PSP Linux Kernel

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Pikoro

PSP Linux Kernel

Post by Pikoro »

I'm wondering... anyone have any docs on setting up a crosscompiling linux environment for the R4000 processor?

I'd like to compile a kernel and everything else as modules and see if I can't get the thing to boot from the memory stick. . Something along the lines of a milo bootloader for normal mips processors.

Cheers
Pikoro
http://www.psphacks.net

Post by Guest »

www.linux-mips.org.

Go for it. However, since the I/O devices and their memory mappings, DMA channels, and registers are completely unknown, with no known parallel already with an existing Linux kernel, you will get absolutely no where.

But please keep us up to date on your progress, or better yet, post it at your website. ;)
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

gorim wrote:you will get absolutely no where.
Well, you gotta start somewhere!

Post by Guest »

zigzag wrote:
Yes, but the point was, this is perhaps one of the least recommended places to start. However, note that I did provide some encourage anyhow - "go for it".

Bear in mind, you can't even compile a linux kernel for the PS2, unless you use the Sony Linux kit that already has the I/O device drivers and PS2 custom modifications built in. It is learning the PSP equivalent devices that is the necessary step at this moment.

I was trying to be helpful by suggesting someone not waste energy simply by trying to compile an arbitrary linux kernel for a R4000, but neither was I going to stand in the way if someone was hell bent on it. :)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Compile it? What the heck is he going to do with it once it's built?
"He was warned..."

Post by Guest »

mrbrown wrote:Compile it? What the heck is he going to do with it once it's built?
Hey... I ask no questions. Just trying to help a motivated soul on his "walkabout" journey to find himself. ;)
konfig

Post by konfig »

gorim wrote:
zigzag wrote:

Bear in mind, you can't even compile a linux kernel for the PS2, unless you use the Sony Linux kit that already has the I/O device drivers and PS2 custom modifications built in.
Sounds frustrated.

It has been almost 5 years since PS2's release. Is it true that PS2's detailed IO hardware specification(IO and graphics hardware registers and how PS2 uses these registers to control graphics output and other IO devices) still remains unknown for us?

If yes, how does those software simulators such as NES, SNES simulator works? Do they work by completely using CPU resource and ignore PS2's GPU?

Post by Guest »

konfig wrote:
Sounds frustrated.

It has been almost 5 years since PS2's release. Is it true that PS2's detailed IO hardware specification(IO and graphics hardware registers and how PS2 uses these registers to control graphics output and other IO devices) still remains unknown for us?
Excellent questions!!! In the context of Linux, the answers are less technical than one of interest.

A great deal of the IO hardware specification IS known, mostly from examining the PS2Linux kernel, and before that, the hard efforts of the first intrepid PS2 Dev'ers who scraped together bits and pieces of info and hacked away to discover those fruitful first morsels of data.

However, while there has been interest in making a standalone Linux kernel for the PS2 that doesn't require an "RTE", or relies on an open version of the "RTE", the interest hasn't been strong enough nor widespread enough. Mrbrown can probably speak more to this, no doubt he will add a "So when is so-and-so going to work on TGE ?" :) :) :)

Most PS2 hardware hacking has centered around remaining as close to the hardware as possible in programming efforts, and at best, relying on the native OS facilities of the PS2.

At least, this is what I have come to believe from my standpoint. Certainly the nature of this question will have a wide variety of responses, since its really not so much a technical question.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

gorim wrote:Yes, but the point was, this is perhaps one of the least recommended places to start. However, note that I did provide some encourage anyhow - "go for it".

Bear in mind, you can't even compile a linux kernel for the PS2, unless you use the Sony Linux kit that already has the I/O device drivers and PS2 custom modifications built in. It is learning the PSP equivalent devices that is the necessary step at this moment.

I was trying to be helpful by suggesting someone not waste energy simply by trying to compile an arbitrary linux kernel for a R4000, but neither was I going to stand in the way if someone was hell bent on it. :)
I was mostly kidding :) But hey, at least he is going to try something and that will get people interested and posting here and we might actually get somewhere someday :D
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

mrbrown wrote:Compile it? What the heck is he going to do with it once it's built?
I am guessing what he wants to try is placing it on the memorystick similar to as you would do for a PC to boot off of it. Chances are slim, but you never know. Of course it still won't work, but any indication of an attempt to boot would be a good thing. Not that I believe its going to boot the same way as a PC... but why not try?
konfig

Post by konfig »

gorim wrote:
A great deal of the IO hardware specification IS known, mostly from examining the PS2Linux kernel, and before that, the hard efforts of the first intrepid PS2 Dev'ers who scraped together bits and pieces of info and hacked away to discover those fruitful first morsels of data.

However, while there has been interest in making a standalone Linux kernel for the PS2 that doesn't require an "RTE", or relies on an open version of the "RTE", the interest hasn't been strong enough nor widespread enough. Mrbrown can probably speak more to this, no doubt he will add a "So when is so-and-so going to work on TGE ?" :) :) :)

Most PS2 hardware hacking has centered around remaining as close to the hardware as possible in programming efforts, and at best, relying on the native OS facilities of the PS2.

At least, this is what I have come to believe from my standpoint. Certainly the nature of this question will have a wide variety of responses, since its really not so much a technical question.
It truly is a hard work to hack the PS2. Probably this is the decisive reason
for why there is not a real functional PS2 simulator on PC now.

If it is now possible to get the decrypted game code, to hack the rest part of PS2's hardware, is it a possilbe way to search in the game code for the use of them?
It may be a navie suggest above.

Earlier game console as PS、N64、SNES、GBA etc all have full functional simulator on other hardwares. This indicates their detailed specification is completely known. I think some of them may be hacked mainly by hardware means. Of course, PS2 and PSP is much more complicated, maybe more secured as well. I heard NDS hacking advanced a big step by concentrating on its wareless communication. Maybe PSP hacking can use the similar way?

I think hacking by hardware means may be more efficient than software means, though I don't know much about them.

Once PSP's hacking is done, everything is only a matter of time. I see many homebrewed sofewares on Nintendo's GBA game console. I hope PSP can be the same someday. It will be much more attractive.
konfig

Post by konfig »

zigzag wrote:
I am guessing what he wants to try is placing it on the memorystick similar to as you would do for a PC to boot off of it. Chances are slim, but you never know. Of course it still won't work, but any indication of an attempt to boot would be a good thing. Not that I believe its going to boot the same way as a PC... but why not try?
Can't say the probability is zero for nobody has tried it.

If it really works, things is gonna to be interesting.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

zigzag wrote:I am guessing what he wants to try is placing it on the memorystick similar to as you would do for a PC to boot off of it. Chances are slim, but you never know. Of course it still won't work, but any indication of an attempt to boot would be a good thing. Not that I believe its going to boot the same way as a PC... but why not try?
You can boot off of a memory stick on PC?
"He was warned..."
pixel

Post by pixel »

mrbrown wrote:You can boot off of a memory stick on PC?
Yes, if you have a sony vaio, this acts as a plain usb mass storage; only have to switch some options in the bios to be able to boot on it.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

So all I have to do is switch the setting in my PSP BIOS to get it to boot from ms? Where is it, I don't see it??? I guess it would help too if I picked up a VAIO and put a MIPS R4000 kernel on there so I could boot it.
"He was warned..."