Namco Arcade Collection.. maybe an answer?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

cyphatic

Namco Arcade Collection.. maybe an answer?

Post by cyphatic »

Hi!

Been hanging out in the #psp channel on efnet, and always had an interest in the homebrew side of things. (I have a sprite set i've been designing for a good while now, for the game ill never make).

Namco's Arcade Collection is going to feature the ability to share games over wifi. But if it's going to have selective game sharing, I don't really see how that can be done in the bios's menu. But who knows.

But for something to just scope when it comes out, if it does have game sharing options within the game itself, I wonder if it will wirelessly transmit those games encrypted or not, especially if it's going to be emulated games instead of ports.

I don't know, just some wacky ideas from a noob, I don't have any real knowledge of this stuff. Just figure someone might get an idea from some of my ramblings ;)

-cyphatic
Agntneo

Post by Agntneo »

Lets hope we can sniff the packets up uncrypted, if so we can reverse engineer them and somehow work out a way to run code off the mem stick.
Unfortunatly I can't do anything since I don't have the Namco Museum game.
What if you sniff Ridge Racer while playing a network game, for example online with neXBC or Xlinx Kai?

Just a thought.
bpoint

Post by bpoint »

When you select the game sharing option from within Namco Museum, it drops back to the OS (one of the probable reasons why the OS is 8Mb :P), with the same frontend/interface as the main PSP menu. The OS searches for a unit running as receiver, and uploads the game image. Once the upload is completed, the PSP returns back to the Namco Museum main menu.

Note that in the case of Namco Museum, it only uploads all of the original version games, none of which have link/2P support. So you basically send it to your friend next to you who doesn't have any game... you can't play together, or anything.

The wireless protocol is fully encrypted, same as DS. It doesn't even speak TCP/IP, so there's no packet routing. If you want to examine the data, you'll have to look at it in raw form.
Agntneo

Post by Agntneo »

So you could probably dump that image on your mem card and run it then.
W00t the first game running from mem card?
bpoint

Post by bpoint »

*sigh*

The PSP has a specific file format for running code off of the memory stick. You're not going to be able to simply capture the stream and dump it to a raw file and have it magically work.

You will have to find some way to repackage it, into a valid executable format... and even then, it's all encrypted and checksummed to hell. We don't even know where the checksum bytes are in the .pbp format anyway.
Kamilion

Post by Kamilion »

Or figure out a way to use a PC to capture and retransmit to the game sharing. Next time someone with a good wireless adapter that can capture packets has some friends with PSPs and a copy of namco museum over, do the following (you need at LEAST 3 PSPs for this)

1: Begin capturing 802.11 packets.
2: PSP1 hosts game sharing.
3: PSP2 requests a shared game. Receives.
4: PSP3 requests a shared game. Receives.
5: Any further PSPs do the same.
6: PSP1 changes System Nickname.
Repeat 2-5.
PSP2 changes System Nickname.
Repeat 2-5.
PSP3 changes System Nickname.
Repeat 2-5.
Any additional PSPs change system nicknames and repeat until exhausted.

IF the data stream is fully encrypted, we could possibly crack the game sharing key by using a known plaintext attack simply by performing this over and over and observing the changes in the bitstream.

Someone start capping packets and linking to the captures.
VictorAdept

Post by VictorAdept »

Thats something I could pull off. Reccomend a program for capturing the packets? I have an orinoco wi-fi card and big antenna setup for wardriving so its pretty sensitive.
Information is power.
Orion_

Post by Orion_ »

here is a dump of packet when namco museum transfer data
http://psp.wtfwasthat.com/
Kamilion

Post by Kamilion »

Ethereal. Here's the link.

http://www.ethereal.com/

More captures! we need as many as we can to statistically break down the data content.

Also -- PLEASE REMEMBER TO TELL US THE SYSTEM NICKNAMES IN USE FOR ALL SYSTEMS INVOLVED, BOTH SENDING AND RECEIVEING, FOR EVERY CAPTURE, AND ANY NICKNAME CHANGE!
Starman

Post by Starman »

Don't waste your time. I have NM.

When you do the game sharing, it sends a SINGLE LEVEL of each classic game to the other PSP. When you complete the level it says "Game Over".

Mike