Homogenous headers for ps2sdk ?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

pixel

Homogenous headers for ps2sdk ?

Post by pixel »

Well, I am not willing to enforce or push that too far. That's just an idea. What about putting a single "anonymous" banner on all the source files of the ps2sdk, and only keep names into the "AUTHOR" file ? Like, having:

Code: Select all

/*
  _____     ___ ____
   ____|   |    ____|   PSX2 OpenSource Project
  |     ___|   |____    (C)2001-2004, ps2dev - http://www.ps2dev.org
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  filename              Little description
  $Id$
*/
or

Code: Select all

/*
# _____     ___ ____     ___ ____
#  ____|   |    ____|   |        | |____|
# |     ___|   |____ ___|    ____| |    \    PS2DEV Open Source Project.
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Copyright 2001-2004, ps2dev - http://www.ps2dev.org
# Licenced under Academic Free License version 2.0
# Review ps2sdk README & LICENSE files for further details.
#
# $Id$
# Description
*/
as generic header for about any source file.

Well, if some people are completely against that, just tell it. Otherwise, I might spam you one day or another with a large cvs commit :p
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Spam away. Sounds good to me.
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

The second one with the license information. There is a file called ID at the root of PS2SDK with just this header. Feel free to Spam away.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Done :p
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
chp

Post by chp »

EEP! *drowning in spam* ... the pain, the pain! ;)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Pixel, in the future if you're going to make cosmetic changes like this - do not remove the original author's copyright notice without asking them first. I just had to restore my copyright notice in a few dozen files. I do not want my copyright notices tampered with in any ps2dev projects that I have or will contribute to - ever.
"He was warned..."
pixel

Post by pixel »

That's exactly what this thread was for, since I ask people's opinion and feelings in the first post... And I believe that anyone concerned were able to look at this topic.

And don't tell me you missed it, since you were posting other stuff on the forum meanwhile.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

What you posted in the orignal thread does not mention that you would remove people's copyrights. Had I known you were going to do that, then of course I would've spoken up. It looked like you were going to add the generic banner to any files without any copyright or license information, which IMO is acceptable. In any case, I've made my point, which is indisputable - do not touch the copyright banners in source files without explicit permission from the author.
"He was warned..."
pixel

Re: Homogenous headers for ps2sdk ?

Post by pixel »

pixel wrote:What about putting a single "anonymous" banner on all the source files of the ps2sdk, and only keep names into the "AUTHOR" file ?
Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.