Quake for ps2

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

nicp067

Quake for ps2

Post by nicp067 »

Hi, I just tried to upload to ps2dev.org the first draft of my quake 1 port for the ps2. I was not able to upload the file for some reason (maybe the script dont like Mac OS X + firefox), anyway can I mail it to someone who can upload it to ps2dev.org.

About the port. I only support the video output module yet, no sound, no control and no network. Quake look for id1 directory in host: and is not able to read file from .pak it seem so you have to uncompress it before (maybe its just me so try first). I also have to find a way to load it from hdd or cdrom since network transfer is really slow. Next on my todo list is also to optimise quake math function to run on the vu and port the software drawing engine to use harware accel, right now its running in software at about 10fps, not bad at all. All ps2 code is based on Dreamtime Tutorial.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

10fps? Not bad...
nicp067

Post by nicp067 »

well not bad since nothing have bine optimized yet. I was expecting alot worse.

after building it with compiler optimisation and not in debug i got better result, its near full speed and playable.
ole

Post by ole »

Well, good to know that people are using the ps2dev tools for some interesting things. To add my bit I made scummvm-ps2 port using ps2sdk and just tutorials from ps2dev. (it was my first project when I tried the ps2 deving about year ago).
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

ole wrote:Well, good to know that people are using the ps2dev tools for some interesting things. To add my bit I made scummvm-ps2 port using ps2sdk and just tutorials from ps2dev. (it was my first project when I tried the ps2 deving about year ago).
Is it complete and working? Where can we check it out? ;)

Btw... it would have been ps2lib if it was a year ago... ps2sdk has only been around for a couple months at most.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
nicp067

Post by nicp067 »

Why I cant upload file to the ps2dev.org site? I need somewhere to host my quake1 patch, its not really usefull if im the only one who have it.
ole

Post by ole »

Is it complete and working? Where can we check it out? ;)
I think it's complete (from technical point of view) and works. Yes it was developped with the ps2lib so code is quite old and I don't update it anymore (I've sent the sources to it's dev team). You can check it out here:
http://www.volny.cz/molej/ps2/index.htm