How to make a legit version of HDLOADER

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

zaphod

How to make a legit version of HDLOADER

Post by zaphod »

There are 2 possible approaches

1) only let the game run X times before requiring reauthentication of the disc. This is less convenient, but will work. X can be anywhere from 1 to say 5.

2) read the disc ID when you install a game, and store it on a master server, tied to your console ID! Then when you run the game check the master server, and make sure your console ID is currently assigned to the game! If not then you must re-authenticate. This would solve the blockbuster problem, the loan to a friend problem, etc. At most any copy coudl be installed onto ONE playstation 2 at a time. Of course it would have to check the ID two or three times, to make sure it's finding a legit ID instead of a mod chip or backup. Without a legit disc ID, it wouldn't install. If the master server is not available, fall back to method 1, so people can still play a few times before reauthenticating.

Remember, if you've got the HD, you've got the adaptor, so they can require an internet connection. and code to read the disc ID exists already outside of SOny.

This DNAS enabled hdloader would not inconvenience legit users in any way. They coudl just install and play. Also, by DNAS enabling the hdloader, said games could be played online as well. Of ocurse the installation would have to add an integrity check to prevent tampering with the installed game.
pixel

Post by pixel »

I don't think we really want to discuss about that. For several reasons:

We do not want to build a "hdloader" thingy here. What would be the point anyway ?

Pressing yet another unofficial CD with pirated TOC in order to boot it on the console ? And whatever checks you could put in it, somebody would crack it one day or another. Anyway, I don't think anybody here would want to start pressing and selling CDs.

Or would it be homebrew, open-source software ? Quite nonsense, since anybody could recompile it with a some changes, and remove the checks.

So, I think this thread is quite pointless. I won't close it though, just to see what's happening there.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

i was simply making the point that it could have been done right.

And with such stringent checks, it wouldn't need to have a pirated TOC< and could actually get liscensed. They KNEW it coudl be used for piracy, so they HAD to get the pirated TOC, instead of making an oficial, DNAS enabled one that SOny could approve of.

The fact that it could have been done right proves that the vccurrent makers are at fault. and THAT was my point. Of course you don't need a HDLOADER to load homebrew stuff. Linux can do that. And soon, someone will write a program that will access the HD without needing to pirate DMS HDD Explorer.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Ah, then, I do agree completely.

Well, I think mrbrown already said something about it somewhere: FFXI does a check of the original DVD each time it is booted from HDD, so HDLoader could have done the same.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

yeah, that would be approach 1 with x equal to zero. but then you'd have to swap before EVERY boot, and THAT would get annoying fast. What I suggested was a workable compromise. As long as a central server can keep adequate track of which console each disc ID is installed on, there's no need for checking the disc.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Well, with a true official software, approved by sony, they could then even do a true hd software. That is, hdloader could have been installed into the harddrive, and directly run from there, without any swap.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

What I just suggest is to that we follow the rules and don't talk about things we don't talk about here.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development