Budcat is hiring

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

mrbrown
Site Admin

Budcat is hiring

Post by mrbrown »

The game company I work for, Budcat Creations is hiring. They are looking for experienced programmers and senior-level programmers.

If we've worked together in ps2dev send me your resume and I'll forward it to our recruiter and put in a good word.
soks

Post by soks »

*cries*

Bit too early for me.
mharris

Post by mharris »

* winces *

Bit too late for me.

Alas, the game industry is for the young, not for geezers like me w/ wife, kids, and a mortgage...
evilo

Post by evilo »

iiirrkkkk

too early on ps2 dev'ing...
too far... las vegas !
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Wimps...

*goes to write resume*
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

mharris wrote:* winces *

Bit too late for me.

Alas, the game industry is for the young, not for geezers like me w/ wife, kids, and a mortgage...
Don't know how old you are, but the guy in the cube next to me is at least in his forties (I think). He worked at Westwood before they were bought out by you-know-who. The odd thing about Budcat is that 8 out of the 12 employees (including myself) have wife, kids, and except for me, a mortgage. Budcat is an extremely stable company (all we do right now are ports) and is not like the "game company atmosphere" - bunch of young punks who are eager to leave or split, managers running company into the ground - you typically read about. There are some very competent folks here.
"He was warned..."
mharris

Post by mharris »

Heh, no offense meant, BTW. Sounds like a decent place to work, not like the horror stories we've been hearing about from other EA shops ;-) But it's on the wrong side of the continent for me.

I work for a dot-com (where most people are still in their twenties), so I'm used to being on the butt end of all the "old man" jokes; the gaming industry (in general) is even worse -- nice to hear of someplace that's different.

FYI, I just turned 41 this week (happy birthday to me), and I've been programming since about 1979, which really seems like a hell of a long time when you look at it that way...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Happy belated birthday! I turned 39 back in Aug. Three years ago, I'd have jumped at an offer like that. Right now I take care of my grandfather and do computer related stuff out of my home so I'm around when he needs help. At 90, he's too old to be alone and our family has made it a policy to not put our elderly in rest homes.

It's not that bad - even if he's 90, he doesn't need that much help and it leaves me with time for playing around on the computer. My two favorite "hobbies" right now are PS2 development and AROS. One thing I've been looking at is AROS on the PS2. That would be cool. :)
DiGiTaLeX

Post by DiGiTaLeX »

"40 is not an age, its an attitude"...

...You're all old :P
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

...and you have a childish attitude.
jum

Post by jum »

Sounds like a job an experienced old-timer like me (36) would enjoy!

Unfortunately I'm stuck on the Southern tip of Africa... :{

- jum
8 bits is all you'll ever need...
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

What is the job market like for game developers? I currently do embedded software design, but nothing graphical (or even over 16bit). I think that doing game development would be much more interesting and challenging than the design work that I do now. I have an EE degree so my degree is not computer science. Is it still in a close enough field to help my chances of finding a job in that area? I've worked with C and assembly programming regularly, but other gfx languages are new to me. I would like to do gfx programming for the ps2 eventually, but right now I'm just learning the hardware that I'll be working with. Also what is the average salary range for game developers? Guess I just need to know if it would be worthwhile to pursue a position similar. Thanks.

Kotti
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Socrates
mharris

Post by mharris »

A good resource for anyone interested in the industry (in North America, anyway) would be Game Developer Magazine They have an annual salary review in the mag, and they have a more comprehensive one from their site (don't think it's free though).