Firmware

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Sir_LANs-a-lot

Firmware

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

If the US release will be shipping with v1.5(?) of the firmware and must already have shipped to stores, is there any definitive word on the differences between 1.0 and 1.5? and why isn't it available for download already?

Just wondered is all...
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]
GoGo22

Post by GoGo22 »

how do you know that the US release wil be having V1.5 ????
Sir_LANs-a-lot

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

Just going on what's been posted here.

I suppose it's not *definite* that it will be shipping with v1.5, but it would appear to make sense that bugs in the Japanese release would've been ironed out for the US rollout.
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Uhm... what bugs? :)
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

The guy who posted about 1.5 being shipped with US psp never replied when questioned about his source or what bugs were fixed. Id take it with a pinch of salt.
pdc

Post by pdc »

ooPo wrote:Uhm... what bugs? :)
Whether or not you are being serious, I'm not sure! I'll tell you anyway...

1. The JPEG viewer has some issues. Selecting to 'Zoom In' on a JPEG has caused my PSP to freeze, requiring a power-off.
The problem could not be reproduced, so it is not a problem with the JPEG itself. It has happened a couple of times though.

2. With Ridge Racers (I believe. Untested with Lumines), as the game boots up, hitting 'Home' continuously, until it finally works and the "Do You Want To Exit The Game?" screen appears and selecting 'Yes' causes the PSP to freeze. Or at least it did twice in a row. Then I didn't try again :)

I can't think of any other bugs I have encountered, nor do I know if these are problems common to all PSPs.
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

bugs wise, there seems to be a problem after inserting a UMD just after system bootup. The disk cant be read. If the disc is in the system at boot up or after a significant time after boot up it will work fine. Literally, its just as you get into the menu, insert the disc. Ive heard that mentioned by others, but I cant remember where.

Other than bugs, im kind hoping they are gonna improve mp3 playback. Its severly lacking when compared with video playback. It needs to be able to skip to a position within a track and to be able to keep the position when system goes into standby. Its not fun when your listening to a 2 hour radio show, only for the system to go into standby while you are talking to someone and having to fast forward at 1x to find your position for a good 10-15 minutes.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Fair enough. I can't say I've run into any other than the psp not liking large pictures, like some panoramic pictures I've taken.
segobi

Post by segobi »

yes the us psps will be shipped with v 1.5. I also read that on ign.com.
GoGo22

Post by GoGo22 »

If the us psp will have the 1.5v cant we (i mean the jap psp users) use that firmware ???

Post by Guest »

GoGo22 wrote:If the us psp will have the 1.5v cant we (i mean the jap psp users) use that firmware ???
Sure, when Sony lets us. There are any number of people watching Sony with an eagle eye to crow when a firmware update is available for the fetching. Sit tight, I know the wait must be agonizing. ;)
GoGo22

Post by GoGo22 »

gorim wrote:I know the wait must be agonizing. ;)
Yeah man hehe i can`t wait until the firmware update wil come out :)))
psp-robot

Post by psp-robot »

I don't think firmware ver. 1.5 with PSP-1001K will include all the new features that we have been expecting since the leaked firmware found on Internet many weeks ago.

IGN does not have mentioned new apps other than the one already embedded with the psp-1000k (jap)

so, this makes me think that we "PSP-1000K" users will have to wait few more weeks/months before the "precious" new firmware to be realeased.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

pdc wrote:
ooPo wrote:Uhm... what bugs? :)
Whether or not you are being serious, I'm not sure! I'll tell you anyway...

1. The JPEG viewer has some issues. Selecting to 'Zoom In' on a JPEG has caused my PSP to freeze, requiring a power-off.
The problem could not be reproduced, so it is not a problem with the JPEG itself. It has happened a couple of times though.

2. With Ridge Racers (I believe. Untested with Lumines), as the game boots up, hitting 'Home' continuously, until it finally works and the "Do You Want To Exit The Game?" screen appears and selecting 'Yes' causes the PSP to freeze. Or at least it did twice in a row. Then I didn't try again :)

I can't think of any other bugs I have encountered, nor do I know if these are problems common to all PSPs.
If a certain jpeg crashes the system then id take a look at that as an opportunity rather than a setback. maybe you want to hand that pic over (if its appropriate :P) to another board member with the proper tools to try to figure if this is somekind of overflow. with overflows, the words (arbitrary code) usualy follow close behind.
wenmi

Post by wenmi »

i have the same problem with some pics.

i don't have the problem with the home button
mharris

Post by mharris »

The downside of automatic firmware upgrades, is that if we can find a weakness that allows us to do homebrew (e.g., the Independence Day exploit on the PS2), it will be pretty easy for Sony to close it up and distribute it to all the current PSPs that have been sold (as opposed to waiting until another production run, like they've had to do on the PS2). Wow, that was a long sentence.

Just my 2c
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Well, its not really automatic currently. But yeah, you may want to get a 2nd launch-day psp and keep it virgin.
pdc

Post by pdc »

kry.sys wrote: If a certain jpeg crashes the system then id take a look at that as an opportunity rather than a setback. maybe you want to hand that pic over (if its appropriate :P) to another board member with the proper tools to try to figure if this is somekind of overflow. with overflows, the words (arbitrary code) usualy follow close behind.
Like I said, this crash cannot be reproduced. I blame it on random errors from Sony's notoriously dodgy software ^_^

As for things like this being seen as an opportunity, I'm not a hacker unfortunately :( so I wouldn't know where to start.

Anyway, for the curious, here is the JPEG that froze my PSP on a couple of occasions.
http://pdc.me.uk/psp/garun.deviantart.c ... f_Fire.jpg
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Even if you could find what you could confirm is a buffer overflow in the JPEG viewer, what could you do with it? Without knowing how to access the GPU, MS, or even the serial port, what good does it do?

The same question can be posed to those trying to find a way in through these firmware images. Where are you going to get the basic info you need to get something on the screen?
"He was warned..."
pdc

Post by pdc »

hmm... I swear something odd is going on.

Curious as to what could crash the PSP, I took that above-linked image into a hex editor and made some selective, subtle changes.

Now I can crash my PSP almost at will :\
The PSP will freeze, rendering all controls dead and in 3-5 secs will power down.

The three JPEGs are here: http://pdc.me.uk/psp/freeze/

It takes some time so I just now attempted to write down a sure way of reproducing it.
I powered up and opened a3.jpg by pressing Circle and then once the picture was on screen, I selected the 'Display' option via the Triangle menu.
It froze straight away!
Now I power back up, open a3.jpg, follow the same procedure and there are no problems whatsoever.

Basically, by
1. Opening the JPEG for viewing (pressing circle to open)
2. Accessing the Triangle menu and selecting 'zoom'
3. Accessing the Triangle menu and selecting 'display'
All in a seemingly random order, my PSP will certainly crash pretty quickly.

I appreciate this is an awful method and I can gain nothing from it.
I've had no problems whatsoever with any other JPEGs though.

Perhaps someone with a 1st gen Japanese PSP could have a go,
see if I just have a dodgy PSP! :\ *worries*
emiisdev

Post by emiisdev »

Confirmed on the Japanese model.

I took a break from WipeOut and tried your jpg. All I had to do was choose the 'display' icon from the menu when I had the picture selected. Everything froze, controls didn't respond and after a couple of seconds the unit powered off.

Weird.

Emi ^_^
Sir_LANs-a-lot

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

Interesting - I wonder if the powering off is like a built-in "protection" thing in the case of buffer overflow exploit vectors? or just a quirk...
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]
bartzilla

Post by bartzilla »

Probably a watchdog timer. If the watchdog doesn't get touched after a few seconds (ie. the OS is deadlocked) it probably forces a hard shutdown. Inelegant, but not so much so as a reset button.
pdc

Post by pdc »

bartzilla wrote:Probably a watchdog timer. If the watchdog doesn't get touched after a few seconds (ie. the OS is deadlocked) it probably forces a hard shutdown. Inelegant, but not so much so as a reset button.
I suspect you are right, rather than it being protection against buffer overflow exploits.

I give my PSP a 'challening' ICON1.PMF file to play. The PMF player dies.
And if you try to play another PMF file, the PSP freezes.
Same symptoms apply - frozen screen, dead controls... or so it seems.
This time, screen brightness can still be changed and if you hold the 'mute' button, the PSP will be muted upon reboot.
So the PSP is well enough to touch the watchdog timer.
Also, you can put the PSP into sleep mode. However, it does not wake up from where you were - it boots up from scratch.

The modified ICON1.PMF file clearly crashes the PMF-playback sub-system, as it stops PMF playback and then the PSP will semi-freeze when you next try to play a PMF file. You can carry on as normal otherwise.
The UMD preview video is a PMF file, as this crashes it too.

I wonder if there is any way for anything interesting to come of this...

I don't know if PMFs are used in the games themselves either.

Either way, the PSP certainly has some issues and it's surely only a matter of time before something interesting is found.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

mrbrown wrote:Even if you could find what you could confirm is a buffer overflow in the JPEG viewer, what could you do with it? Without knowing how to access the GPU, MS, or even the serial port, what good does it do?

The same question can be posed to those trying to find a way in through these firmware images. Where are you going to get the basic info you need to get something on the screen?
beyond that the problems i see with writing overflow shell code is where the pointers in memroy for certain peices sit.. among other things.. shell code requires more knoledge of a system than standard software developers possess. but it is a start. any software developers can run some simple code to get memory locations and pointers just like you would on any os/platform.

i mean.. im not saying a jpeg that crashes the system is the coolest thing ever for homebrew... but it IS a start. we dont even know if its an overflow.. or an underrun.. or an infinate loop.

blah...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

OR CENSORSHIP!!!!!

:)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

ooPo wrote:OR CENSORSHIP!!!!!

:)
Heh :)
"He was warned..."
alexmae

Post by alexmae »

i've just upgraded my first gen jpn psp to 1.50 firmware and it doesn't freeze viewing that pic