Elf to PBP convertor v0.3

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

DrEggman

Elf to PBP convertor v0.3

Post by DrEggman »

"This tool takes an elf file compiled for psp and "converts" it into a PBP file.
You can then copy this pbp file to a subdir in "PSP/GAME" on your memcard (eg to "PSP/GAME/APP1/EBOOT.PBP")
This tool has been designed so that you could run it at the end of your makefile,
you could even set your makefile to then copy the pbp to your psp after making it
(assuming you first set your psp to usb mode).

Let the pspdev begin! "

"Ver.3
Slightly updated version of the elf2pbp tool.

The included param.sfo file is now made as simlpe and generic as i could
while it would still work. You can now also set the name of your app from the command line

eg: ebp2elf main.elf "My First Demo"

http://www.internalreality.com/

What exactly does this mean?
engstrom

Post by engstrom »

Get a compiled psp .elf file and convert it. If it's anything like malloc(?) mentioned then the resulting app will run on a firmware v1.0 PSP.

Or not...

These guys have a lot of other releases on the site; anyone use any of 'em?
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

It is only for Version 1.00 PSP. There is no encryption of the ELF file. And I looked over the source code and it says "tool to quickly convert an elf file into a pbp for running on a v1.00 psp".

So for all us 1.50 PSPs out of luck so far. Back to the drawing board.
sq377

Post by sq377 »

hmm... maybe the way to go... would be to find out how to go back. Someone with a 1.0 psp has to find a way to get it all off of there...
jason

Post by jason »

sq377 wrote:hmm... maybe the way to go... would be to find out how to go back. Someone with a 1.0 psp has to find a way to get it all off of there...
I agree, maybe one could read the eeprom with the 1.0 firmware (I have no problem opening my PSP to flash my firmware to 1.0) or find a way for us to downgrade it.

That would rock! I really have no interest in games, I just want to run my own elf files, but for that I guess you would need the SDK, no? If yes, then this thread is useless. Or could one use a cross compiler?
Histo

Post by Histo »

Still doesn't obtain the ultimate goal well atleast for v1.0 it will. The ultimate goal would be to run code on any version regardless of firmware.

This appears to be nothing more than what malloc was stating.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

This is interesting, but has anyone actually tested this on any 1.0 machines? for all we know this could be fake. as well who has the 1.0 models? are these the prelease or the japanese models? if its the jap model then i could get my hands on some of that(china town) else, this is useless.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The original japan models were shipped as 1.0, but word is they ship as 1.5 now.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

hmm, but i'm sure they still have some 1.0, but i check with my friend and they sell them for 500CAD, O_O. too much $$ to risk. but has anyone confirm whether or not this is real or fake? where there any US models that where 1.0? or where they 1.5 as soon as they came out down here.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
uplink242

Post by uplink242 »

This is interesting, but has anyone actually tested this on any 1.0 machines? for all we know this could be fake.
Yup, I bet you're right. I've read nowhere, ever, that ANY PSP unit (dev unit exempt) is able to run unencrypted executables. This is news to me. From what I've read (and some (most?) of the info out there is speculation and best-guesses), I'm of the understanding that the PSP does AES en/decryption in hardware. I doubt that firmware has anything to do with this process and the only way to disable the en/decryption is at the hardware level (read mod-chip, hardware hack).

This tool is simply a PBP packer that anyone with limited programming experience could cook up in an evening. I guess when/if we find a way to run our own code, this tool might be helpful (if you haven't already written your own during reverse engineering experiements).

I would still like to put this out there: is there any proof of these claims; that Sony "forgot" to enable (how is this even possible?) their crypto scheme on JP PSP 1.0 units?
Neila

Post by Neila »

uplink242, I'm sure Sony can't make a mistake like that.
Last edited by Neila on Thu May 05, 2005 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> just to recap:
> a PROPER PSP - ELF/PRX can be executed when substituted for the LOADER (xxxxx.PSP) in the PBP packet on ver 1.0

Just to clarify:
This is a *claim* made by "malloc" on another thread.
[give or take calling it a "LOADER"]

The ELF2PBP tool assumes that claim is true (similar to other PBP packing tools - not rocket science)

----
AFAIK this has not been independently verified/reproduced.
I haven't seen a photo (or ideally a movie) of a PSP running custom code.

There are a lot of hoaxes floating around out there. This one does sound like it may work -- but sometimes things sound too good to be true ;->
[fact or hoax? -- I'm reserving judgement until I see someone running custom code; or instead a week goes by with no confirmation]
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

just to confirm, my japanese PSP shipped with version 1.5.
1.0s will probably start getting very rare.
"the sony PSP was built by god, to determine who on earth had the best skills to defeat the armies of satan" - Saint Peter.
uplink242

Post by uplink242 »

uplink242, for someone who writes a lot you don't seem to read much.
Yeah, I did read the only LOCKED thread related to this claim by malloc. There is NO PROOF there... Nor has anyone else stepped up and validated his claim. So please tell me, what other threads shall I read?
The ELF2PBP tool assumes that claim is true (similar to other PBP packing tools - not rocket science)
Exactly... A lot of folks seem to be doing a lot of "assuming" these days. Where is the PROOF? There is none... AFAIK the AES decryption can not be turned on/off via firmware.
1.0s will probably start getting very rare.
This the crux of mallocs claim. Almost no 1.0 units exist, or none exists in the hands of true "testers".

Why can't anyone else independantly verify this? Hmmm...
Neila

Post by Neila »

truth is in the eye of the beholder
Last edited by Neila on Thu May 05, 2005 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
uplink242

Post by uplink242 »

So what proof will be good enough for you?
One other person wanking on the forums certainly isn't proof. I could have just as easily posted the same. There about a billion things you could do to prove that you're running homebrew code on the PSP. I don't have time to list all the possibilities. I haven't seen any proof. The claim by malloc and the dribble from PSPimp is all the FACTS that you need to satisfy this claim? C'mon man, you can't be that naive.

It is FAR FAR FAR away from FACT!
Neila

Post by Neila »

actually elf files may not run at all, I hear they require PRX files only
Last edited by Neila on Thu May 05, 2005 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Neila, please settle down. Uplink242 is just trying to say there isn't any known proof from multiple reliable sources yet so people shouldn't get too excited. Believe it if you want, but don't knock him for needing more proof.

As an aside, v1.0 units aren't as uncommon as you'd think. Lots of folk on efnet #pspdev have them - I have two myself.
PSPimp

Post by PSPimp »

uplink242 wrote:It is FAR FAR FAR away from FACT!
if you say so... all I know is that there are people out there happily coding on their 1.0 PSP's now while guys like you run around and whine...
Neila

Post by Neila »

there must be people who have tested this, actually someone would have bragged with some shots of home-code running on the PSP, so it's doubtful... but who cares if we can't use it on the 1.5
Last edited by Neila on Thu May 05, 2005 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Perhaps we're keeping quiet for a reason. :)
Neila

Post by Neila »

hehe.. just teasing people, eh?
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
asmodi

Post by asmodi »

People will know if this is true or false as time goes by. Try it out and see if it works, put some time into it. A lock of the other thread discussing this wasen't a hint for not discussing this further?

Nelia, I really like your posts. Hopefully, people will learn by your misstakes and stop typing random stuff.
It's not in my nature to be mysterious, but I can't talk about it, and I can't talk about why.
Neila

Post by Neila »

glad to be an example :)
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
Grover

Post by Grover »

This is a plain joke - why, if you know you have a version 1.0 PSP or know people are already coding on PSP would you play little childish games ooPo?

Surely a simple.. "yes, I have seen it", or "no it doesnt work" would make for alot more constructive comment? PSPimp.. what are you on about? How are they signing their elfs? eh?.. how do you _know_ there are people happily coding on their PSP's.. maybe with a devkit (even they are rediculously hard to get at the moment!!).. if you are telling the truth.. show some piccies, movies.. why not eh?

Imho, until someone shows some movies that theyve written and compiled for, and ran on a PSP, its all bs..

This thread is like a bunch of kids.. saying.. "My dads got a space shuttle in the back yard.. ".. proove it ..
Bye.
subbie

Post by subbie »

Ok. I know it will be hard to believe what i type since this is my first post here but I am trying to research what I can on this tool.

Anyways here it goes.

1) I have a PSP with bios 1.00. Japanese launch psp all have bios 1.00. The 1.5 firmware update did not come about till the USA Launch. So it should be posible though import shops to still find 1.0 bios models.

Ps, Mine was bought back in december when it cost me an arm and a leg.

2) I dont have the PSP sdk on me (a coder at work does but since he is out all I could do was snag the simple.elf from his pc). So I have not tested far.

Ok so here is the results.

.) I converted the simple.elf file with this tool. I uploaded the file into the location the tool says to. The bios detects the file ans shows me the custom icon used. When I execute the file the PSP does boot! (it shows the psp white logo and all). Once the demo is booted I get a black screen and see the memory stick light indicate it was reading something 1 time then after that does a really long memory stick read (i think trying to read the contence of the memstick before returning to bios). After this the program returns right back into the bios with no message.

I further played around with things. I found out two things which lead me to believe some code is actualy executing.

1) If the file is ran with the bay drive closed and a UMD in it (ape escape) I return to the bios after the 2nd memstick read flash with no error message.

2) If the file is ran with the bay drive open or no UMD in it I return to the bios after the 2nd (and rather long) memstick flash with an error message "The game could not be started. (80020001)".

So there you have it. I might try installing the SDK on my pc to see what I get in the next few days (would do now but of course at work and busy).

I hope some of this is helpful in some way.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Until there is proof, I agree... it is absolutely 'bs'.
danielglez

Post by danielglez »

How about uploading a video? It would be a good proof of it.
subbie

Post by subbie »

sure if you can deal with taken by a cell and have a place for me to upload it.
gandalf the grey

Post by gandalf the grey »

Sorry I'm a n00b, but what can you do with an "elf" file?
Can you run all kinds off homebrew software? Like emulators?
Fly you fools...