What to do about the PSP hullabaloo?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

ooPo
Site Admin

What to do about the PSP hullabaloo?

Post by ooPo »

We're getting to the point now where we really need to do something about the traffic. Interesting conversations are being drowned out, or polluted with crappy grandstanding posts. So, here is what I'm suggesting.

- Locking the PSP General Discussion forum.

- Agressively policing the PSP Technical Disccusion forum.

What this means is moving redundant or offtopic posts and locking redundant threads about things already posted. Locking redundant threads can be done immediately, but I would like to see a warn-once policy on banter in threads - basically a nudge to get it back on topic, or the offending posts will be moved to offtopic. I'd really like to avoid outright deleting anything, but sometimes it can't be avoided.

So... any comments?
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

I agree that this is what we should do.
"He was warned..."
asmodi

Post by asmodi »

As there is countless of other general forums for the PSP, I think this is the best way to go. The downside, however, is that you will need to work much harder to delete/lock posts as people will use the development forum instead.
It's not in my nature to be mysterious, but I can't talk about it, and I can't talk about why.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Re: What to do about the PSP hullabaloo?

Post by Drakonite »

ooPo wrote:...or the offending posts will be moved to offtopic. I'd really like to avoid outright deleting anything, but sometimes it can't be avoided.
If we are locking psp general anyways, why not moving the posts that are junked because they are just general psp banter into the locked psp general forum?

But otherwise, I agree.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

If no major disagreement arises, tomorrow shall be the day.
pdc

Post by pdc »

it's a shame PSP General has to go.
Not everything fits into Dev and it would be nice to have a PSP forum where intelligent, technical discussion can take place.

Clearly though, this is not happening :)

I still think clear warnings may be a solution.
If the PSP forums could only be accessed by going through a full-page warning about non-dev talk then people would know not to post and you mods wouldn't have to spend your time locking everything and shouting at everyone :)

If you do decide to scrap the PSP General forum then I think the PSP Dev forum still needs a warning (sticky?), as so many people are finding this forum thanks to roto and PSPirc, etc :)
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Well, technically its only going to be locked. Perhaps someday it will be safe to reopen again.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

I highly doubt that it will be ever safe to open and you'll probably see people still posting non-dev stuff into dev forum. You have your work cut out for you.
As far as your decision to lock the forum - I'd think that most people in PSP threads are lurkers (like me) so it will not affect the majority.
What does this button do?
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The work is already cut out. Closing the general forum just removes the confusion about what kind of conversations we're looking for here.
cory1492

Post by cory1492 »

too bad so many of them are missing the key wording "DEV"
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

PSP General Discussion has been locked.

Please try to stay on topic in the development forum.

Thanks!