(split) Confusion over dumping the PSP BIOS

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

to nem: well theres always file sharing programs, you can always dump your stuff there, its perfectly legal since you are not the one who is sending it, for people are downloading it off you(if its not already there). or someone else. (kazaa limewire, mirc). ;) but yeah i can see why you are dont want to send files around, where your ass is in line.
Last edited by Thanhda on Sun May 08, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
cyod

Post by cyod »

I think that part of his point is tha the has his own moral qualms about releasing a firmware dumb, outside of the possible legal ramifications of releasing a dump, even over a sharing program sience you cracked it and sent it to at least one person....
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

well in a sense wouldnt it be legal? because its just a downgrade from 1.5 to 1.0, there is available 1.5 upgrade, doesnt make it illegal. unless this bios can be use for other purposes such as emulators.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Thanhda wrote:well in a sense wouldnt it be legal? because its just a downgrade from 1.5 to 1.0, there is available 1.5 upgrade, doesnt make it illegal. unless this bios can be use for other purposes such as emulators.
He said no, so please just drop it and move on to something productive.
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

Thanhda wrote:well in a sense wouldnt it be legal? because its just a downgrade from 1.5 to 1.0, there is available 1.5 upgrade, doesnt make it illegal. unless this bios can be use for other purposes such as emulators.
If Sony wanted people to have those files they would not make it such a hassle to get them. A bios is illegal no matter what its being used for. Especially since the American PSP was NOT suppose to have Version 1.00 firmware.

nem is smart not to release it. Plus I dont think you can request for him to release it over this forum considering this forum does not support illegal warez download.
PSP_killer

Post by PSP_killer »

he gave us hints on how to do it. so let's take those hints and add more to them and build a program that does that for us.
Herman

Post by Herman »

Hey I didn't want the firmware, I just wanted a list of the files and directories. I'm sure there isn't anything illegal about that.
ale275

Post by ale275 »

stupid question but if we dump 1.5file form bios and than we work on the 1.5 update will we find something interestin?? or is totally different?

sorry for stupid question

nem can u take a photo of the psp board with bios desoldered??
Energy

Post by Energy »

ale275 wrote:stupid question but if we dump 1.5file form bios and than we work on the 1.5 update will we find something interestin?? or is totally different?

sorry for stupid question

nem can u take a photo of the psp board with bios desoldered??
That's the point and where the moral issue is. We may find many an interesting thing in the BIOS, including possible info on encryption, and other wonderful things. However it is illegal to release it. (Thanhda> of course it's illegal to release it on file sharing programs! You have to upload it of your computer to get it on their for a start! Because Sony has not released it under liscence it'll be illegal, no matter what you do).

It'd be great if someone could code to dump your own, in my belief that is not illegal. If nem reckons that all the keys are on this forum then people who want a challenge should start scowering the boards.

I don't see what's wrong with releasing a file and directory structure, tho not sure if there'll be much to see. I just think it's amazing what you guys have achieved so far, in all aspects.
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> We may find many an interesting thing in the BIOS, including possible info on encryption, and other wonderful things. However it is illegal to release it.
>... Because Sony has not released it under liscence it'll be illegal...

"illegal" ??
Reverse engineering in a legal way is never that "black-and-white"

----
This is a technical BBS, with people from all over the world. If you want to talk about the legal issues in reverse engineering, it is a very involved topic.

For USA applicable laws, here's one section that everyone should read and understand (IMHO):
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/DVD/1201.html
Especially section "(f) Reverse Engineering"

There is much commentary about ramifications of the DMCA (search the Internet). Other countries have similar laws. Other countries have few laws. Nothing is black-and-white.

My advice (IANAL): Don't posting verbatim copies of someone else's copyrighted material (unless short trivial thinks like file names). Posting information you have learned yourself is fine (if obtained legally, and done for interoperability, not cracking copy protection)
qleyo

Post by qleyo »

ok... so for every app with a GUI, we would need a PSP API... can we start working on one, all together? that way we can all use it... just a thought, might sound stupid. But i'm trying to fathom how long it would take to create one from scratch...well apart from Nems already existing functions.

And a good programmer includes comments, guys make it a habit, i've noticed so much source without comments and thats why a newbie like me gets lost even further :-(

I dont know ...just a thought, and now that this has been done, is it actually possible to get software running on v1.0 or are we still miles away (like a stand alone browser :-) ) what exactly is possible now?...because that way, people with v1.5 know the only obstacle is finding a way for it to work on 1.5.

feel free to inform me if i'm not making anysense
Last edited by qleyo on Mon May 09, 2005 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
annerajb

Post by annerajb »

to:nem why dont you make a document how you read the firmware some pics would be nice. to:everybody why dont you do a more smart move and everyone of you instead of asking for firmware start learning c++ and start thinking of buildin a app to dum the firmware of the psp that would be nice and its legal.
qleyo

Post by qleyo »

annerajb wrote: and everyone of you instead of asking for firmware start learning c++ and start thinking of buildin a app to dum the firmware of the psp that would be nice and its legal.
don't necessarily need c++ to achieve this
annerajb

Post by annerajb »

i know it can be c or other development languaje
peanut

Post by peanut »

has a v1.5 been dumped yet? just out of interest
annerajb

Post by annerajb »

not that i know nem if you could tell us if you have dumped 1.5
qleyo

Post by qleyo »

peanut wrote:has a v1.5 been dumped yet? just out of interest
not that I know of....
th0mas

Post by th0mas »

to get a dump of a v1.0 someone needs to write a program that uses the sceio functions and dumps the kernel (which will be in memory) to the file. I don't see this program will be considered illegal if distributed in source or binary form (any objections?).

edit: just been reading the rest of the new info and from nem, the firmware is an accessible fat12 filesystem so try using the sceio functions to open the firmware files and then copy them to the memstick?

to get a dump of a v1.5 we'll need to do it via physical means (until some way of running code exists). I'd love to see what nem did, but that's his call on whether or not he wants to distribute that information either.

Then again, I don't have a PSP so I'm more a peanut gallery than anything else :)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

You guys still don't get it:
- The information to physically dump the bios of any PSP are contained in these forums, as nem has said already. He doesn't need to provide any other info.
- nem already stated that he's given all the information he can about it, he's even provided a method for people to dump the 1.0 BIOS, but you can't stop pestering him.

Splitting into the Hall of Shame.