Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:again cool!

and the audio :P
Yes, audio too. Once I have that working, I plan to add more support for the audio. B2 only supports Sound Manager 3, which was fairly recent for the 68K stuff. I can work in support for the older sound code, having done all that back on the Amiga ages ago.

Basically, it's a matter of knowing what resource segments the system loads for the older sound, and how to patch them to make use of some generic sound code. If you do it right, you can support every version of the system sound libs, and one version of direct sound.

There were a number of different programs we ran to test the audio - Arashi, PacMan, and Maelstrom being the three primary ones.
Wally

Post by Wally »

If you need any testers, sign me up ! :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Not yet... I dusted off the project folder last night. I need to finish key repeats for pikey, then I'll probably try to put some more time in on B2. When I have something working, I'll post a link here so folks can try it.
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

awesome cant wait :)
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
threnthe

Post by threnthe »

Wally4000 wrote:ah cool!

One thing that i'd REALLY like to see eventually, is sound support and maybe proper color at a decent framerate.

I have a heap of games that use the mouse, and most are fun! (Crystal Crazy being one)
Did you actually get anything like Crystal Crazy or any other games beside Oregon Trail to work? I tried Exile 3: Ruined World and kept getting a "You need 8-bit color quickdraw" error.
eheu! tuus ancilla est flamma!
Wally

Post by Wally »

threnthe wrote:

One thing that i'd REALLY like to see eventually, is sound support and maybe proper color at a decent framerate.

I have a heap of games that use the mouse, and most are fun! (Crystal Crazy being one)
Did you actually get anything like Crystal Crazy or any other games beside Oregon Trail to work? I tried Exile 3: Ruined World and kept getting a "You
need 8-bit color quickdraw" error.
Sorry about the late reply.
you just install quickdraw, should work fine after that. well on the PC version that is :)

how are you going J.F :P
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
threnthe wrote:

Did you actually get anything like Crystal Crazy or any other games beside Oregon Trail to work? I tried Exile 3: Ruined World and kept getting a "You
need 8-bit color quickdraw" error.
you just install quickdraw, should work fine after that. well on the PC version that is :)

how are you going J.F :P
Been working on anything but this recently. :D I'll get back on it here sometime this next month.
Wally

Post by Wally »

excuses excuses :P
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

Sorry, OT. Does anyone how I can use my old (160mb big) SCSI HDD, I'm on 2K (on the comp. with a ISA SCSI card) now, is there any tools?

Best regards!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

digihoe wrote:Sorry, OT. Does anyone how I can use my old (160mb big) SCSI HDD, I'm on 2K (on the comp. with a ISA SCSI card) now, is there any tools?

Best regards!
They make various adapters so you can use old SCSI drives with new computers. Google for "usb scsi adapter". I found several that way. Note, like anything SCSI related, they're gonna run around $100 or more.
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

I was more meaning software terms, I can connect the HDD, but since it's non fat format I cannot read it. Is there a tool that works under win2k that can read/copy the disk?

Thanks and best regards!
J.F. wrote:
digihoe wrote:Sorry, OT. Does anyone how I can use my old (160mb big) SCSI HDD, I'm on 2K (on the comp. with a ISA SCSI card) now, is there any tools?

Best regards!
They make various adapters so you can use old SCSI drives with new computers. Google for "usb scsi adapter". I found several that way. Note, like anything SCSI related, they're gonna run around $100 or more.
Wally

Post by Wally »

you could try using a mac emulator to mount it, if its got mac data on it!

Mac Stuff:
Dont even attempt to mount your SCSI drive to windows, unless of course you want to scramble everything rendering your data useless. The incompatibility of Mac / Windows has eased off a bit these days. I'd reckon its a HFS formatted drive. Im pretty sure basilisk 2 will mount it.

Anyway give Basilisk 2 a whirl, you might need to set the mount point in the preferences on the emulator.

I'd be interested in the results.

Wally

P.S if its got Windows Stuff on the drive, Windows should try and mount it by itself.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Linux can also mount HFS partitions and devices.
threnthe

Post by threnthe »

threnthe wrote:

Did you actually get anything like Crystal Crazy or any other games beside Oregon Trail to work? I tried Exile 3: Ruined World and kept getting a "You need 8-bit color quickdraw" error.
To tell you the truth, I wasn't really expecting one that soon... but now that a pluthera of others (well actually three in total) have posted I was surprized and pleased.

Now on topic: I got the PC version of BII up and running and tried the same game (Exile 3) and got the same error. So I tried your suggestion. The only problem is that I'm a little mac dumb and don't understand how to install quickdraw. I Googled it a few times and found that it is already supposed to be included with system 7? If so, what do I have to do to initialize it?

EDIT: I did get Crystal Crazy to work on the PC version without installing QuickDraw.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

threnthe wrote:
threnthe wrote:

To tell you the truth, I wasn't really expecting one that soon... but now that a pluthera of others (well actually three in total) have posted I was surprized and pleased.

Now on topic: I got the PC version of BII up and running and tried the same game (Exile 3) and got the same error. So I tried your suggestion. The only problem is that I'm a little mac dumb and don't understand how to install quickdraw. I Googled it a few times and found that it is already supposed to be included with system 7? If so, what do I have to do to initialize it?

EDIT: I did get Crystal Crazy to work on the PC version without installing QuickDraw.
Yes, QuickDraw is part of the OS. To update QD, you have to update the OS. Maybe it requires a newer version of the OS than you're using.

I think he was thinking QuickTime, not QuickDraw. QuickTime is separate from the rest of the OS and can be updated independently. However, very few games depend on QT - at least games as old as that one don't.
threnthe

Post by threnthe »

J.F. wrote:ah cool!

Yes, QuickDraw is part of the OS. To update QD, you have to update the OS. Maybe it requires a newer version of the OS than you're using.

I think he was thinking QuickTime, not QuickDraw. QuickTime is separate from the rest of the OS and can be updated independently. However, very few games depend on QT - at least games as old as that one don't.
I have 7.5.3 on it now. I'll try 7.5.5, I hope it doesn't have to go to 8; but I'll post what happens. Thanks for the quick reply.
threnthe

Post by threnthe »

UPDATE: Nope. Didn't work. I got the same error. Looks like I'm going to have to try OS 8.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Have a gander here http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html

Quickdraw is installed separately.

Have fun!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:Have a gander here http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html

Have fun!
No, it isn't. QuickDraw has NEVER been installed separately. You're confusing QuickDrawGX, which is printer software, or QuickDraw 3D, which was a plugin for 3D on early PPC machines, for QuickDraw. That's partly Apple's fault for not making the distinctions clear. Crystal Crazy did not use either of those, or QuickTime for that matter. I suspect the problem is with the sound support. B2 only support the latest SoundManager, while CC was written to run on OS 7.0. Some games simply won't work with the new SoundManager, which was why Mac68K/FUSION had support for one kind of direct sound, the OLD sound driver, the old SoundManager, and the new SoundManager.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:Have a gander here http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html

Have fun!
No, it isn't. QuickDraw has NEVER been installed separately. You're confusing QuickDrawGX, which is printer software, or QuickDraw 3D, which was a plugin for 3D on early PPC machines, for QuickDraw. That's partly Apple's fault for not making the distinctions clear. Crystal Crazy did not use either of those, or QuickTime for that matter. I suspect the problem is with the sound support. B2 only support the latest SoundManager, while CC was written to run on OS 7.0. Some games simply won't work with the new SoundManager, which was why Mac68K/FUSION had support for one kind of direct sound, the OLD sound driver, the old SoundManager, and the new SoundManager.
ohh ok :P

Im gunna have a whirl at basilisk 2.. See if I cant get SDL_Audio working :P
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote: Im gunna have a whirl at basilisk 2.. See if I cant get SDL_Audio working :P
Well, that would be better than nothing. :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

I got the SDL_Video stuff in however the bloody thing does nothing but freeze now..

I think i'll have to GDB it
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Are you trying to modify the existing B2 for PSP, or are you trying to convert the latest B2?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Modify the original to take SDL_video however it required a lot of new components etc.

:/

I just wish it would boot quicker :P
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Anyone working on this? I'd love to see it with audio and Danzeff keyboard and real colour video working someday :D
Wally

Post by Wally »

just a bump to remind J.F of this project on his little list :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:just a bump to remind J.F of this project on his little list :)
I haven't forgotten. I'm just working on PSPUAE first as I like the Amiga better than the Mac. :) I'll finish my work on B2 after the next version of PSPUAE is done. On the plus side, some of the work on PSPUAE can be applied to the update to B2.
Wally

Post by Wally »

ah, can't wait!
dbarrade

Post by dbarrade »

I'm keen on beta testing too, I used to do a lot of IT consulting for Graphics Design companies on the Mac back in the late '90s I'd love to have a PPC Mac in my pocket running Marathon :)

I was thinking the BlueBox from the Mac OS X beta recompiled for the PSP would absolutely fly, not that Apple would ever leak it, but I'm sure if there was a legit MacOS for PSPS people would buy it.

I read some things about screen size issues and was wondering if you tried any of the virtual screen extensions, there were a few that gave you a virtual screen larger than the real screen that would scroll when the mouse hit the edges.
Working on PSP Guitarismo...
Wally

Post by Wally »

dbarrade wrote:I'm keen on beta testing too, I used to do a lot of IT consulting for Graphics Design companies on the Mac back in the late '90s I'd love to have a PPC Mac in my pocket running Marathon :)
Same here, but Basilisk 2 isnt PPC. its 68k unfortunately, unless SheepShaver can be adapted to the PSP instead (the PPC emu by the Basilisk 2 crew) which i reckon is pretty damn possible but yes the whole idea of using an IR keyboard and adapting an IR mouse would be really sweet. A whole bundle of fun!
I was thinking the BlueBox from the Mac OS X beta recompiled for the PSP would absolutely fly, not that Apple would ever leak it, but I'm sure if there was a legit MacOS for PSPS people would buy it.
Interesting, BlueBox.. I had never heard of it until now, I doubt the source ever made it to the public :P but yeah Mac OS 7.5.5 down is now free to use and download from Apple. So we have no legal boundary's to pelt through.
I read some things about screen size issues and was wondering if you tried any of the virtual screen extensions, there were a few that gave you a virtual screen larger than the real screen that would scroll when the mouse hit the edges.
I remember this too, probably wouldnt matter so much as the PSP screen can fit it all into a square box and to me its pretty visible.

J.F was telling me the work on PSPUAE work with Basilisk 2 as well, so hopefully soon enough (this year :P) he'll come to life with it.