Ethereal and PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

andy0482

Ethereal and PSP

Post by andy0482 »

I am trying to use Ethereal to sniff packets from the PSP. I have never used Ethereal to sniff wireless packets and I am having troubles. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router 802.11b. I tried to have my laptop connected with both my wireless and ethernet connections but both can’t see the PSP packets to the router. I read this was cause by the switch in the router.

Anyone know how to get around this??

Thanks
soks

Post by soks »

Well a switch by default routes (that feels like a typo) all packets to the proper destination and thus any packets not meant for your computer have no chance in hell of getting there, and so sniffing won't work.

If it were a hub on the other hand or some sort of different network layout it would work, but since all linksys routers come with internal switches (some configuration on the router might help you out... but I'm not sure, don't have a linksys where I am now) you're out of luck on sniffing.

However... since it is wireless and not encrypted... if you can connect your computer wirelessly or something... I have no idea. I don't work with wireless... and my roomate who is majoring in this stuff isn't here so... poo.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

For ethereal to sniff everything on a wireless network, it needs direct access to that network. That means you need a wireless network adaptor on the pc running ethereal.