Alternative Approach to PSP "Decryption"

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Heko

Alternative Approach to PSP "Decryption"

Post by Heko »

Hey guys,

I've messed around with the Tapwave Zodiac's (http://www.tapwave.com) 128 bit RSA encryption, and I can tell you that encryption is not something you want to go up against. Sony has this region covered, no doubt.

I'll tell you the weaknesses that Tapwave had with their Zodiac console:
1. They didn't encrypt the whole game, they only added an encrypted chunk that was the checksum for the code.
2. They had a tool that you let you 'test' the code without the signature, and this tool was more or less released to the public

Sony has both of these field covered, after seeing the PSP games take several seconds to boot, there's no doubt in my mind that the entire executable is crypted. Sony also has a developer tool that lets you test the code, it's some weird box that went on selling for 5k, and this goes on to demonstrate that Sony is ANYTHING but lazy.

No copy protection system has absolutely no hole to tear at, and I imagine we have several holes to tear at:

1. Sony has a seperate copy protection engine/chip thing? Get some hardware engineers to look at the code entering and leaving the machine. Heck, if we could take that chip and put it on a protoboard or two, we could build our own encryption/decryption tool

2. Social engineer the developer folk to release their devkit - with the devkit we have absolutely EVERYTHING we need to know, we know their encryption system in detail. This is obviously the easiest approach, but I think we should try the other options before resorting to this one.

I'm telling you guys, opening up the savegames and encrypted executables is a waste of time, Sony anticipated this to the minute...
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

from my experience.. for what its worth... and ive posted this before.

the dev kits have no encryption and are only capable of running straight code.

the production units are just the opposite.

you have to send a software product "package" to sony and they make the final checks and press the image with thier keys.

this not only protects the encryption keys but also debugginng someone elses production games for your benifit. sony has had dev kits in the past that allow you to debug production games and some high dollar devs got pretty upset.

ive also posted before that sony has done some extensive hammering on thier own encryption. from what i can tell you.. not even thier own people who know how the files work can get anything without the keys. the keys are IN your hands.

edit: engrish sprell check 1 of ?

Post by Guest »

Sorry, but its not cool to do homebrew by illegally snagging real devkits. This isn't how people like to work here. Thread locked.