
Step 5:
Exit USB Mode, scroll to the far right, select the memory stick, run and enjoy.