Game/Update folder has special acceptions

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

DrKickflip13

Game/Update folder has special acceptions

Post by DrKickflip13 »

I'm not sure where this is going or if helps at all but...If you take the 1.52 update and stick it in game/update it works (I didnt update it of course, but it runs) but if you take the 1.52 update and stick it in game/NOTUPDATE you get a game error then random numbers. This makes me think that game/UPDATE has special rules applied to it or the 1.52 update just checks to see if its in the update folder. Anyway..we might be able to use this to make a 1.51 or 1.52 homebrew launcher (just a though). Please don't flame me if this is a dumb idea!
HaredX

Post by HaredX »

wow, good find....

/end sarcasm

how is this surprising to you?
Nick Fury

Re: Game/Update folder has special acceptions

Post by Nick Fury »

DrKickflip13 wrote:I'm not sure where this is going or if helps at all but...If you take the 1.52 update and stick it in game/update it works (I didnt update it of course, but it runs) but if you take the 1.52 update and stick it in game/NOTUPDATE you get a game error then random numbers. This makes me think that game/UPDATE has special rules applied to it or the 1.52 update just checks to see if its in the update folder. Anyway..we might be able to use this to make a 1.51 or 1.52 homebrew launcher (just a though). Please don't flame me if this is a dumb idea!
Can someone try this with the 1.51 update as well? Also what are the random numbers? Are you talking about the error codes?

They aren't random. They have meaning. If you are getting something other than the standard 0002 error code then please post it.

That's interesting though. I'll experiment with this when I get home from work if no one has beaten me to it by then.
DrKickflip13

Post by DrKickflip13 »

Well the morons at the other forums didn't realize this...which is part of the reason I switched forums cuz they're all morons
DrKickflip13

Post by DrKickflip13 »

I know they aren't random numbers but...anyway it ended in 001 which if i remember is the running unassigned code. This is when I swapped the data.psp of one of the NES emulators with the 1.52 update and ran it in game/UPDATE. If you run it in game/NOTUPDATE you get a different error than game/UPDATE. Nick, do u have AIM? my s/n is DrKickflip13
Nick Fury

Post by Nick Fury »

Error 0001 has something to do with super user.

Also please avoid double posting in the future. I'm not a mod or anything but it's not the polite thing to do. Use the edit button next time.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

There is nothing wrong with double posting.

Double posting as in replying more than once to a thread...

If you make two new identical topics I'll smack you down.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
n1ckn4m3

Covered already?

Post by n1ckn4m3 »

DrKickFlip--
I believe this has been covered already... No one has (yet) found a working exploit by mucking about with the update files. It was previously found that you could alter the error messages by changing the directory it was in, check http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=1201 for some more information.

There are several forum posts that regard using the newer updates and the update directory structure in order to attempt an exploit, but all of them (afaik and can remember) have ended in the realization that without a valid data.psar, the system will not run any code in the folder....

Good luck in your efforts, hopefully you can find some more useful information in previous posts!

Oh and the 80200001 error is a standard for either 'Generic Kernel Error' or something like the same... (Leeched from another post in this forum).

Again, Good luck, I hope for the 1.51/2'rs sake that you can find some information that leads to a valid exploit for them -- all us 1.5'rs are in heaven right about now! :)
... anyone up for some l33th4x?

;)
DrKickflip13

Post by DrKickflip13 »

I had a wild idea that is probably 100% retarted.
What if there were other folders like for example game/DEBUG that had special acceptions like this. Just a dumb idea I thought I'd throw out there...plz dont flame me
gotxp

Post by gotxp »

I tried the DEBUG folder a while a go.... and it didnt work then :p
See The Future... Feel The Future...