PSPSDK 1.0+beta released!

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

mrbrown
Site Admin

PSPSDK 1.0+beta released!

Post by mrbrown »

Release: PSPSDK 1.0+beta

From the README:
The PSP Software Development Kit (PSPSDK) is a collection of Open Source tools and libraries written for Sony's Playstation Portable (PSP) gaming console. It also includes documentation and other resources developers can use to write software for the PSP.

PSPSDK is distributed under a BSD-compatible license. See the LICENSE file for more information.
So far only the source distribution has been released. Binary packages will surface soon.

Although this isn't mentioned in the README, PSPSDK requires at least psptoolchain-20050625.

This is a BETA, so there will be bugs. Report bugs in this forum or mail them to [email protected].
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Nice! It's looking great!

However, although mentioned in the README, I can't seem to find a reference to libGU in the documentation.
If a beautiful girl tells you she's done some modeling work in the past, and you ask her what 3D software she used, you might be a gamedeveloper.
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

Thanks so much guys! Win32 installer that i made available here: http://www.tomkatgames.com/psp/setup.exe (25MB). Basically the same deal as the ps2dev kit installer

Enjoy everyone!
Mak0

Post by Mak0 »

very cool!

I cant wait to check it out :)
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

OMFG it's so easy to compile up PSP apps now.... lol :)
chp

Post by chp »

Laurens wrote:Nice! It's looking great!

However, although mentioned in the README, I can't seem to find a reference to libGU in the documentation.
It's a beta and libGU is not available yet, it's still in development. I'm working as fast as I can damnit. ;P
PacManFan

Awesome!

Post by PacManFan »

Thanks for all the hard work. One thing I noticed when trying to port quake over to this is: it's missing fscanf, so I still have to include the -lc (libc.a) library and tell the linker to ignore multiple definitions.

-PMF
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

Hey guys.... how do you actually specify the Icon that the packer uses in the make file... say ICON0.PNG?

Tommy.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

TommyBear, all extra files for the EBOOT can be added by defining some simple parameters. For defining the ICON file add this to your makefile.

Code: Select all

PSP_EBOOT_ICON=path/to/my/picture/png
And it should pick it up. You can do the same with things like the PSAR etc.
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

TyRaNiD wrote:TommyBear, all extra files for the EBOOT can be added by defining some simple parameters. For defining the ICON file add this to your makefile.

Code: Select all

PSP_EBOOT_ICON=path/to/my/picture/png
And it should pick it up. You can do the same with things like the PSAR etc.
Yeah cool thanks.... in the end I overcame my laziness and looked at the actual build.mak ;) Can someone please mirror the win32 installer? I'm getting pummeled over here by eager hordes of PSP devrs :) Or someone with access add it to the downloads for the site?

Tommy.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

TommyBear wrote:Can someone please mirror the win32 installer?
http://psp.jim.sh/setup.exe

Feel free to redirect your URL there, too.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Re: Awesome!

Post by mrbrown »

PacManFan wrote:Thanks for all the hard work. One thing I noticed when trying to port quake over to this is: it's missing fscanf, so I still have to include the -lc (libc.a) library and tell the linker to ignore multiple definitions.

-PMF
Thanks for the heads up. We'll add the myriad of *scanf() functions to PSPSDK's libc for 1.0.
TommyBear

Re: Awesome!

Post by TommyBear »

mrbrown wrote:
PacManFan wrote:Thanks for all the hard work. One thing I noticed when trying to port quake over to this is: it's missing fscanf, so I still have to include the -lc (libc.a) library and tell the linker to ignore multiple definitions.

-PMF
Thanks for the heads up. We'll add the myriad of *scanf() functions to PSPSDK's libc for 1.0.
oh very nice!
jason

Post by jason »

This is AWESOME! MrBrown, you rock!
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

jason wrote:This is AWESOME! MrBrown, you rock!
This was not all me, there were several others involved in getting PSPSDK out the door, not to mention those who've worked on ps2sdk in the past (which some portions of PSPSDK are based upon).

Here's a short list of the PSPSDK Players (forum and IRC nickname):
  • TyRaNiD
  • Warren (John_K on IRC)
  • adresd
  • ooPo
  • Oobles
  • rinco
I hope that list gets much longer!
aniasis

Post by aniasis »

Does this SDK support STL?
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

mrbrown wrote:
jason wrote:This is AWESOME! MrBrown, you rock!
This was not all me, there were several others involved in getting PSPSDK out the door, not to mention those who've worked on ps2sdk in the past (which some portions of PSPSDK are based upon).

• TyRaNiD
  • Warren (John_K on IRC)
  • adresd
  • ooPo
  • Oobles
  • rinco
I hope that list gets much longer!
Great release guys. The PSPSDK is very helpful
silverbyte

Post by silverbyte »

whats the diffrence from "pspsdk 1.0+beta win32 installer" and what KAL has done a day before here:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2347

-------------------------------

TyRaNiD
Warren (John_K on IRC)
adresd
ooPo
Oobles
rinco
--------------------------------

also
there seems to be a possible error ?? in the start.bat.

set path to invalid directories.
path=%path%;c:\pspsdk\bin

shouldn't that be :
path=%path%;%path%\bin
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

silverbyte wrote: set path to invalid directories.

shouldn't that be :
path=%path%;%path%\bin
No.... you are mis-understanding what a path is. Let's just say that the path is correct in that above (assuming files are put in c:\pspsdk\bin directory). a path is a place where the OS looks for executible files. Like, when you just type "copy" in dos... you dont have to do "C:\windows\system32\copy.exe" (or wherever it is located) just to access it, because it is in your path. It looks in each of those directories for a program called "copy", and if it finds it, it executes it.
wulf

Post by wulf »

Thanks a lot for all the hard work, people.. You are really an inspiration!
etx

Post by etx »

Thanks for your hard work guys! This will help me a lot, as I've never ventured into graphics or console programming until now.
silverbyte

Post by silverbyte »

ALOGN , u insult my intelligence.... i know what path does, i feel like your trying to teach me grade one math...
maybe i wasn't clear.

if you install pspsdk1.0+ win32 the installer defaults to :
c:\program files\pspdev

inside that directory theres a file calles start.bat and the contents show :
set path=%path%;c:\pspsdk\bin

c:\pspsdk\bin does not exist.... so why am i making path = c:\pspsdk\bin

i believe this should be :
set path =c:\program files\pspdev;c:\program files\pspdev\bin

or

set path=%path%;%path%\bin

where %path% should be = c:\program files\pspdev
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

silverbyte wrote:whats the diffrence from "pspsdk 1.0+beta win32 installer" and what KAL has done a day before here:
That's the dev kit and not the SDK. The win32 package here contains the DevKit and the SDK component built and ready to go.
silverbyte wrote: set path to invalid directories.

shouldn't that be :
path=%path%;%path%\bin
No. The batch file temporarily sets your path to include c:\pspsdk\bin, change it to whatever you wish. %path% contains your current path settings. The line simply concatenates c:\pspsdk\bin on the end
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

silverbyte wrote:ALOGN , u insult my intelligence.... i know what path does, i feel like your trying to teach me grade one math...
maybe i wasn't clear.

if you install pspsdk1.0+ win32 the installer defaults to :

or

I might put something into the installer to create the batch file.
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

silverbyte wrote:ALOGN , u insult my intelligence.... i know what path does, i feel like your trying to teach me grade one math...
maybe i wasn't clear.
Sorry for insulting you... didn't mean to, it's just that we have a lot of users here that don't know much....

silverbyte wrote: if you install pspsdk1.0+ win32 the installer defaults to :

or

Now let met explain why I said what I did, since you do know what a path is. If you:

set path =%path%;%path%\bin

Then say in your path you have:

C:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\;c:\someOtherPathFile

then you are just making your path

C:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\;c:\someOtherPathFile;C:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\;c:\someOtherPathFile\bin

As you can see, you are just adding a \bin to the final directory of your path, which isn't really what you want to do... not to mention repeating your entire path. I havn't looked at the code myself, but I believe that if you just change that to where your bin path is, then you should be ok.

*EDIT*
You *should* be ok with doing

set path = %path%;c:\program files\pspdev;c:\program files\pspdev\bin

(not sure if they allow spaces in path names, if not, use dos's ~1 stuff)
KaL

Post by KaL »

Huh.. There is no MAKE in the win32 PSPSDK package. TommyBear can you do something ? Thx

Post by Guest »

KaL wrote:Huh.. There is no MAKE in the win32 PSPSDK package. TommyBear can you do something ? Thx
Huh, "make" should be installed by Cygwin. But thats a thing commonly overlooked. Can you do something ?
deagle

Post by deagle »

I have installed the KaL W32 PSPtoolchain package, then the PSPSDK into the same directory and it does work very well
I can compile both the toolchain and the pspsdk samples
silverbyte

Post by silverbyte »

Agoln wrote:Sorry for insulting you... didn't mean to, it's just that we have a lot of users here that don't know much....
ahh no worries.
Agoln wrote:Then say in your path you have:

C:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\;c:\someOtherPathFile

then you are just making your path

C:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\;c:\someOtherPathFile;C:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\;c:\someOtherPathFile\bin
ahh ok so %path% = whats already in my current "path = "
now i get it, in any case, i went to my enviroment path settings and added them manually.

Kal wrote:Huh.. There is no MAKE in the win32 PSPSDK package. TommyBear can you do something ? Thx
gorim wrote:Huh, "make" should be installed by Cygwin. But thats a thing commonly overlooked. Can you do something ?
would be nice to have cygwin packed with the win32 installer, so runs and compiles right out of the box. Sure it will make the package alittle bigger. But its one less step of d/l cygwin and installing it etc etc.

Kal made a nice package which i been working with. Love it. worked with no fuss (even with some sample source code, so i could go straight at it)

I love KAL's package.. great work.

and thnx to every1 else in the scene contributing.
KaL

Post by KaL »

I would like to download PSPSDK from the subversion repository.. but I need login/password. Where can I get it ? Thanks.