DJSP v0.14a release 8-25-2005

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

cooleyandy

DJSP v0.14a release 8-25-2005

Post by cooleyandy »

Okay, here's the most recent release of DJSP 0.14a

http://www.afung.com/djsp

Here are the features.

* LUA scripting support is now added. Loading Lua script option in the options window (press select).
- Allows easy plugin development of custom visuals, games, applications...
- Included a game (DJ Squarez), a new Visual and some sample Lua scripts to help you develop
your own plugins. You can develop Lua Plugins easily with the PSP USB options, so you
don't have to quit DJSP to edit the Lua files. Refer to the *luascript.txt* file for
more information on developing lua script plugins.

* 10 different Audio Visuals !!!! (Press Left or Right Trigger to change)
- Energy Chaos, Remixed Chaos, Aqua Space, Particle Dream, Plasma Desuka, 4x Spectras, Circlez
- Cross fading between them [per song, 1 min, 2 min, 5 min, off]

* Full 10-band equalizer support. Allows Volume to be beyond the PSP's limitation. Reduce base, increase, etc...

* Change Display mode by pressing X in visual mode.
There are 3 modes: Normal, Suppress Display, and Power Saving (no visuals and uses less power).

* 4 play modes - normal, sequential, random, repeat

* PSP USB transfer mode can be Enabled/Disabled at Options.

* Plays Mp3s (any length, could be 2GB if need be)

* Headphone Remote Support

* Fast Forward (Very fast, and definitely faster than PSP's built in mp3 player) and Restart.

* Transparent Windows, displays play time, and other little bits of stuff.

* And some other interesting stuff you'll just have to discover yourselves.

P.S. thanks *Shine*, your LuaPlayer was an inspiration for me to implement a version of Lua for DJSP also.
Last edited by cooleyandy on Tue May 09, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Good idea. :) PSP obviously has a lot of potential here! Looking good so far too.

First comment I have:

- program can't handle subfolders in the Music folder. I had no files directly under Music, and it got very confused. It tried to play the Garbage folder, but that obviously didn't work. I had to copy a mp3 into the Music folder before I could do anything (thank you file assistant)
- bass amplification results in too much crackling distortion
emumaniac

Post by emumaniac »

great release took some screenshots and mirrored the file here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/djsp.shtml

i have a v1.0 psp and about 30 seconds when the program was on it turned my PSP off, my battery was on 1 bar but it is unusual ?
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

emumaniac wrote:great release took some screenshots and mirrored the file here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/djsp.shtml

i have a v1.0 psp and about 30 seconds when the program was on it turned my PSP off, my battery was on 1 bar but it is unusual ?
Maybe the battery was low and the psp shutdown?

btw, thanks for mirroring the file.
emumaniac

Post by emumaniac »

yeah its a strange one, ill fully recharge and try again.

My pleasure to mirror the file :)
hollaz2alex

Post by hollaz2alex »

the player plays 64kbps mp3s at twice the speed, but 128kbps mp3s plays fine.
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

hollaz2alex wrote:the player plays 64kbps mp3s at twice the speed, but 128kbps mp3s plays fine.
mmmm strange, I can play 192kbps mp3 at normal speed...alright, I'll take a look into it. Thanks for the bug report
ector

Post by ector »

Probably has more to do with 22khz vs 44khz than bitrate.
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

yea, that does sound right. I think I'll probably upsample anything below 44khz.
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

Okay, here's 0.11a

Added 2 new visuals, Fast forward and restart capabilities, and a small bug fix. 22khz is still in the works :-)

http://www.andyfung.net/djsp/DJSP.rar
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

0.12a released.

- Full 10-Band Equalizer Implemented!!!
Press Triangle to bring up the equalizer window and press Square to enable/disable it.
Basically, you can increase the volume beyond the PSP's limitation and be able to alter sounds.
The First Bar is Software Volume Control, bars 1-10 emphasizes each frequency.

- (by popular Request) Change Display mode by pressing X in visual mode.
There are 3 modes: Normal, Suppress Display, and Power Saving (no visuals and uses less power).

- Play Mode change (normal,sequential,random) switched from Triangle to Square button, I needed the
Triangle for the equalizer :-)

- Display dimming suppressed (enjoy visuals more)

- In MP3 file selection window, SQUARE is now the switch mode button.

- Small bug fixes

- Now if I can find some way to mount the PSP onto my car's Dashboard...oh how sweet.

btw, is this type of posting appropriate? I'll stop updating the thread with this if it isn't wanted/needed.
Warren

Post by Warren »

cooleyandy wrote:btw, is this type of posting appropriate? I'll stop updating the thread with this if it isn't wanted/needed.
It's fine.
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

Latest update.

0.131a (8-8-2005)

- MP3s that are playing too fast now plays correctly. Upsampling of lower than 44khz MP3s.

- I've added an ***easter egg*** (bonus) feature just for fun. *hint* analog.

0.13a (8-6-2005)

- 3 new visual (Plasma Desuka, Remixed Chaos, and Aqua Space), brings to a grand total of 10 visuals!

- Option to Cross Fade between Visuals (Per Song, 1 min, 2 min, 5 min, Off)
Press Select to bring up the Options Window.

- Now searches for all MP3s in /PSP/MUSIC/ including subfolders.

- Implemented skip to Previous or Next Song. Press Left for previous and Right for Next.
Holding Left will restart song, and Holding Right will Fast Forward.

- Much much faster Fast Forward with acceleration. Holding Right Longer seeks faster and faster.

- Implemented Headphone Remote Support.

- Altered code to load essential files from installed folder/directory.
* It means that you can use any of the corrupt icon hiding programs and DJSP will still work.
* Also means all those people with mp3 window freezing problems can now run the program.

- When exiting the program, you have to press the Home Key instead of Select. I needed Select.

- Other small bug fixes. (They are more like ants this time compared to those earlier roaches)
philmcneal

Post by philmcneal »

oh man what a cool program! this is way better than using my in car stereo since a) uses less power than the cd drive in my car and b) you can have visualizations with your program! It would be sweet if the visuals were more, "Pathway" like kind of like the program milkdrop for winamp. I hope you didn't abandon this program and will continue updating it for the PSP.

I regestered on this forum just to give Andy thanks for this proggie. Oh and I hope his next version support reading .cue tracklisting files for those big mp3 that has a lot of songs in them (mostly trance songs).

Keep up the good work.

Phil
rinco

Post by rinco »

pay attention to the road, fool!
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

Don't worry, I'll keep updating it. Actually, I have a new version out.

DJSP 0.14a

* LUA scripting support is now added. Loading Lua script option in the options window (press select).
- Allows easy plugin development of custom visuals, games, applications...
- Included a game (DJ Squarez), a new Visual and some sample Lua scripts to help you develop
your own plugins. You can develop Lua Plugins easily with the PSP USB options, so you
don't have to quit DJSP to edit the Lua files. Refer to the *luascript.txt* file for
more information on developing lua script plugins.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Thanks for the email andy =)
shifty

Script and suggestion

Post by shifty »

Here is my script for a Bark band-based spectrum analyzer. The
Bark bands are groupings of frequencies that more closely match what
your ear hears than the perfect FFT analysis bins.

BTW, analyzeAudio() is very slow, but there's a faster way...since
the mp3 file stores compressed FFT data, you can simply extract the
magnitude information *directly from the decoding function* !
It will make things much faster!

bb = {}
useFlipScreen(true)
wid = {3,2, 3,2, 3,2, 3,4, 3,4, 5,5, 6,8,9,11, 14,16,19,22, 27,33,47,78, 100}

while true do
analyzeAudio()
mag = getMagnitudes()

curb = 1
for s=1,25 do
acc=0
for ab=curb,(curb+wid[s]-1) do
acc = acc + mag[curb]
curb = curb +1
end
acc = acc/wid[s]
bb[s] = acc
end

for x=1,25 do
shade = bb[x] * 31
x1 = x*20;
y1 = 272 *(1-bb[x])
drawLine(x1, 272, x1, y1, rgb16(shade / 2 + 15,shade,shade) )
drawLine(x1, y1, x1, 0, 0)
end
flipScreen()
wait(20000)

end
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

I'll take a look into using the compressed fft data. Perhaps I could get it to go faster. But this would be a more immediate fix as I plan to add more format support in the near future. Nice script btw.
PhyerFly

Continue DJSP?

Post by PhyerFly »

Hey guys, I'm fairly new here - been reading / lurking & learning for a while.

I've been using DJSP as my end-all music player since andy's last release in august, mainly because I have my PSP mounted in my car and run through my stereo.

I'd like to try and continue development on DJSP and add support for ID3 tags, cd cover artwork and possibly fix a few annoying bugs (features?) like saving settings & EQ, and the crashes after sleep mode. I really think that even with just a little "prettying" graphically that this program has a lot of potential to be as powerful and slick as the iPod interface (or at least comparable).

I've tried emailing Andy to ask if it was cool to continue development and / or get the source from him, but I haven't gotten any responses yet.

I've got a decent development background, and some limited experience using the stuff from pspsdk and creating simple eboots - but I don't have any idea if it's possible to decompile them to get any kind of meaningful source.

So, Andy - are you out there? If so, any chance of continuing development yourself or releasing the source for this awesome program?
AnonymousTipster

Post by AnonymousTipster »

If memory serves, didn't DJSP become PSPAdvance? It failed due to all the ads. I think andy left the scene after that.
PhyerFly

Post by PhyerFly »

Yeah I noticed that they were strikingly similar, but like you said - the Ad's and bloat made PSPAdvance almost completely useless. I saw that Andy release the PSP TV program recently so I was hoping I could catch him and pick his brain :)
AnonymousTipster

I overlooked that PSPTV program by andy, I thought he'd gone.

Although I've never tried DJSP, I know it was very popular, and a comeback would probably be welcome.
PhyerFly

Post by PhyerFly »

Absolutely agree, DJSP was a very well-designed mp3 player and IMO with it's simple (and intuitive) control scheme and the advent of the few little bells and whistles that the XMB mp3 player has - it could make the PSP an actual contender as a music player and not just a misguided attempt to "throw in" mp3 functionality.

I like to compare DJSP to my Pioneer Mp3 deck for my car. What makes car stereo decks attractive and useful is their look, sound quality (including output power) and importantly.......ease of use. You need to be able to perform the basic functions of stopping & playing, skipping tracks, changing music folders etc. with one hand. I can operate DJSP with one finger with my hand on the shifter in my Mazda3, and that's the way it should be.

I've got some pics of my ghetto-rigged PSP mount on my website if anyone is interested http://www.drewlawton.com/. Andy mentioned that he'd like to see DJSP running in someone's car, so I'm going to try and grab a shot of that today with my camera.
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

woah, I didn't think anyone would still have interest in DJSP after this long. Glad to hear someone still uses the old DJSP version. Personally, I've never liked PSPAdvance either. It crashes too much and there are ADs. That's the problem with selling your program to a company. You lose all rights to it. That's also the reason why I can't develop it any further. But I suppose I can always write something new from scratch or help someone else with an already finished mp3 player. Originally, I was going to write an mp3 playing plugin for the Artillery Shell, but I haven't heard from the author since since since, so no go there.
PhyerFly

Post by PhyerFly »

Gah, that sucks. I'm glad you were able to get some kickback for the program - because it's awesome, but that's sad that you don't own the rights to it anymore. I suppose it's probably better this way anyway, because I'd probably remember more of my C++ from college if I just started from scratch - but DJSP already had rock solid mp3 playback (regardless of filesize) and I've heard lots of complaints from homebrew developers about loading mp3's over 8mb.

Oh well, if you have anything you think might help me get started or maybe a different way to approach things I'd be very appreciative.
AnonymousTipster

For mp3 playback, look at the iRShell mp3 code at www.ahman.co.nr , and if you've got 1.5, then get iRShell. Best...app...ever.
Libmad (the library most/all mp3 players on PSP use) will only support ~44050hz though.
PhyerFly

Post by PhyerFly »

Cool thanks, that looks like a good place to start. I use IRShell as my xbox remote, but it do remember it having good mp3 playback.

Question, why would anyone use anything below 44khz? Aside from downsampling for filesize, I don't see the point.
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

libmad supports more than just 44khz mp3s. The problem is that the PSP's hardware channels support only 44hkz.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

cooleyandy wrote:libmad supports more than just 44khz mp3s. The problem is that the PSP's hardware channels support only 44hkz.
44KHz or 44.1KHz ? ...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development