Booting the PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

psp-robot

Booting the PSP

Post by psp-robot »

Hi all,

I have noticed that when I power off my PSP by keeping the button pressed few seconds… it turns off… then right after I power it on again the PSP shows a welcome screen “Sony computer entertainment inc” then it directly loads the actual UMD game without using the GUI.

I also noticed that there is a longer memory stick access before it loads the UMD game.

This make me think of the eventuality to be able to load a firmware file from the memory stick or an UMD disc without the need to get a Wifi internet connection

What you guys think ?

regards
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

When you update over the network, it actually downloads it to a directory on the memory stick (/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP), and then runs it. You can manually put the file there and run it if you want... no network required.
robotrhys

Post by robotrhys »

take the UMD out first, that might solve your prob, same with PS2, you need to take the disk out first.
pdc

Re: Booting the PSP

Post by pdc »

psp-robot wrote:This make me think of the eventuality to be able to load a firmware file from the memory stick or an UMD disc without the need to get a Wifi internet connection

What you guys think ?
Sony have said that apps will be bootable from the memory stick.
This is how updates and downloadable demos will work.