/boot/vmlinux-2.6.23: not found (noob question)

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Toadzter17

/boot/vmlinux-2.6.23: not found (noob question)

Post by Toadzter17 »

I successfully installed FC7 using the directions at the following link:

http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/PS3FC7Install

After following the directions for updating the kernel (edit the yaboot.conf etc.) and restarting the system the kboot prompt comes up and after a brief wait "/boot/vmlinux-2.6.23: not found" pops up. The process of kboot popping up and error being displayed continues until the system is turned off or rebooted.

I've navigated to /mnt/root at the kboot prompt and I see vmlinux-2.6.23 in that directory along with vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7. Can anyone help me out? I think it's looking in the wrong place for the kernel but I'm not sure how to point it at the directory.

Thanks in advance

[UPDATE] Interesting development. I hit tab at the kboot prompt for no reason at all and "linux_21" popped up. Out of curiosity I hit enter and the system appeared to be booting normally. Resolution changed to 720p but the initialization halted with an error "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init" before the system froze up.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

It's looking for /boot/vmlinux-2.6.23 but you only have /vmlinux-2.6.23.

As for the second error, it's most likely not finding your root filesystem (make sure you have "root=/dev/psda1" or whatever on your command line).
Toadzter17

Post by Toadzter17 »

Thanks for the reply

I've searched for a /boot directory but as of yet can't find one. /dev/ps3da1 is mounted on the /mnt/root directory by default and contains vmlinux-2.6.23. Any suggestions?

[UPDATE] I can navigate to root using 'cd /' at the kboot prompt but when I execute vmlinux-2.6.23 from there the screen goes black.
Toadzter17

Post by Toadzter17 »

Problem solved.

Downloaded petiboot. Now I have a GUI boot loader. Sweet.

http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/petitboot/

Thanks for the help
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

I had the exact same problem. Installing and such went fine, but then after I had installed the 2.6.23 kernel and added those as options in the yaboot.conf file according to the same instructions, I got this same problem. There must be some typo or configuration incompatibility. Unfortunately, I'm too much of a Linux n00b to tell, and petitboot although it discovered my installations fine, could not start them.

I'll have to be more careful next time. Apparently there's a newer kernel for ps3 out there already now anyway. ;) (looking at you, panajev! ;)).

God I wish I wasn't such a n00b. And here I was feeling all proud I still remembered mkdir and such from my student days. :D

By the way, I'm thinking that maybe we both made a mistake when installing the Cell SDK, in Fedora there's an additional option for a kernel upgrade that we shouldn't have selected I think, and maybe it's selected by default? I forgot to check this when installing, will make sure I'll check again next time. ;)