This Web Brower stuff is awsome. would this be possible

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Josh

This Web Brower stuff is awsome. would this be possible

Post by Josh »

Im sure this would be possible, but the question is how hard would it be.. since the people who have figured how to get online, could you somehow figure a way to copy the web browser onto a memory stick so the people who dont have wipeout can use the net too.. i dont think the question would be if it is possible or not, i think the question would be how hard would it be.
Naota

Post by Naota »

I don't think you can copy the broswer. The broswer isn't the game. The game just has a command for the psp to use its browser. The game commands the psp's browser to connect to a website. So what you would need is an application that makes use of the broswer copied to the memory stick in this case it would be the wipout game. So unless some one can reverse engineer the part of the game that sends a command to the psp to search for a url you'll have to get the game somehow. Thats my take on it anyway.
Josh

Post by Josh »

so basicially someone needs to make a program to command the psp to open the web browser... it cant be THAT hard ;-P
Sir_LANs-a-lot

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

Josh wrote:so basicially someone needs to make a program to command the psp to open the web browser... it cant be THAT hard ;-P
So what are you waiting for?

Write it.
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]
Josh

Post by Josh »

the only programming language i know is PHP, and ancient QBasic with both are useless for this type of thing needed
Naota

Post by Naota »

Josh wrote:so basicially someone needs to make a program to command the psp to open the web browser... it cant be THAT hard ;-P
lol yeah but the monkey island game might be the key. if we can disect wipeout and get monkey island to boot by studying the code of the wipeout game applying commands and code to the monkey game then we can squeeze in a command to activate the browser. and maybe even make a gui to go with it. But if this encryption stuff can't be beat then its a long shot. just an idea.
segobi

Post by segobi »

you could set up your system to open another website instead of the wipeout one...would be funny to see what the psp will make when it gets other websites...
volksport

Post by volksport »

It's already been done, people have gone to google, slashdot, etc.
pdc

Re: This Web Brower stuff is awsome. would this be possible

Post by pdc »

Josh wrote:Im sure this would be possible, but the question is how hard would it be.. since the people who have figured how to get online, could you somehow figure a way to copy the web browser onto a memory stick so the people who dont have wipeout can use the net too.. i dont think the question would be if it is possible or not, i think the question would be how hard would it be.
The difference here is that no one has "figured how to get online". Wipeout opens a web-browser and goes online for you!
Fundamentally, getting the PSP to go to the website of your choice is not PSP hacking. It's just being clever with your PC.
Full marks to roto though, as this does open doors for hacking and the whole #pspdev channel is interested in what he is trying!

As things stand, there is no way so read the UMD or the PSP system software; Never mind extracting a web browser and packaging it in bootable/executable form! :^)
senas8

Post by senas8 »

Well we got the gamemonkey dummy file to boot, we got to redirect the URL on Wipe Out ... now all we need is something the psp can understand and execute.
Michael1980

Post by Michael1980 »

Catching the update via the browser (when available) can be pretty usefull.
paragon

Post by paragon »

you're inferring that somehow, someway - someone is able to read the UMD disc with the broswer on it - somehow, someway take it off the UMD - and somehow, someway make it a working executable on the PSP -

1 in a bajillion