PSP Toolchain win32 package

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

KaL

PSP Toolchain win32 package

Post by KaL »

I've made a package for psp devr's under win32 with the compiled psp toolchain and some example code.
I would like to add an IDE... maybe later. I'm waiting for the future pspsdk to do a more complete package.
Well, I hope this will help some people to do their first steps into psp homebrew dev.

Any improvement is very welcome.

GoodBye.

here is the link : http://ipdred.free.fr/pspdev_wo.zip
placasoft

Post by placasoft »

Hey dude ... that rockz...but can someone make a tutorial or can explain me how it work
KaL

Post by KaL »

unzip it. Edit the START.bat file and look at the "set PSPDEV=C:\pspdev" line, replace C:\pspdev with the location of your pspdev directory. Save it. Run START.bat and you're done.
To compile the examples, go to samples, type "make" and then you'll have the EBOOT.PBP right into the sample dir.
KaL

Post by KaL »

The demos from alonetrio don't run under PSPE. Maybe I messed up with the makefiles I've wrote :/
inomine

Post by inomine »

KaL wrote:The demos from alonetrio don't run under PSPE
I wouldn't worry about it. The PSPE is a load of crap that only supports some very basic functions, the new versions of PSP Toolchain build with opcodes that are fully PSP valid but are not supported with the emu. I would suggest using the hardware as the benchmark and ingnoring PSPE.
KaL

Post by KaL »

you're right. It runs well on hardware.. AH :p
slappydooda

Post by slappydooda »

KaL wrote:unzip it. Edit the START.bat file and look at the "set PSPDEV=C:\pspdev" line, replace C:\pspdev with the location of your pspdev directory. Save it. Run START.bat and you're done.
To compile the examples, go to samples, type "make" and then you'll have the EBOOT.PBP right into the sample dir.
Where do you type "make"...?
Mak0

Post by Mak0 »

slappydooda wrote:
KaL wrote:unzip it. Edit the START.bat file and look at the "set PSPDEV=C:\pspdev" line, replace C:\pspdev with the location of your pspdev directory. Save it. Run START.bat and you're done.
Where do you type "make"...?
In the windows command prompt after you navigated to the folder.
slappydooda

Post by slappydooda »

I navigate to the pspstars folder and then type make and it gives me somthing about how it's not a recognized command...
silverbyte

Post by silverbyte »

this is GREAT!!! seriosuly amazing... i tried using pspdevkit under linux. (many flavours of linux, with gcc 3.4 and 4.0 installed), and i ran into some problems...

Im not to crazy about installing CYGWIN (why would i when i got linux running, why would i mix linux and dos together? yes itz got itz quirks, but .... i don't think so, i'll stick with me linux)

maybe i didn't give it enough time, but if it takes more than 15minutes to setup, then there must be an easier solution

AND THIS IS IT!!! wonderful, unzip/modify bat/and make voila... it compiles..

THANK YOU KAL!!! GREAT JOB...

Note:
WinXP users: You Loose your path settings when you close the command prompt. You can change this if you goto "control panel" -> "system properties" -> "ADVANCED tab" -> "enviroment variables" -> "Under system variables, goto the variable PATH, and add your c:\pspdev;c:\pspdev\bin;
windows98 or less: you can modify your autoexec.bat to add the path=c:\pspdev;c:\pspdev\bin;

and don't remove whats there, you'll risk screwing something else up....

ENJOY !!!
Last edited by silverbyte on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neofar

Post by neofar »

Thanks Kal !!
deagle

Post by deagle »

thx KaL, cygwin was so annoying for me..

mon KaKaL !! je t'ai retrouvé !! merci ça m'a bien aidé ton truc :p
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

deagle wrote:cygwin was so annoying for me
Windows is so annoying to me.....
Nitsua

Post by Nitsua »

I have Windows 2000, could you explain how to use this 'make' program after using start.bat? It doesn't seem to work no matter what I try or from what folder I try it within or without the samples in the pspdev folder created... though thanks for making such a nice Win32 file for us Windows users.
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

Make should be able to be excuited with cygwin when you select it's package.
slappydooda

Post by slappydooda »

Nitsua wrote:I have Windows 2000, could you explain how to use this 'make' program after using start.bat? It doesn't seem to work no matter what I try or from what folder I try it within or without the samples in the pspdev folder created... though thanks for making such a nice Win32 file for us Windows users.
I'm haveing the same problem.
TheRain

Post by TheRain »

Nitsua wrote:I have Windows 2000, could you explain how to use this 'make' program after using start.bat? It doesn't seem to work no matter what I try or from what folder I try it within or without the samples in the pspdev folder created... though thanks for making such a nice Win32 file for us Windows users.
Check a few posts up and read what silverbyte has to say about setting it up in WinXP... it is probably the same in 2000.
Squall333

Post by Squall333 »

i get this wether i use windows or cygwin
psp-gcc -g -c -I..\..\psp\include hellopsp.c -o hellopsp.o
gcc hellopsp.o -o hellopsp
make: gcc: Command not found
make: *** [hellopsp] Error 127

EDIT: i was being dumb and typing "make hellopsp" when i was just supposed to type "make"
netddos

Post by netddos »

Installed under..

C:\pspdev\

First time it worked fine...

now the second time i try to execute start.bat the console opens and closes rapidly..

Does anyone have an idea why?

Edit: I guess I'll just have to access through the command prompt everytime.. ohwell.. in any rate..this only compiles the code to PBP file right?

Now how do I actually write code for it? Do I use any regular C IDE and compile it with psptoolchain?
TheRain

Post by TheRain »

netddos wrote:Installed under..

C:\pspdev\

First time it worked fine...

now the second time i try to execute start.bat the console opens and closes rapidly..

Does anyone have an idea why?

Edit: I guess I'll just have to access through the command prompt everytime.. ohwell.. in any rate..this only compiles the code to PBP file right?

Now how do I actually write code for it? Do I use any regular C IDE and compile it with psptoolchain?
All that start.bat does is set up some environment variables... if you are running Win98 or earlier, just run that once and your system will be set up for compiling PSP programs. If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, check out silverbyte's post above for how to set up the environment variables. In that case you will not need start.bat.

You can edit C code for the PSP using an IDE, sure.... but at this point it would be easiest for you to compile stuff using the command line tools. You could still edit stuff with an IDE that has syntax highlighting or whatever and save it and then compile it with command line. If you know how to set up your IDE to point to the compiler and send the right switches... more power to you.

My best advice to you is, look through the "Samples" folder under pspdev, compile each sample project by typing "make" at the command line once you've changed to the directory of that project. Once you've done that, use one of the exploit tools floating around to set up the pbp file for use on your PSP.... test them out on your PSP just to see what they do, then go back and look through the C source files. In each sample project folder there is also a Makefile.... this is a configuration file for each project that tells the "make" command how to compile the project. You'll want to look at those and use them as a template for the makefile for your own project.

It's pretty early in the game and there are no real easy ways of developing for the PSP right now, so hang in there. This is the easiest Windows dev kit yet, and it's not too bad to use... but the implimentation is still pretty limited, as far as what you can do with programming in C. A lot of the code you will see around this forum are also geared for other psp toolchains, so it takes some low level knowledge to translate it.
HexDump

Post by HexDump »

does this package includes now the psp sdk?.

HexDump.
KaL

Post by KaL »

Nop. It's even not up to date. There is another win32 package in the PSPSDK forum with all that you need.
Harold

Post by Harold »

This installer is so much more elegant than the current SDK setup. Are there any plans to incorporate the work thats been done on the current SDK into a one click setup like this one? I've spent a fair ammount of time trying to get cygwin and other sillynesses running to use the newest SDK but I can't get stuff to compile. This worked first shot. (big up KaL for providing this to the community)

My question is, will this package be updated or should I start asking questions about getting the other stuff working ;)

Thanks in advance,
-Harold
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

You'll find that the more you pre-package, the easier it is to have users with outdated versions of software. With the current pace of development, especially for the toolchain itself, a prepackaged version can harm the community at large. At this point in time, at least.

You can see the affect its had already - half the questions lately have been solved by telling the user to update their toolchain.

This is why I've always provided an autobuilding script instead that will automatically grab the latest versions each and every time it is run.

Regardless, the real solution would be to get to know your tools. You're shoe-horning unix-based tools into a windows environment and are trying to use a poorly-assembled unix layer to do so. Having a little hands-on experience in building and installing the parts you need will go a long way towards your understanding of the process. Its not hard at all once you've done it a few times, really. :)

Either that, or give it some time for the core tools to settle down. Then a pre-packaged install won't be out of date quicker than it can be built in the first place.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Thanks oopo, I just need to get off my ass.

Big ups to you and the rest of the community. Keep up the good work.

-Harold
KaL

Post by KaL »

I think a PSPSDK/Toolchain package with support of svn updating would be great.. I WONT do it tonight.
Last edited by KaL on Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danj

Post by Danj »

ooPo wrote:You're shoe-horning unix-based tools into a windows environment and are trying to use a poorly-assembled unix layer to do so.
I would debate your assertion that Cygwin is "poorly-assembled". It has been in development over many years and is considerably more mature and easier to install than it used to be. You can even compile and run X in it. Now, if you were talking about Microsoft's bizarrely-named "Services For Unix" then I might be more inclined to agree.
Dan Jackson
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Agree or not, I don't care... but compared to a proper unix-based os, Cygwin is not a preferred environment for development.
almazlamaz

Post by almazlamaz »

thank's Kal ! :)
lezy

Post by lezy »

i have setup the pspdev,and it work well.i compile all the samples,and then copy to to game directory in the memory stick,and then run them in the psp,but the psp alert that "the game could not be started(80020001)".
the software version of my psp is 1.5.