AVItoPMP (1.2.0): advanced tool for pmp video

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

crassvs

Post by crassvs »

So which methode yields the best quality? I don't care for encoding times at all, so is const bitrate the better choice then?

Also I don't understand why there are 2 passes for const bitrate and just 1 pass for const quality. As far as I know from my video encoding experience multiple passes are done to determine how the bitrate has to be changed according to the complexity of the scene to keep the quality at a constant level. So there should be no need for a second pass in const. bitrate mode, as the bitrate is not changed at all. Multiple passes would make sense in const. quality mode, as the bitrate is changing there.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

crassvs wrote:So which methode yields the best quality? I don't care for encoding times at all, so is const bitrate the better choice then?

Also I don't understand why there are 2 passes for const bitrate and just 1 pass for const quality. As far as I know from my video encoding experience multiple passes are done to determine how the bitrate has to be changed according to the complexity of the scene to keep the quality at a constant level. So there should be no need for a second pass in const. bitrate mode, as the bitrate is not changed at all. Multiple passes would make sense in const. quality mode, as the bitrate is changing there.
I think for you const. bitrate will be better. About 2passes you can read here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/me ... peg4-2pass
So to say, in 2passes mode it's not really a CBR, it's something about a mix :)
With a two pass encode, the first pass will rip the movie as though it were CBR, but it will keep a log of properties for each frame. This data is then used during the second pass in order to make intelligent decisions about which quantizers to use. During fast action or high detail scenes, higher quantizers will likely be used, and during slow moving or low detail scenes, lower quantizers will be used. Normally, the amount of motion is much more important than the amount of detail.

If you use vqscale=2, then you are wasting bits. If you use vqscale=3, then you are not getting the highest quality rip. Suppose you rip a DVD at vqscale=3, and the result is 1800Kbit. If you do a two pass encode with vbitrate=1800, the resulting video will have higher quality for the same bitrate.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

New version 1.1.0:
- New window "Crop menu" added
- Automatic recognition of black bars (borders) and cropping them ("Autocrop blackbars" in Crop menu)
- Function converting symbols from win to dos fully rewritten, now it should work on all languages and systems
- DVD recognition rewritten, now it works without running .bat file, all work is done inside a programm
- Subtitles are now opened automatically if a file with same name and subtitle extension is found
- You can just press "Run encoding" without adding to queue if only one video file should be encoding
- some small fixes
Last edited by uNn99 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cobra951

Post by Cobra951 »

I registered on the forums just so I could thank you for this great program. I can handle encoding PMPs the hard way, with a multitude of audio, video and muxing steps; but I have neither the time nor the inclination. I've been wanting a single tool to accomplish the same with good results, and here it is! The results I get are terrific, unlike other one-step programs. Thanks for the great work.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

i concur, the new version is awesome, fantastic work uNn!
I wouldn't even think of trying an alternative.
See you!

Alcahest
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

Cobra951 and Alcahest - thanks :)
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

New version 1.2.0:
- x264 AVC fast mode: can increase speed up to 4x at the cost of quality
- Autocrop black bars now analyze not the beginning, but the middle of the video (to avoid analyzing the title)
- Crop menu has a progress bar indicating the process of analyzing black bars
- An ability to change number of frames that should be analyzed for black bars
- New XviD mode: "cartoon" (activate this if your encoded sequence is an anime/cartoon. It modifies some XviD internal thresholds
so XviD takes better decisions on frame types and motion vectors for flat looking cartoons)
- In x264 AVC mode "subq" (subpel refinement quality) is editable on the main form
- Preview time bug is fixed
- Some crop bugs are fixed
Last edited by uNn99 on Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
psp

Post by psp »

THANKS!!

A little problem though.
get a incompatible avc file, from pmp mod avc:

Error:
"avc_get: scrMpegAvcDecode failed"
Press x

encoding properties used:
Const. Quality, Use Sharp, fast mode, Quantizer: 24, SUBQ: 1
Mencoder, ABR Audio Mode, 112
UD1121

Post by UD1121 »

Hi, Can I get the link for mencoder-x264patched-k7? The old link doesn't work anymore. THANKS
skitzzza

Post by skitzzza »

psp wrote:THANKS!!

A little problem though.

Error:
Press x

I'm having the exact same problem. Any ideas as to why?
skitzzza

Post by skitzzza »

skitzzza wrote:
psp wrote:THANKS!!

A little problem though.

Error:
Press x

I'm having the exact same problem. Any ideas as to why?
Okay I found out why. If fast mode is turned off then the file will play fine. So what is it about the new fast mode that is making the file unable to play?
ColinZeal

(Feature request)

Post by ColinZeal »

Ok, thanks to this program i´m selling my XBOX which was preferred machine for watching downloaded tv-series.. I don´t need it anymore as I only use my PSP to watch AVC-files (at work too).

But I miss a feature, to select multiple files convert with the same settings.

It´s pretty tedious to select a season of episodes to convert.

Anyways, great program. Love it.

edit:
btw, I wouldn´t mind too much if you get the ripping dvds with subtitles working asap.
;)
iElectric

Post by iElectric »

First of all, thanks for the great work on this program!

I have a little feature req. If it could be possible to have permanent save location for all movies i convert.

I can't convert one movie so far. I get the msg "something went wrong..." The file is Xvid, tell me what info you want and i will paste it here.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

iElectric wrote:First of all, thanks for the great work on this program!

I have a little feature req. If it could be possible to have permanent save location for all movies i convert.

I can't convert one movie so far. I get the msg "something went wrong..." The file is Xvid, tell me what info you want and i will paste it here.
It's already there - click advanced -> Default output directory.
About your video - i think there's a problem with audio conversion, maybe it has mono sound. Then try to use BeSweet.
ColinZeal

Post by ColinZeal »

Do the subs have to be in .srt?
I´ve tried to encode with .sub and the .idx file that comes with .sub
iElectric

Post by iElectric »

Uh, i am sorry. I missed that one.

The thing is, the video doesn't have any audio. Maybe that's why.
Totti 88

Post by Totti 88 »

Great , great, great work uNn99, this is the best program available.
I use the x264 AVC codec, what bitrate is the best compromise between quality and file's size?

Please can you add optimizations for ht and dual core cpus, thanks.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

dude what's wrong with last version?I seem to be getting blank videos every 1 to 3/4 encodes.Meaning that every 4 encodes there's almost always a file between that doesn't seem to be able to play.

Meaning that when i select it after the loading warning disappears,hangs with a BSOD.
Fxp

Post by Fxp »

I'm using latest AVI2PMP to decode some anime files in mkv format (video + audio + subs) to PMP. Mencoder keeps crashing on various stages of video decoding, I've used "-sid 0" setting as recommended before but no luck. What might be the problem?

Update:

After some testing I realised the mencoder crashes if subs are in ASS format. No problems with UTF8/srt subs.
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

uNn99:

Any chance of posting the changes you made (a diff file would be great) to mencoder to get it to make pmp compliant avc files? Or you could point me to somewhere else that describes the steps. I'm happy to edit the source directly, once I know what to do. :)

I use linux and would like to compile mencoder so that I can encode avi files directly. (I currently have to use a messy mplayer / x264 frameserving method).

AviToPmp looks like a top notch piece of kit for windows users. Well done. :)
DFTrance

Post by DFTrance »

Hi all and especially uNn99, congrats for this software. Simple to use and extremly effectice.

Is there a way to simply configure/start AVI2PMP throught command line. the reason I ask is becouse I would like to automatically convert multiple files. This multiple files are generated by my Microsoft Media Center and are TV recordings.

Consedering that AVI2PMP integrates mediainfo, autocrop and converstion setup kind of functionality intro a single workflow I would like to reuse this. I know I can generate my own encoding.bat but since AVI2PMP already does this for us I would like to reuse it in my own workflow.

Example:

* Copy Media Center recordings to C:\TVShows
* Rename dvr-ms to extensions to mpg
* start AVI2PMP and enconde. Example avi2pmp -i c:\TVShows\xx.avi -o c:\PSP TVShows\xx.pmp -screenmode widescreen -codec AVC -useturbo -usemediainfo etc etc.
* copyfiles to PSP synch directory.

This could be parameterized as the example show or simply allow the use of a config file to setup AVI2PMP settings. Example:

avi2pmo -i c:\TVShows\xx.avi -o c:\PSP TVShows\xx.pmp -config myconfig.conf

Where myconfig would hold the rest of configurations.

Another option would be to simply generate the encoding.bat instead of running the batch after it is generated. This would allow me to run it throught my program. What fo you think?

Job well done, what a developer you are

Trance
PS: I know very little about encondings and codecs, that is why I believe AVI2PMP is simply the best of the show.
sarugetyou

Post by sarugetyou »

hello all,
first of all, i'd like to say this is a great program.
however i need some serious help.
i've been trying to make subtitle work (it's in *.smi format) for 7 hours now and i still can't get it to work.
i'm korean so the sub file is in korean.
first, i just encoded it without changing codepage and stuff and when i played the file, there was subtitle but it's all broken and unreadable.
then i found out i had to put subfont.ttf files and also have to change codepage(cp****) to korean.
the problem is that i can't find subfont.ttf that supports korean... where can i get one?
also i can't find the codepage for korean... what is it? cp1364??
please help me

NEVER MIND~~~~ I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT -.-;
sarugetyou

Post by sarugetyou »

i have one suggestion tho.
can you make support for .smi files?
so i don't have to convert .smi to .srt?
all my subtitle files are in .smi format.
pmpaddict

Post by pmpaddict »

Hi everyone,

I used pmptoavi several time but I must have deleted it by mistake.

Trying to reinstall it, more precisely downloadind it and running it, I obtain the message "the application couldn't be loaded because apps/MediaInfo/MediaInfo.dll can't be found.."

I've tried a lot of things like google for it but without any result :/

Could you help me me resolve this problem please.?

Thank you
p5p

convert pmp to mp4

Post by p5p »

Hi, seeing the upcoming 3.03oe-b, i want to ask whether you can convert a demuxed pmp into a *.mp4 (container) and how?

thanks!
Alucard77

Post by Alucard77 »

Hey Guys,

I just have a couple of quick questions about this app, and any help would greatly be appreciated.

1) Is there a way to change the resolution on this app without having to change the aspect ratio?

I currently encode with VDub Mod and don't care if a movie is slightly distorted. So I would like to take a file that is 600x282 for instance and change it to 480x282. Everyone looking fatter doesn't really bother me. The blackline bothers me more.

2) The sharpen feature. How much does that sharpen the picture? Is this like in VDub where you can change the level of sharpen or is this defaulted.

Thanks!
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

uNn99,

Any chance we could get a quick update of your great app to allow for MP4 AVC output for 3.03 OE-B? Many thanks for your app, it's been a lifesaver.
pmpaddict

Post by pmpaddict »

pmpaddict wrote:Hi everyone,

I used pmptoavi several time but I must have deleted it by mistake.

Trying to reinstall it, more precisely downloadind it and running it, I obtain the message "the application couldn't be loaded because apps/MediaInfo/MediaInfo.dll can't be found.."

I've tried a lot of things like google for it but without any result :/

Could you help me me resolve this problem please.?

Thank you
Ok I finally found why it was not working.

I was using the avitopmp.exe file instead of taking the .rar package.

Now it is ok, for those who are experiencing the same problem and can't download rapidshared archive that is included in the first page of this topic (it have been deleted) just go there:

http://lagoff.net/download/
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

I'm extremly busy this week, so an update will be not earlier than in a week...
csuper

Post by csuper »

That's cool for me ;)

No hurry ! :)

Ciao