hmmm. what does "General Discussion" mean?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

paragon

hmmm. what does "General Discussion" mean?

Post by paragon »

So what exactly does "PSP GENERAL DISCUSSION" mean?
I posted a thread in there about some psp links I found, and was told I was spamming and that I had to keep it dev related.
wait.
isn't there a seperate board for "dev related" psp stuff called "PSP DEVELOPMENT DISCUSSION"

so, general = development?
the general board is described as "Got a question about video encoding? What memory stick to buy? Just need help? Ask here."

hmmm. "What memory stick to buy?" Is that dev related? you learn something new everyday.

I thought general discussion meant just anything about the psp (hence general) - but, I've obviously been educated the general means "dev-related".

and the existence of another forum labeled "development discussion" - which should only have dev-related material - is a mimic.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Let's just say there's way too much posts to handle. If one of your post containing links was removed, it most likely is because an admin thought it was obvious spam, and didn't try too much about it.

Also, we are a bit fed up with the uselessness of some topics, so we are a bit on our nerves and quick to lock any suspect thread.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

I locked that thread, I do agree that the psp general discussion description is abit vague, and not really devish. However lately there have been way too much useless noise that has been kept on other forums when it comes to the ps2, wich I beleive is suited elsewhere. For the record there is alot of moaning on #ps2dev about these recent psp posts. You have to face the fact that this forum site was made in conjunction with the development of homebrew ps2sdk, tools et al, and we the people who do this for deving get quite easily tired reading about threads that suffer from lack of code/dev/machine specific information. And no reading posts like why the psp orders the jpg files in the way it does, etc doesnt fit under that category.
Kung VU
paragon

Post by paragon »

I would then advise that it would seem smart to make a sticky post that details what should be posted and what shouldn't - I believe that would most likely save you guys a lot of trouble.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The only thing that would save us a lot of trouble would be if people would realize this is a development-oriented forum. The general discussion forum is only there in an attempt to filter out all the tech support and me too posts people seem to enjoy posting here.

Perhaps removing the general discussion forum and agressively deleting and locking topics would be a better way to deal with it?

Post by Guest »

I disagree with getting too heavy handed. This should be a short term problem (I know, not short enough for some) and we can weather it.

Perhaps changing the "general" discussion to "Newbie and fan discussion" might help. :)

We want to attact people who are both genuinely interested and seriously capable of contributing to dev. That part is agreed. But what about people who are not yet capable but with some direction and motivation are months or even a year away from being so ?

While such folx are not likely to be making "I'm a newbie so please excuse this obvious and useless stuff I am about to tell you because I can't be bothered to read those previous" posts, they would still be influenced by our reactions.

Another thing I am concerned about, is that attitude breeds more attitude. The more extreme our responses get, the more often and the more likely we are to react that way for things we wouldn't have considered being bothered for in the past. Its natural. For example, over one year ago, if someone was excessively rude to someone else, Oopo would chime in and admonish the rude person. After that, it seemed people would handle things a bit more nicely, even if still blunt and to the point.

I am not saying we shouldn't be strict, I think we should hold to the same high standards for posts we have always tried to hold, just saying we should always take a measured response to any offending post. And we should make sure newcomers to these forums understand the ground rules.

All of this reminds me of the famous Lord of the Rings quote: "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger!"

My what a bunch of crotchety old Wizards we are becoming ;)
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

"Newbie and fan discussion" is the wrong direction, though. We're aiming to minimize the threads that do not contribute towards a development goal. This contribution doesn't have to be great or even technical... what we want to avoid is people asking for help on how to format movies and other mundane things better served by a more general-purpose PSP site.

As for the general attitude of responses getting ruder... this is a result of the sheer volume of crap to wade through to even get a small taste of something interesting. It is scaring away the kind of threads we're used to. No matter how much you point this out, more and more people arrive.

Perhaps a better approach would be to find a more general purpose PSP forum site and actively point people in that direction?
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

Give me a name of a more general PSP discussion forum and I'll put it in news tomorrow.

Oobles.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

I vote for removing general and locking down development to just development.

We're not a PSP fan site, and there are a billion other sites now that cover PSP "general" topics. We know that we won't get any useful information out of a general forum to further PSP dev. To keep a general forum around at this point is just stroking our collective egos. If we're not going to police it like it will need to be, then we need to just get rid of it.

Honestly it's not a difficult decision.
"He was warned..."

Post by Guest »

Oobles wrote:Give me a name of a more general PSP discussion forum and I'll put it in news tomorrow.

Oobles.
For PS2 related stuff, ps2-scene.org I think has been the best site for fan questions and information. I have always believed that site together with ps2dev.org made a good synergy.

For PSP related stuff, its a bit harder to pick a site. I think ps2dev.org grabbed alot of the PSP related talk, making it harder for a site geared towards "fan" information to stand out. I don't know how we can pick a good site right now, other than giving perhaps a small rough list of our best guesses.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Oobles wrote:Give me a name of a more general PSP discussion forum and I'll put it in news tomorrow.

Oobles.
http://www.pspforums.com/

:P
"He was warned..."
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

www.pspforums.com was way too obvious, try again ;)
but great now I have an url to kill threads with. Im armed and dangerous, feel my anger, but I will by no means be subtle.
Kung VU
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

gorim wrote:For PS2 related stuff, ps2-scene.org I think has been the best site for fan questions and information. I have always believed that site together with ps2dev.org made a good synergy.
ps2-scene.org a synergy with ps2dev.org? Are you daft man? How is a site that promotes modchips for "backups" and hdloader (if not promote, facilitate) synergistic with a site that deletes, locks, or bans those posters outright?

I wish some of those guys would post that nonsense over here. Have you even looked at their front page lately?
"He was warned..."
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Everything needs an evil twin, I guess.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

ooPo wrote:Everything needs an evil twin, I guess.
Ps2dev.skippy.org? :D
boomint

Post by boomint »

Well, if you can't beat them, join them...

FFS let's make some real annoying noise!
--( someone stole my sig! )--
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

gorim wrote:I have always believed that site together with ps2dev.org made a good synergy.
Hmm... You drone on and on with long pointless speeches, occasionally not even knowing what you are talking about, and you use words like "synergy" ... I'm guessing you make a pretty good manager. ;)
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
paragon

Post by paragon »

wow. I visited this "pspforums.com" and two minutes into reading it's "General PSP" forum - I can now see EXACTLY where you are coming from - being mad at all this useless fodder - etc.

the forum is essentially a bunch of idiots talking about "what would be cool with the psp".

if my psp had a golden toilet add-on that would be pretty cool. ^_^