tetris portable 0.3 (firmware 1.0 only)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

weak

tetris portable 0.3 (firmware 1.0 only)

Post by weak »

hi everyone,

finally had some time to play with nem's hello world code and made a simple tetris clone. works with firmware 1.0 only.

http://www.fraglab.at/files/tetrisportable03_eboot.rar

v0.3
- tile preview
- improved randomness

v0.2
- improved controls
- artwork added
- highscores are tracked and saved
- home button support
- some bugfixes

hf, weak
Last edited by weak on Tue May 17, 2005 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
m.e

Post by m.e »

nice :)
lshian

Post by lshian »

Yeah! Nice!
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

Please post source code

This is a developer's forum. We know the PSP 1.0 exploit works, so we don't need additional binary (closed-source) "proof-of-concept" apps.
[I know the exploit is brand new, but sharing source code usually is a win-win for everyone involved - regardless of how early it is]

IMHO: Any binary posts should be accompanied by source code - otherwise move to a PSP 1.0 homebrew user forum (perhaps on another BBS)
annerajb

Post by annerajb »

yeah its true people cannot learn if you dont tell then how you did it and the source code enable people like me that dosnt know a lot to learn.
skippy911

Post by skippy911 »

PspPet wrote:Please post source code

This is a developer's forum. We know the PSP 1.0 exploit works, so we don't need additional binary (closed-source) "proof-of-concept" apps.
[I know the exploit is brand new, but sharing source code usually is a win-win for everyone involved - regardless of how early it is]

IMHO: Any binary posts should be accompanied by source code - otherwise move to a PSP 1.0 homebrew user forum (perhaps on another BBS)
Dont be so demanding if he doesnt want to put his code he doesnt have to. What have you contributed code wise??
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Currently they've both contributed the same amount to the scene: 0 lines.

:)
weak

Post by weak »

i just want to fix potential errors and clean up the src a bit. then i'll release it anyway.

although there isnt much you can learn from another tetris implementation.
Last edited by weak on Thu May 12, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

Addressing skippy911's point only:
> dont be so demanding if he doesnt want to put his code he doesnt have to. What have you contributed code wise??

This is a developer BBS. Posting a binary only is not helping the goal of sharing developer info. If this were a user BBS, you would be correct.

People don't have to contribute something as an entry fee for others to share their work.
If you don't understand that concept, you should not be looking at open source shared community efforts (instead find a community that only shares within a small elite non-public group)
----
Addressing the meat of the issue, and this program in particular:

weak wrote:
> just want to fix potential errors and clean up the src a bit. then i'll release it anyway.
> athough there isnt much you can learn from another tetris implementation.

Excellent

I'm a big fan of open-source and open-information.
If there is nothing new to learn over the Hello World sample, then that's cool too - sharing is good.

FWIW:
I don't have a PSP 1.0 Japanese device, but am evaluating whether it is worth finding one now -- or waiting for someone to figure out a reflashing firmware hack. If I see the current programs are accessing many system features, then it may convince me...
If not, direct hardware accesses programs are still interesting and keep the PSP buzz going.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

pspret, you are in no position to dictate terms, and we have no such rule on these forums that complete code must be shared, thats an option left for the author.

And frankly nothing can be learned from either gb emu or tetris clone if you have paid attention to the few threads that actually contain dev information here.

using nm/objdump easily shows what functions have been used, see no magic, so for the source-collectors, go code instead and stop wasting time.
Kung VU

Post by Guest »

I agree with blackdroid.

Binaries only for some things have been given. But those binaries are enablers. They allow people to dump the information they need to find out their own information. They give people the means to write their own homebrew.

Besides, I don't see the point of seeing source to stuff PORTED to PSP. See the threads of library calls and join in thrill of discovery.
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> pspret, you are in no position to dictate terms
Gee, expressing an opinion, and a suggestion, and a polite request -- and people jump down my throat...
[and the person I asked apparently agrees to sharing source, which is cool]

IMHO using a developer forum for a binary trading post is not a good idea. You are welcome to a different opinion. The board mods can decide for themselves what they want to police or not.
weak

Post by weak »

updated
Herben

Post by Herben »

Thread locked. Weak: please start a new thread in the PSP Software Discussion forum.