Advancements in 1.51...

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

squiggle

Post by squiggle »

has anyone attempted to figure out how the update checks the version of the current firmware? If that problem was solved on a 1.5 (tricking it to run 1.5 update again) then we'd have something to shoot for altering with a different exploit (saved game, format string, etc).. Its just a question..
FrostAie

jew

Post by FrostAie »

but when i did the ac adapter swap i got one of the 3 errors:
its not pluged in
already have latest firmware
and battary is low
but i checked the battary it said 100 percent
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

pinhocarlos wrote:
mvpo.geo wrote:How do you know this is an exploit? When you did this you had 1.52 update in....Im pretty sure that the update is gonna run fine when you have the 1.52 UPDATE in your PSP.
EDIT: if we crate a folder in MS2 named UPDATE and put the 1.50 in it, and then create a folder called UPDATE1 and put the 1.52 in it... what will gona heppen??

is this what U are think???

sorry for my poor english!
Won't work. It checks the update against the firmware version installed on the PSP.

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2257 This thread outlines(somewhat) what is going on during the update procedure. As I have stated before:

We need a firmware specifically written to downgrade.
HaredX

Post by HaredX »

I think pinhocarlos is on the write track when he says that we should figure out a way to edit the files inside of the upgrade PBP to allow writing the upgrade files of a lower firmware version than the one currently installed to the psps memory. If we can figure out how to comment out the current firmware check in the updater and still be able to run it without it showing as corrupt we might have a shot at being able to downgrade.
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

HaredX wrote:I think pinhocarlos is on the write track when he says that we should figure out a way to edit the files inside of the upgrade PBP to allow writing the upgrade files of a lower firmware version than the one currently installed to the psps memory. If we can figure out how to comment out the current firmware check in the updater and still be able to run it without it showing as corrupt we might have a shot at being able to downgrade.
we get to a point, which one we focus on, disable the firmware check so we can run the 1.50, or edit the 1.50 PBP and change the sfo for the 1.52... like, because if we just change the sfo and put the data.psp to "connect" with it, we will be fine...
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

never mind!

like, if we put FW 1.50 in folder UPDATE-1 it runs but if we put in UPDATE not... why?
DrKickflip13

Post by DrKickflip13 »

If you put the update 1.5 in any folder other than UPDATE it will run but get a game error. Duh...
FrostAie

Post by FrostAie »

i also noticed if u change a the big E to a small e on the end it runs but gives an error but if u do that and do the standby thing it works
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

FrostAie wrote:i also noticed if u change a the big E to a small e on the end it runs but gives an error but if u do that and do the standby thing it works
i think the 1.52 have something that it can run and it isn't case-sensetie
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

I think it was already mensioned here but here it goes... when we plug in and plug out the AC Adapter a lot of times, it gives an error "battery low, charge battery" i think we need to explore this error and see why this error appers, becuase i was with 99% of battery and this error apper... i think with "this" error we can find the solution of downgrading"
Lollerskates

Post by Lollerskates »

Do that, carlos, and all you're likely to find is the solution to destroying your battery.
sq377

Post by sq377 »

I have a 1.51 psp, and a 1.5. I've tried upgrading hte 1.51 to 1.52, and it tells me it cannot do that. Because the bettery charge is low (100%). Tested this with both batteries, same thing. One of them was new. wiped off my memory stick plenty of times, and redownloaded it. Same thing. This isn't even using a modded version of the upgrade, it just plain doesn't work.
Lollerskates

Post by Lollerskates »

was it plugged in?
FrostAie

Post by FrostAie »

pinhocarlos wrote:I think it was already mensioned here but here it goes... when we plug in and plug out the AC Adapter a lot of times, it gives an error "battery low, charge battery" i think we need to explore this error and see why this error appers, becuase i was with 99% of battery and this error apper... i think with "this" error we can find the solution of downgrading"
thats what im thinking dude
AuDioFreaK39

Post by AuDioFreaK39 »

The plan I think we should go with is to trick the firmware into upgrading to a "hacker firmware", like a 1.53 (because 1.53 is greater than 1.52), but I think we would still need to be able to crack the checksums in order for it to authenticate the 1.53.
psp = pwnage
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

AuDioFreaK39 wrote:but I think we would still need to be able to crack the checksums in order for it to authenticate the 1.53.
And how to do that? Even 128-bit encryption, (I'm not sure what it is on the PSP) would take years on a single computer. Have fun cracking! :-P
Lego of my Ago!
Tech^CF

Post by Tech^CF »

Agoln wrote:And how to do that? Even 128-bit encryption, (I'm not sure what it is on the PSP) would take years on a single computer. Have fun cracking! :-P
Would or Could? Anyways, I agree it's not a good idea.
PSP 1.50 JAP Value + 512MB Sandisk + Lumines, Twisted Metal, Wipeout
imk

Post by imk »

this is just an idea i got a few seconds ago, dunno if anybody has though of it or if it would even work...

what if someone wrote some kind of loader that would execute the update... but the loader just wouldnt execute it, it would stay in memory and watch or dump the update files as they are unencrypted and executed?

but then i suppose the problem would be a person needing an older psp to hack at the update... and then youd need a way to encrypt/sign it so it will run on newer psps...

it was just a thought...
HaredX

Post by HaredX »

you guys are veering way off track here, we are trying to figure out how we can load homebrew on 1.51, downgrading the psp via homebrew is obviously not an option because you need to be able to run homebrew to do that which 1.51 can't......
Nick Fury

Post by Nick Fury »

HaredX wrote:you guys are veering way off track here,
I disagree.
we are trying to figure out how we can load homebrew on 1.51,
True but making it work by way of a downgrade might be the answer.
downgrading the psp via homebrew is obviously not an option
Eh.... not true. Coders make mistakes. I bet that it is still possible to run homebrew on 1.51 and 1.52. You just have to figure out where the mistake is and a way to exploit it.
because you need to be able to run homebrew to do that which 1.51 can't......
Refer to previous statement.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

OK. I have said this once already....

Read the damned thread I linked to in my last post. It outlines just about every damn thing you guys are proposing here, save checksum alterations(if its possible I know not how to do it).

I tried the mix and match of SFO and Upgrade data, between 1.50 JP update, 1.51 US, and 1.52 US and JP updates. It doesn't work. The DATA.PSP probably contains a quick checking program that reads the flash and then reads the file's version # or check-sum or what have you.

The ONLY way to downgrade is get a job at Sony and(most certainly, illegally) write a downgrade program. Unless anyone of you know how to get the AES key and/or signature and code your own downgrade, I am afraid we wont be downgrading anytime soon...
HaredX

Post by HaredX »

Nick Fury wrote: True but making it work by way of a downgrade might be the answer.
If we could run homebrew on a 1.51 to downgrade, then we wouldn't need to downgrade to run homebrew, thats what I am saying, you proved my point more, the easiest way to run homebrew isnt to make homebrew that downgrades because by being able to run homebrew that downgrades the psp we have already accomplished it...
HaredX

Post by HaredX »

F9zDark wrote:Unless anyone of you know how to get the AES key and/or signature and code your own downgrade, I am afraid we wont be downgrading anytime soon...
Not true at all, I think that as soon as we find a way to access and write to the memory where the psp's system files are we can just copy and paste files from a earlier firmware dump into that directory
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

We can do that now, and rumor has it, last person who did that bricked their PSP.

Once again, we're back to square one...
DrKickflip13

Post by DrKickflip13 »

well they woudnt have made a 1.52 update if the 1.51 wasnt flawed...
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

DrKickflip13 wrote:well they woudnt have made a 1.52 update if the 1.51 wasnt flawed...
Exactly. And that is out best bet, searching for holes.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

F9zDark wrote:
DrKickflip13 wrote:well they woudnt have made a 1.52 update if the 1.51 wasnt flawed...
Exactly. And that is out best bet, searching for holes.
well there might have been a flaw in a different area, not nessary in the booting stage. it could have been network bug, or something else causing the psp to crash or something.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
HaredX

Post by HaredX »

either way, there is always a way to crack something
AuDioFreaK39

Post by AuDioFreaK39 »

I heard an idea on the pspupdates forums about creating a php functioned webpage that will allow you to view the file structure and system files in the psp. You would need to do this in the Wipeout web browser, but then again, just another thought.
psp = pwnage
Nick Fury

Post by Nick Fury »

HaredX wrote:If we could run homebrew on a 1.51 to downgrade, then we wouldn't need to downgrade to run homebrew, thats what I am saying, you proved my point more, the easiest way to run homebrew isnt to make homebrew that downgrades because by being able to run homebrew that downgrades the psp we have already accomplished it...
I didn't prove jack shit for you. Instead there was a misunderstanding by way of communication.

You seem to think that we need the ability to run homebrew applications on the PSP to downgrade the firmware. That's not necessarily the case as pointed out by other users in this very thread.

Don't assume that the downgrade will come by way of running homebrew. It could come by other means.