FAO Anybody with Namco Museum

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

L33

FAO Anybody with Namco Museum

Post by L33 »

Hi All,
Anybody have a copy of this game yet? I'm interested to look at this game sharing feature, and how we could possibly use it to our advantage.... If anyone has it would you be kind enough to either:
1. Join XLink kai and use the game sharing feature to send me a game
or
2. Send a game to a friend, and get them to whip out their memorystick the second the download is complete, then upload the contents of the MS (i can provide FTP space...).

I think we may be able to learn alot and come one step closer to running our own code on the psp from this experiment!

Thanks!
L33
Mawdsley

Re: FAO Anybody with Namco Museum

Post by Mawdsley »

I dont own this game either, but from what I have read it does not store the games on the memory stick, but rather runs them from RAM much like games transferred with a GC-GBA link cable on the GBA. Turning off the PSP or loading another game from UMD will erase the games.

Sounds like the only way to get at the code would be to use some packet sniffer during transfer.
Urb85

Some more detailed info...

Post by Urb85 »

No Sorry I haven't got this game but seems the beginning of something very exciting!!

I found some more news about it, and seems to be possible to download on receiving PSP, up to 7 games including Ms. PacMan, Rally-X, Dig-Dug and many others. Simply by activating the “Game Sharing” on the host PSP.
Seems that the transfer starts automatically when it receives a request from a second unit, and the game will be then stored in the unit’s RAM until the PSP is turned off.

You can find something more interesting just here.
-----------------
PHP, ASP.Net, C#, VB.Net
-----------------
mc

Post by mc »

According to the webpage you posted the link to, the transfer does not start automatically on either side. You have to both select the Game Sharing menu option inside the game on the sending PSP, and use the Game Sharing function in the home menu on the receiving PSP. See step 2 in the flow chart. The sender then have to accept the request from the receiver to actually send the game (step 4).

But is seems rather clear that the game is only downloaded to RAM, and not saved anyware. PSP software always asks permission before saving something to memory stick, and I don't see this happening in any of the screen shots. After the download it just asks the user to press ring to start the game.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
Urb85

Something like that

Post by Urb85 »

...well yes, I re-visited that page again to have a quick look, and yes you are right, unfortunately I took the first information somewhere online, in some web-zine that I cannot remember, and as I can see now is slightly different of what Namco says!!

Sorry for the mistake, will be more carefull next-time :-)
-----------------
PHP, ASP.Net, C#, VB.Net
-----------------
L33

Post by L33 »

I'm not so sure. Looking at this image taken from that page:
Image This looks like the standard 'are you sure you want to save' type screen present in all games I own. The next image in the sequence is:

Image Which appears to be the download progress of the game.

I'm not saying for sure that it does or does not save to the MS, but it is a possiblity. I guess the only way we will find out is to try it out!
Also worth mentioning that the MS would possibly classed as RAM...
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

IGN Article on the game sharing of Namco Museum
IGN wrote:... the seven arcade classics are stored to RAM instead of to Memory Stick -- once the PSP is shut down or sent to the Home menu or another game is played, the sampler download is erased.
Pretty conclusive I would say.
mc

Post by mc »

L33 wrote: This looks like the standard 'are you sure you want to save' type screen present in all games I own.
First of all this screen is on the sender side, not the receiver side. Secondly, if you actually _read_ what the screen says, it's

"There was a request from Mr PSP497.
Transfer the game?

Yes No"

This is where you allow or disallow someone to download the game, as I mentioned before.
L33 wrote:Also worth mentioning that the MS would possibly classed as RAM...
Nope. The MemoryStick is flash memory, which is not fully random access for writes. Flash is to RAM what DVD-RW is to DVD-RAM.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
Starman

Post by Starman »

It's on its way. As soon as I get it I'll try it out.

Mike
Pikoro

Post by Pikoro »

I actually have plans to grab this game tomorrow as well as another PSP in order to try to sniff the game during the transfer. I want to stick it on a memory stick and see what happens.

I'll keep you all up to date as well as posting an article at www.psphacks.net

Cheers
Pikoro
http://www.psphacks.net

Post by Guest »

Pikoro wrote:I actually have plans to grab this game tomorrow as well as another PSP in order to try to sniff the game during the transfer. I want to stick it on a memory stick and see what happens.

I'll keep you all up to date as well as posting an article at www.psphacks.net

Cheers
Pikoro
http://www.psphacks.net
Don't be surprised if its completely encrypted. You heard it first here on ps2dev.org.
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

IGN have actually tried the gamesharing of Namco Museum. It seems it is just saved to RAM, not only that but the games are crippled to one level each.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/593/593844p1.html