Internet access on NA PSPs from release?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Kamilion

Internet access on NA PSPs from release?

Post by Kamilion »

I was reading gamespot yesterday, and I noticed something they said...
Gamespot wrote:
We were able to configure our network settings and immediately log onto our internal wireless network. The network-configuration options are fairly robust. Anyone who has configured a PC with a wireless card will recognize all of the available options. The unit also offers an "easy" configuration mode that allows the PSP to automatically detect and connect to an open wireless network. Our CNET office building offers free wireless connectivity, but as with most public hot spots, you first have to click through a terms and conditions HTML page before getting Internet access. Using the PSP, we were able to reach the page and click on the "I agree" button.

We were able to get onto the Web, but it appears that Sony doesn't yet have its servers up for online PSP play. We couldn't find any game-matchup servers ready for PSP traffic, but we were able to reach a "coming soon" splash page when we tried accessing the downloads area for Wipeout Pure.

Doesn't that sound like the US version has at least some of the features we've heard about with the non-working firmware update? Such as the webbrowser?

I dunno, but I've heard here that the PSP's NA release will include firmware version 1.5 instead of the japanese version's 1.0... Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Maybe someone who works at a gamestop/eb/bestbuy/warehouse and can open a box to check?

Here's the link to the gamespot article.
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-11721-1679-x-x-x

Edit:
M2 wrote: no. you use the wi-fi connection to join a local wi-fi network, to receive firmware upgrades. there are 12 known bugs with version 1.0. the us will ship with version 1.5, which addresses 9 of those known bugs. i'm guessing after the us release, the network update function will be available for the japanese units.
SinisterWhisper

Post by SinisterWhisper »

Yes the firmware is a different version (partly to fix bugs from the japanese version and they are supposed to get the update when the new psp is released) but this is just what i have read and none of it straight from sony. However as for web browsing I have seen nothing about it. Online features are strictly for gaming but there are supposed to be news pages for certain games that you can read however that could just be done through the games browser so who knows.

My guess would be online features come out at the sametime or after we get keyboards because beforehand it would be pointless.