Running homebrew emu's at 333mhz MAY have killed my PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

kemical

Running homebrew emu's at 333mhz MAY have killed my PSP

Post by kemical »

Ok, I only just checked it now with the AC adapter, but earlier today I was running some emulators that have the ability to up the CPU speed to 333mhz, while running Nester my game locked up, the power light started flashing on and off, and my PSP shut off, I just assumed this was due to my battery being kind of low, and shrugged it off.

I just checked my PSP now with the AC adapter plugged in, and it does not turn on at all... So I'm assuming something happened running it at 333mhz, just a warning to you guys :\

I really can't think of what else it could have been.
Last edited by kemical on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

What parameters did you use to adjust the speed ?

Perhaps, as your case is showing, some of them are not safe to use.

Lets start keeping a record of intrepid adventurers leaving poor defenseless PSP's in their wake...
kemical

Post by kemical »

Well, i dont know for sure if it was from overclocking it, does the power light near the battery switch usually flash on and off if the battery is low? (the emulator froze also..)

I was running Nester at the time, so I don't know the coding specific stuff, I just had it set on 333mhz and had been playing for a while, prior to that I had been messing with all other emulators that have recently had the CPU adjustment added (it really helps get extra fps..!)
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

Well Sony locked the clock at 222 MHz because the battery would run out quickly, but I'm sure there are other reasons why they don't allow developers to run their code at 333 MHz.

Sony really only said the clock goes from 1 to 333 MHz. They never said it was safe to run a PSP at 333 MHz, they just said it can do it because it looks better on specs sheets.

What emulators run at 333 MHz besides Nester anyway?
Warren

Post by Warren »

To be honest, if you need more than 222mhz to emulate an 8mhz, 8-bit machine you're doing something horribly wrong.
Danj

Post by Danj »

kemical wrote:Well, i dont know for sure if it was from overclocking it, does the power light near the battery switch usually flash on and off if the battery is low? (the emulator froze also..)
Yes it does. Also, the PSP usually goes into sleep mode automatically if the battery gets too low, so that's probably what's happened - except of course the emulators don't support sleep mode. I'm not sure how you do a cold boot on a PSP - maybe take the battery out, wait 30 seconds, then put it back in?
Dan Jackson
Soir

Post by Soir »

I don't think that this is because of the overclock.

I'm a moderator at a Swedish PSP Forum and I've seen two maybe three members getting the same problem, during normal use (no overclock and one of them was/is using his PSP for homebrew).

I will ask one of them how he solved the problem.

Edit: Do not empty your battery, if you notice the little green light flash, turn your PSP off (or at least put it in sleep mode)!
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

Soir wrote:I don't think that this is because of the overclock.

I'm a moderator at a Swedish PSP Forum and I've seen two maybe three members getting the same problem, during normal use (no overclock and one of them was/is using his PSP for homebrew).

I will ask one of them how he solved the problem.

Edit: Do not empty your battery, if you notice the little green light flash, turn your PSP off (or at least put it in sleep mode)!
Were these people who had this problem able to fix their PSP or did they remain dead?
0xdeadface

Post by 0xdeadface »

Soir wrote:I will ask one of them how he solved the problem.
Soir

Post by Soir »

Shapyi wrote:Were these people who had this problem able to fix their PSP or did they remain dead?
Well... by saying "I will ask one of them how he solved the problem." and "one of them was/is using his PSP for homebrew" I would say it's obvious. In other words, yes they did fix it. I belive that it was no big deal.

I'm waiting for him to logon so I can ask him this (MSN). I will inform you ASAP =]

Edit: 0xdeadface: Hehe, I was writing when you posted that =P
Last edited by Soir on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

0xdeadface wrote:
Soir wrote:I will ask one of them how he solved the problem.
Well thats not really a solution if your PSP is already dead, thats just a prevention. I'm was asking if there was anything to help kemical with his problem.
Soir

Post by Soir »

Let's just make this clear.

This member played on his PSP until the little light flashed and his PSP shut down... he could not re-activate the PSP because of the low-power (it would seem that there was not much power at all left in the battery). When he tried to charge it, nothing happend. The PSP didn't charge the battery and he could therefor not even get the slightest signal from his PSP.

I don't know if your problem is similar so please write back, kemical.
kemical

Post by kemical »

Soir, thats exactly what seems to be happening, I didn't get a chance to try it again today, but I will when I get home.
steddy

Post by steddy »

kemical wrote:Soir, thats exactly what seems to be happening, I didn't get a chance to try it again today, but I will when I get home.
This just sounds like your PSP went into standby and that crashed Nester because it didn't know how to handle the powerstate callback.

Have you tried turning off your PSP properly rather than just putting in and out of standby? If you slide the power switch up and hold it there for about 5 seconds it will power off completely. Then try powering it back on.

Steddy
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

try to remove the backup battery from the mainboard for a few hours

sry my english :-)
th0mas

Post by th0mas »

Before you try this:
try to remove the backup battery from the mainboard for a few hours
definitely try this:
Have you tried turning off your PSP properly rather than just putting in and out of standby? If you slide the power switch up and hold it there for about 5 seconds it will power off completely. Then try powering it back on.
I know for a fact I could get my 1.0 PSP into an "unknown state" where it didn't want to do anything and wasn't responding to the power button. holding the power button for ~10-15 seconds was required sometimes.[/quote]
steddy

Post by steddy »

Well, did it work?

Steddy
kemical

Post by kemical »

the holding down power button thing hasn't worked, I even taped it down and left it like that for a couple hours while plugged into the AC adapter, the PSP is just completely unresponsive.
guess I will try opening it up later and removing the internal battery and see if that does anything.
Tribbs083

Post by Tribbs083 »

hey.. im about to run Nester.. but i dont wanan screw up my psp by running it at 333mhz..

how do i know or change it to normal?
$T-MONEY$

music.download.com
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

Tribbs083 wrote:hey.. im about to run Nester.. but i dont wanan screw up my psp by running it at 333mhz..

how do i know or change it to normal?
The default is 222 MHz.
Tribbs083

nes

Post by Tribbs083 »

awesome thanks man..
$T-MONEY$

music.download.com
KILLER-X

Post by KILLER-X »

quitas su tarjeta. y apagar su PSP.
soy el mejor de los mejores.
Lain_OTN

Post by Lain_OTN »

quitas su tarjeta. y apagar su PSP
Boot your PSP without Memory Stick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KILLER-X esa firma de creido......... bue que leches eres la bomba a seguir trabajando así!!!!!
Enhorabuena por ese trabajo bien hecho.
nilum

Post by nilum »

I have ran the SNES emulator at 333Mhz for like 10 hours straight... no problems so far... Playing Secret of Mana...
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

OT: nilum, aren' t you having problems with the text in Secret of Mana; in the pc version of snes9x you have to check a hi-res option to make it look right, but I can't find that option in the psp version, therefore text is all scrambled...
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

any news kemical?
did you manage to revive your PSP?
I wouldn't want to burn mine running emus at 333 :/
Later,

Alcahest
laxer3a

Post by laxer3a »

Kemical... I think a lot of people here are waiting from you to fully test if you can bring back your PSP to live here or not.
And if it is really due to a 333Mhz overclock.

By spreading wrong information, a lot of people are afraid or wait to use a feature that is may be doing NO DAMAGE whatsoever to the hardware.

If you are busy / had no time to answer, we all understand.
Else please see that the thread you started may spread very bad rumours about the PSP clocking feature.

Please inform us ASAP of all the things that you have checked.

Thanks for your understanding.
Saotome

Post by Saotome »

To be honest, I would rather see people use lower clockrates (or lowest possible for each software) and learn how to better optimize their code. So I wouldn't mind if too high clockrates damage the PSP ;), although I don't really believe that (as long as it's below 333).

just my two cents as an assembler optimizing freak :)
infj
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

Saotome wrote:To be honest, I would rather see people use lower clockrates (or lowest possible for each software) and learn how to better optimize their code. So I wouldn't mind if too high clockrates damage the PSP ;), although I don't really believe that (as long as it's below 333).

just my two cents as an assembler optimizing freak :)
I agree. Although it is harder and takes more work, we would get a lot better results if the coders optimized their code better to run on PSP. I mean a straight port won't deliever the best results and using 333 MHz as a crutch really isn't a good idea.

I mean a lot of people assume that Sony just limited the CPU to 222 MHz for battery conservation. I mean its untested territory we are talking about that doesn't have an official stamp of approval. And if your PSP fries, then Sony really won't do anything about it.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

even with all the possible optimisation, do you guys believe for exemple that the Snes emu could run at full speed at 222?
Also, have you heard/read about Japanese users killing their PSP at 333?
This very thread is the unique one i saw so far reporting a problem with 333..
Later,

Alcahest