Firmware 1.51 ?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

pedroleite

Firmware 1.51 ?

Post by pedroleite »

http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_01.html

SP®????????????????????????????????????2005.05.10?
?????PSP®??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????1.51??????
????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????

Just use your dashboard to read it... if that's reading...
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

AltaVista Babel Fish wrote:Concerning®the correspondence for PSP "place t Shaun portable" security strengthening [ 2005.05.10 ]

Because it corresponds to®the vulnerability with respect to security of system software of PSP "place t Shaun portable" it is reported, we start the update of system software. With the latest update, version of system software becomes 1.51.
Concerning update start day and time, we guide urgently with this site.
Being placed on everyone of the user, about no soldier/finishing understanding and cooperation, we ask may.
Google Language Tools wrote:Concerning the correspondence for PSP ョ " place t Shaun * portable " security strengthening [ 2005.05.10 ]

Because it corresponds to the vulnerability on the security of the system software of PSP ョ " place t Shaun * portable " it is reported, we start the update of the system software. With the latest update, version of the system software becomes 1.51.
Concerning update start day and time, we guide urgently with this sight.
Being placed on everyone of the user, about no soldier/finishing understanding and cooperation, we ask may.
Last edited by Vampire on Wed May 11, 2005 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

Security issues?

I tought 1.50 was still locked tight : )

Guess someone hit a sensitive point...

Now it's time for another appeal to Sony? If you can't beat them, join them...
pdc

Post by pdc »

so it isn't available for download yet?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Er... that looks to say "1.50" to me, and the firmware is identical to the 1.50 firmware.

Either the page changed or you were mistaken.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
CybBlade

Post by CybBlade »

i try to update my sys, and i get your sys is up to date. i got firm 1.5 so is not available yet
La Lección de hoy es: No todas las mujeres con las tetas grandes son necesariamente imbéciles.
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

I didn't said it was available... nor the page from sony JP implied it...

Another EBOOT.PBP to toy with... what joy... :)

Maybe they will just allow to run unsigned ELF again... a security problem reversed... (if you run unsigned there's less chance of trying to break the encryption...)
pdc

Post by pdc »

It definately looks like there is an update coming.

http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_01.html

At the top of the page, there is a news announcement from today (2005.05.10) and reference to "1.51".

Perhaps someone who reads Japanese will be able to explain better.

Post by Guest »

pedroleite wrote:Security issues?

I tought 1.50 was still locked tight : )

Guess someone hit a sensitive point...

Now it's time for another appeal to Sony? If you can't beat them, join them...
If I was Sony I would keep fixing every security hole discovered by homebrewers and hope they find no way to reflash older firmwares, or find a way to prevent it.

This gives two benefits:
1. Prevents mass-abuse of the PSP platform for illegal content usage. Granted its not there yet, but I have no doubt ppl elsewhere are looking for ways. Hopefully that never happens.

2. If anyone truly wants to simply homebrew, they need to track down the rare PSP that is still fw 1.0. Those people can be ignored because that population cannot increase in size, and will only decrease.

Personally I have no problems with this situation. I think things have happened too fast in the PSP homebrew scene and people need to take a step back for a breath, understand the ramifications of everything thats been done and wrought.
Vimacs.

Post by Vimacs. »

uhm CybBlade, additional security, dont sound like you would want to upgrade.
CybBlade

Post by CybBlade »

vimacs. i got my psp with 1.5, now im lost :D
La Lección de hoy es: No todas las mujeres con las tetas grandes son necesariamente imbéciles.
Pikoro

Post by Pikoro »

Could be that they overlook something in this next firmware too.

Keep checking http://www.psphacks.net/cgi-bin/ for an update every 15 minutes.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bear in mind this is from my weak japanese....

It says something to the effect that they know 1.00 had a flaw. Next update will be 1.51. They don't know when they will release it but they will keep us posted. If you don't update via network/PC connection some future games will require the firmware to be updated and ask you to do so(if you want to play).

The part below that where it talks about 1.50 is somthing along the same lines as above...

Curiously the last part (three lines with the third red exclamation mark) seems to mean that if you already have 1.50 you don't need 1.51.

Once again my reading of japanese is much weaker than my speaking.
konfig

Post by konfig »

pedroleite wrote: Maybe they will just allow to run unsigned ELF again... a security problem reversed... (if you run unsigned there's less chance of trying to break the encryption...)
If the lock is released in the future, PSP will be an excellent homebrew device.

I'll write a midi player that supports dls files for psp. A portable midi player is good.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Drakonite wrote:Er... that looks to say "1.50" to me, and the firmware is identical to the 1.50 firmware.

Either the page changed or you were mistaken.
Woops, my bad. I completely missed the mention of 1.51 in the first blurb on the page.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
allthatinny

Post by allthatinny »

i wonder if this firmware unlocks the CPU power cuz GT4 Mobile is coming out soon :)
engstrom

Post by engstrom »

CPU unlocking will be on a game by game basis, not in the firmware. If the firmware suddenly doubled the CPU speed your battery would last even less time than it does already and if the devs haven't put frame locks on all parts of their existing games they too would run twice as fast.

No disrespect to anyone but why do so many people think firmware updates are some magical gift channel from Sony? A few weeks ago everyone was getting excited by the Korean launch and the update that was sure to follow that would include a full web-browser. It seemed obvious to me from the outset that the Korean browser was a specific portal to specific content provider by a specific IP.

Anyway the news that Sony is updating the firmware due to 'security issues' doesn't bode well. I'm guessing that 1.5 users will have to wait for a hardware hack to get any homebrew running and any other holes that have been exploited will be sewn up tighter than a...very tight thing.

Ironically making the PSP so secure and adaptable to threats could be the thing that kills it off... I'm not interested about warez in the slightest (I work in the games industry so that would be taking the food from my mouth :-) And no I'm not a tester and I'm not going to try and get a PSP SDK for anyone!) but I would relish the chance to write some homebrew apps/games etc for my PSP. Personally I don't think it will happen for some time (apart from of course the 1.0 users).
F_B_i

Post by F_B_i »

It's official right now, i doubt it will support homebrew gaming, i fear it will be quite opposite - but we'll see.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/611/611529p1.html?fromint=1
May 10, 2005 - Sony Computer Entertainment has announced the pending availability of a new firmware update for the Japanese model PSP. The update is mainly a security fix and, following installation, will leave your PSP with system software version 1.51. Further details will be revealed in the near future.

There's no word yet from Sony Computer Entertainment regarding a similar update for the US PSP. If there is a need for a security fix on US systems, we presume SCE will announce the required update shortly.
konfig

Post by konfig »

engstrom wrote: Ironically making the PSP so secure and adaptable to threats could be the thing that kills it off... I'm not interested about warez in the slightest (I work in the games industry so that would be taking the food from my mouth :-) And no I'm not a tester and I'm not going to try and get a PSP SDK for anyone!) but I would relish the chance to write some homebrew apps/games etc for my PSP. Personally I don't think it will happen for some time (apart from of course the 1.0 users).

Open platform does not conflict with security.

An open platform is not that bad as you thought.
MDave

Post by MDave »

Interesting, so this means that 1.50 could have a potential exploit in it, if 1.50 isn't 'tight' enough. Wonder if it has to do with RR, I'll keep messing around with RR anyway. I wasn't expecting another firmware release so soon, then again, neither for the gb emulator :P
Kozzmic

Post by Kozzmic »

Then again, why only for japan and not us?

Post by Guest »

Kozzmic wrote:Then again, why only for japan and not us?
Because like most anything else, it is done first in Japan, then the US.
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

Actually...

All that I think is required is:

One cert included on the PSP that DOESN'T get's used with something else than homebrew.

All the user made PRX and ELF are encoded with this published cert. All the saves games from this is done with this cert too.

There is no way to reverse the system PRX, boot or game codes.

All publishers are safe, homebrew stops the exploits, and everyone is happy...

What keeps homebrew doing that right now is the lack of the encoding structures, where the cert goes and what comes out...

After this homebrew could "write" to the flash it's own cert, replacing one from sony or adding...

And there goes the crypto...

I think Sony just realized it's a matter of time until someone reverses the ~PSP structure... and after that it's just a way to place the cert in the flash... easy on the 1.0 ?

Flash isn't really easy to write too, blocks get erased and written again.
lmx

Post by lmx »

More likely 1.51 is in response to firmware dumper.
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

lmx wrote:More likely 1.51 is in response to firmware dumper.
I was thinking more towards UMD dumping.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Flash isn't really easy to write too, blocks get erased and written again.
In this case it is, since its a filesystem... assuming its writable, of course.
lmx

Post by lmx »

Shapyi wrote:I was thinking more towards UMD dumping.
So they'de stop the SDK compiled UMD reading examples from running? I think with the games gone by and in development now then that would be a tad difficult. I thought specific UMDs could only be read by their own game boot code because they're keyed, seems the key encryption is hardware side, because I can read any UMD I care to insert. And I can't see how that'll be patched against considering some apps rawread the UMD for access speed. Maybe they found a hole yet to be discovered, wouldn't be the first time.
engstrom

Post by engstrom »

Mike wrote:Curiously the last part (three lines with the third red exclamation mark) seems to mean that if you already have 1.50 you don't need 1.51. .
Now this is weird, isn't it? Why address security issues in (I presume) v1.0 with an upgrade to 1.51 ? Why not make 1.5 users upgrade too? Why not just urge everyone to upgrade to 1.5?
Surely they know that no one with a 1.0 is going to upgrade?
The only people who would upgrade would be people with 1.5 who would think " I may as well.".
One (far-fetched) interpretation of this could be that there is a security wekaness in 1.5 and they want people to upgrade without realising it.
_Psycho

Post by _Psycho »

Yes, this is maybe related to the UMD dump, firmware dump is almost impossible to stop. But who know !
Phour20

Post by Phour20 »

Maybe 1.51 is just what they call the last update that Japan got.. Or does the last one exist on their servers too..