Hello World for PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

wulf

Post by wulf »

Congrats! I'm gonna use the pic as my background :) Keep up the awesome work..

BTW, not like I have any real clue what I'm talking about, but I think that fooling with the ghost file is probably the next step.. (not like this hasn't been said, but... damn, I'm exited...)
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

ooPo wrote:Please do not confuse me with nem. He did all the work, I'm currently just a guy with a v1.0 psp and a camera. :)
did you take that pic oopo? i just found the same pic at psp-hacks. or did they take it from you.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
asmodi

Post by asmodi »

The pic on psp-hacks.com is from ooPo's original phototake. As ooPo had to shut his site down due to heavy traffic, I don't think he mind.

However, I don't like psp-hacks.com/psp-hacks.net and every other fan site posting missleading news. About that elf2pbp and pbpunpacker, thouse two apps has nothing to do with nemnem's work, these two simply unpack the pbp (which ooPo wrote a program months ago for) and cat's the files together. They may be usefull for some people, but they shoulden't be considering needed apps for the PSP homebrew scene, which people may believe now.
Last edited by asmodi on Fri May 06, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not in my nature to be mysterious, but I can't talk about it, and I can't talk about why.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Quick question for those who have this all working - I have found a PSP 1001K to buy, is there anyway to tell if this will work or not? I know the original japanesse ones were PSP 1000K.. so is this a jap PSP with a patch?
Bye.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

best way to be certain is to go into system settings -> system information and read the System Software version string.
Kung VU
qleyo

Post by qleyo »

edited post to reflect Nem, and not Oopo, thanks for the pic anyways oopo :-p. Now we need to work out a way to either make this happen on 1.5 or get 1.0 back on?
Last edited by qleyo on Sat May 07, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qubitz

Post by qubitz »

Grover wrote:Quick question for those who have this all working - I have found a PSP 1001K to buy, is there anyway to tell if this will work or not? I know the original japanesse ones were PSP 1000K.. so is this a jap PSP with a patch?
None of the PSP-1000Ks are 1.0. You will need a PSP-1000, but watch out, the new ones are 1.5 Make sure you email the seller and ask if it is 1.0.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Thanks qubitz - the seller couldnt tell me what it was and didnt wanna open the box. I have found a place with a demo one (with def v1.0 firmware).. which they might sell.. hopefully..

Another q. To the people who made this - is the elf a normal ps2 elf? Or something a little modified?
Bye.
zoogderrick2

hello world on 1.00 psp

Post by zoogderrick2 »

hi i dont know if this has already been done, but i took a video showing it on my v1.00 psp. enjoy, sorry for the lack of quality but i took it with a ps2 eyetoy cam, and just put a mic on the side for sound.

http://d31.yousendit.com/D/01RDQMOEYDZL ... oworld.wmv
nem

Post by nem »

Thanks for you all :)
Discussions and infos in this forum enabled me to make Hello World.

There are some inquiries about source code. Here you are:
http://anon.ug.to/sec/pub/hellopsp_src_Rel1.zip

To build the code, I used ps2dev toolchain for PS2. There is no devtool for PSP yet.
PS2 and PSP both uses MIPS cpu and there's some machine code compatibility. You can not use some PSP and/or C code features with PS2 devtool, but for testing it is enough.
A lot of things to do.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

nem wrote:Thanks for you all :)

To build the code, I used ps2dev toolchain for PS2. There is no devtool for PSP yet.
PS2 and PSP both uses MIPS cpu and there's some machine code compatibility. You can not use some PSP and/or C code features with PS2 devtool, but for testing it is enough.
A lot of things to do.
That's exactly what I've been thinking. I've been using Elf2PBP to convert a few PS2 apps this morning, and haven't had any success, but I think it might be because I have a 1.5 US PSP. If anyone like to try a converted ExecFTPS ELF (PS2 FTP server) on a 1.0 PSP, I'll provide the link.

http://www.jordanfrenzy.com/psp/EBOOT.PBP

For those wondering, it does appear in the MemoryStick game menu, and it does launch, but it comes back to the menu with an error. (The same thing that happens when you launch nem's Hello World on a 1.50 PSP)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Jordan wrote:That's exactly what I've been thinking. I've been using Elf2PBP to convert a few PS2 apps this morning, and haven't had any success, but I think it might be because I have a 1.5 US PSP. If anyone like to try a converted ExecFTPS ELF (PS2 FTP server) on a 1.0 PSP, I'll provide the link.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you cannot run PS2 binaries on the PSP. nem is using the ps2dev compiler with special flags to compile PSP programs. This works because the compiler supports enough MIPS processors to generate code seperately for the PS2 (default) and the PSP.
"He was warned..."
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Right, I understand that, but it could be worth a try to try and execute this on a 1.0 PSP.

...but then again I could be way off and not have a clue what I'm talking about, =)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Jordan wrote:Right, I understand that, but it could be worth a try to try and execute this on a 1.0 PSP.
I hope you know that you are on your way to the Hall of Shame for an unwritten rule. :P
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

mrbrown wrote:
Jordan wrote:Right, I understand that, but it could be worth a try to try and execute this on a 1.0 PSP.
I hope you know that you are on your way to the Hall of Shame for an unwritten rule. :P
unfortrunaly this topic is too hot to be placed in the hall of shame =P.

to: Nem thanks for the code.

Now its time to figure a way to get this working on v1.5. =S
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Orion_

Post by Orion_ »

yeah! psp have direct framebuffer access, it rox !
skippy911

Post by skippy911 »

Hi all,

First thanks to nem for getting code to work. Now on for my question, what can I use to convert bitmaps into the correct format for the psp? I tried using ps2is image editor but the pallete is all wrong when I view it on the psp :-/ Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

http://www.segger.com/emwingscbitmap.html

try googling bitmap to c

also try dreamgl, they have a bmp to c converter as well, but its not in short.
nem

Post by nem »

The bitmap in the code is 5551 formatted short. You'll find in the code how rgb is assigned to. I do not know about tools. I wrote some small code to convert the image.
Orion_

Post by Orion_ »

mmh o_O
I found 1555 0BGR using the image of your source code.
Busby

Post by Busby »

nem wrote:Thanks for you all :)

A lot of things to do.
Great work Nem :) Wish I had 1/3 of the brains you do to do this type of work :)

Can I ask in what direction your going now with this? any other idea's you are working on?

Thanks
Orion_

Post by Orion_ »

I would never have flash my psp, now I can't code on it :'(
btw, do we have enough thing to start writing a psp emulator ??
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

nem wrote:The bitmap in the code is 5551 formatted short. You'll find in the code how rgb is assigned to. I do not know about tools. I wrote some small code to convert the image.
hey nem you want to make you bmp to c converter program or source available?
skippy911

Post by skippy911 »

Well I made a little demo with scrolling text but I still cant get my gfx to show up correctly. Anyone else working on modifying nem's source that got their gfx to display??

On the psp
http://img206.echo.cx/img206/3374/mario0028iu.jpg

Original picture
http://img51.echo.cx/img51/8152/mario0033ia.jpg

See the colors are wrong :-/

edit: and no its not blurry its just hard to get a good pic with my camera
Last edited by skippy911 on Sat May 07, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cowclub

help

Post by cowclub »

IT say's "The GAme could not be started (80020001)"PLEASE HELP
Warren

Post by Warren »

Skippy911: like I said in IRC, the pixel format must be BGR instead of RGB
cowclub: you cannot run code on PSPs with version 1.5 of the firmware installed and no there is currently no way to revert back to v1.0
Orion_

Post by Orion_ »

like I said 4 post upstairs than your post skippy911

I can't understand how work the call to kernel function.
does the numbers in startup.s are the address of the functions in kernel/memory ?
how did you find them and what was their parameters ?
skippy911

Post by skippy911 »

Got it working right thanks to some help with the colors:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1617656/EBOOT.rar.html

Here is a pic for people who cant run it:

http://img131.echo.cx/img131/1497/mario1fr.jpg

Oh yah and the text scrolls across the bottom of the screen.
Last edited by skippy911 on Sat May 07, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skippy911

Post by skippy911 »

Orion_ wrote:like I said 4 post upstairs than your post skippy911

I can't understand how work the call to kernel function.
does the numbers in startup.s are the address of the functions in kernel/memory ?
how did you find them and what was their parameters ?
I dunno you would have to ask nem I just used his functions :-/
alexmae

Post by alexmae »

skippy911 wrote:Got it working right thanks to some help with the colors:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1617656/EBOOT.rar.html

Here is a pic for people who cant run it:

http://img131.echo.cx/img131/1497/mario1fr.jpg

Oh yah and the text scrolls across the bottom of the screen.
how did you made that? what did you used?