Browser Functions

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

kry.sys

Browser Functions

Post by kry.sys »

---------------------
Thread summary
---------------------
known handlers

Code: Select all

http link 
http&#58;//<url>

local file
file&#58;//<location>/<file>

location can be
any of these FAT devices. not block&#58;* --> 
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=1646

Code: Select all

process
proc&#58;//<function>/&#91;options&#93; <location> and or <file> or <http link>

function can be
command
atrac3_http*
psmf_http*

examples, further specifications and which functions/handlers are compatible with which browsers coming soon

===========
Last edited by kry.sys on Thu May 19, 2005 1:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

I wish i had saved those pages from korean PSP browser Video On Demand (psp.paran.com one). There were proc:// in the there linked to videos... :(
What does this button do?
pspvideo9

Post by pspvideo9 »

id like to be more specific.. sorry
Does that mean you know something?

Anyways, what really is the point of playing back an mp4 over the network? You can already do that now, without the lag.
bkane

Post by bkane »

Streaming video over a network could have a few advantages, though I'd consider it "different" rather than "better" compared to using the memory stick. Space on a network is definitely cheaper than MS space. Bandwidth would then be a concern, but it would certainly be something interesting to tinker with, particularly on a local scale.

Moreover, streaming video is just one speculated browser function. I think the idea here is to explore what the proc:// actually opens up, with video streaming just being one attempt.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

h.264 does wonders at 11mbs... i wouldnt be surprised if sony had cameras and h.264 video conferencing by this time next year. ;)
PSPGalaxy

Post by PSPGalaxy »

With regards to Browser functions that fail, such as Flash or Plugin's is there any merit in having a proxy load thoses pages and serve a image to the PSP instead of html? Just thinking out loud guys...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Any reason why this was made into its own topic instead of continuing in the thread already ongoing?
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

yes it went off topic a bit but i wanted the thread for specificaly the proc:// among other functions... for documentation.. i guess im used to a wiki.

i was hoping for specific comments such as

EXAMPLE
i tried such and such with the proc and it does not work..

test
(description of test)
result
(fail success etc)
notes
END OF EXAMPLE
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The search function generally works well for finding information in long threads, or a descriptive subject line helps when you create a new one. Take your pick, please try to do one or the other.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

yes i agree sorry.

my wife was yelling at me as i was posting so i couldnt make it the way i wanted it in the first place. I did want a generic thread with a summary so all usefull information could be easily seen at first glance.

admins feel free to edit my first post with information deemed worthy.

(i liked that knock-knock idea) :P
Herman

Post by Herman »

Alright, I have started experimenting with this. First off, I'm running Win2K3 SP1 Eval with the DNS server and IIS set up, and I'm running this on my LAN. I'll write this up as I go along, and edit it every once in a while with updates.

I'll start off with some non-proc URI stuff first, just to get it out of the way.

I made a page that has simple links to mp3, avi, mp4, and mpg files. When I try to follow the links for mp3, avi, and mpg, it just does nothing, but when I try to follow the mp4 link, I get a 404 (I'm certain that the file is actually there; the link works fine from Internet Explorer).

Edit: Oh well, that was a false lead. I'm guessing IIS has some weird thing about serving mp4 files. I tried it from a remote PC and it 404'd as well. On to proc testing...

Edit: Once again, oh well... Since I have a SCEA PSP, I tried making a redirector to the Japanese stuff, but it just doesn't want to work. The Japanese site actually checks if it's 102 or 105, and if I try any proc stuff from my own page (it seems to matter that it's lowercase by the way), it just says connection error. I guess I'll have to wait for an update to the US version to play around some more.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

I went to out of town to some classes and i get back you you all went nuts with this stuff!!! great work nem!!! It all seems so simple now but i thought it impossible 2 weeks ago! again. Good stuff.

soo im back and im just updating this thread.

pspvideo9 wrote:
id like to be more specific.. sorry
Does that mean you know something?
I dont have the balls to post this info untill someone else makes it freely availible.
Warren

Post by Warren »

kr.sys: don't tease people, if you know something either post it or send it to me or one of the other regulars and we'll let you know whether or not it's ok to post here.
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

Warren wrote:kr.sys: don't tease people, if you know something either post it or send it to me or one of the other regulars and we'll let you know whether or not it's ok to post here.
I believe the rules clearly show that the disclosure of information is of the responsability of the poster.
If the info is available somewhere public, and it's referenced to it... makes for a easier conscience...

A regular with 24 posts... gosh... must have overflowed the counter.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

Warren is a regular, albeit not a chatty one on the forums it seems, nonetheless he has done enough for ps2dev in the past to be a regular.

Roughly its enough if you have cvs write rights to be a "regular".
Kung VU
Neovanglist
Site Admin

Post by Neovanglist »

A regular with 24 posts... gosh... must have overflowed the counter.
pedroleite: Many of us have made quite a few contributions and been around a long time, and just don't post to the forums much.

Post count has very little to do with anything.
Regards,
Neovanglist
pixel

Post by pixel »

Neovanglist wrote:Post count has very little to do with anything.
Wrong. It has to do with trolling gauge. :P
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

Warren wrote:kr.sys: don't tease people, if you know something either post it or send it to me or one of the other regulars and we'll let you know whether or not it's ok to post here.
honestly... id rather be known as the idiot who posts what he sees elsewhere.

on another note.. i have found 2 instances where sony information to thier devs have been false.

unpackaged/signed software (even 1.0) running is impossible
unpackaged/signed full quality psmfs and atrac3s will not play without special packaging (similar to bins)

not that this effects us (our group) much, but still.
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

were you able to play pmf's with no player? the Korean's VOD plays pfms using NESPOT's UMD.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

MindWall wrote:were you able to play pmf's with no player? the Korean's VOD plays pfms using NESPOT's UMD.
no you still need a player. but we were told the movies had to be packaged a certain way and thats just not true. maybe they need to be packaged for sony's player.. but they told us it wouldnt play on the device at all unless it went through them first. I dunno maybe we spoke to the wrong people. In any case there are games out there that play pmf's for cutscenes and i dont think those games do any signature checking. so i can only suggest that, untill soemone makes a player, to use .. say... wipeout: pure to play your movies.. that would involve somthing closer to what is NOT allowed here so just think on that.
Pikoro

Post by Pikoro »

Ok, as far as mp4 files go, they pull via a link, and then when it's finished, the page goes away and the "Select connection" screen comes up.

Cheers