OS of the PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ikarius

OS of the PSP

Post by ikarius »

Hello guys,

Well, this is my first post, so I'll just introduce myself first. I am ikarius. I developped few applications here and there for the dreamcast, ps2 and gba without necessarly releasing them (mostly tests here and there and few drafts, nothing very serious).

Lately, I've been interested in the psp scene, since this would be a console i'd seriously develop for. I don't own one myself (shame of all bills to pay) but I shall have mine in about a week or two.

After reading a lot of posts, I haven't got an answer to my question yet. So, if this question or my answer is somewhere else, if you could just point me out it's fine.

I've seen on some weird forums claiming they hacked the psp (which this is a lie, 'cause i think guys here have more clues than them), someone who posted an error of the psp and said it was a WinCE error. Okay, like I said, I don't own a psp yet, so I am quite in the unknown field here, and I think all this is a scam.

My question is, is psp using WinCE-like OS (like the Dreamcast) or is it a psp-native operating system ?
pdc

Post by pdc »

This has been asked before.

The answer is that it is a PSP-native OS.
Although Sony have 'borrowed' some open code. Most notably some TCP/IP code from NetBSD.

Windows on the PSP? I don't think Sony / MS are close enough for this to happen ;)