Update v1.50 has been made available!

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Post by Guest »

jabberwock wrote:Couldn't it be possible that this new firmware 'patches' some security holes? So that if you put this one on your psp, security is even better? This would suck because you cant switch back to the original firmware...
Absolutely correct. Which is why some people who are serious about PSP homebrew intend to keep more than one PSP: one at the original firmware, and one that can be updated.
bpoint

Post by bpoint »

gorim wrote:Absolutely correct. Which is why some people who are serious about PSP homebrew intend to keep more than one PSP: one at the original firmware, and one that can be updated.
Or just not update at all... :)
jabberwock

Post by jabberwock »

But i guess, if this would be the case, sony'd better make sure no one finds out how the update works, else we could extract this vital information from this update en use this to our advantage!

also, the extra software features (if they come) will be released with update 2.0 (cause it's now a 1.5 wich means it doesn't add extra features, right?)
Agntneo

Post by Agntneo »

Well the big question is, how can we dump the existing firmware from the PSP? I bet Sony have patches for security holes that exist in the JAP PSP firmware.
As much as I want to update my PSP I'd rather be a bit skeptical and wait to see if we can dump the existing firmware first so we don't loose anything by updating.
jabberwock

Post by jabberwock »

unfortunatly, if such 'holes' would excist only in the JPN psp, wouldn't homebrew be less supported? I mean, if only people with a japanese psp could homebrew, then less people will get involved with helping the scene.
Agntneo

Post by Agntneo »

Heh, as soon as we can exploit the buffer overflow that happends with the images there will be homebrew, I belive.

Unfortunatly homebrew at that point would only be for people with JAP PSP's.
But if someone somehow could dump the existing JAP PSP Firmware it would be great because then everyone could run homebrew.

Btw, can you run the new firmware update and not flash? Is everything in english?

Post by Guest »

jabberwock wrote:unfortunatly, if such 'holes' would excist only in the JPN psp, wouldn't homebrew be less supported? I mean, if only people with a japanese psp could homebrew, then less people will get involved with helping the scene.
Correct, but is there any choice ? We take what we can get. We don't have any control over what holes Sony provides. We don't even know how much control Sony has, although I daresay its pretty good so far. ;)

Sony has already closed some holes for homebrew in the PS2. People who want those holes (as well as the HDD bay) need to buy an older PS2.

This is real life. :) I am sure some bright people with newer PS2's will find their own holes, or possibly even the first holes that everyone will upgrade firmware to get to.
konfig

Post by konfig »

Agntneo wrote:Well the big question is, how can we dump the existing firmware from the PSP?
I think, the direct way to get the PSP's firmware is to pull out the chip from the circuit board, and use some hardware equipment to read its content - at the cost of one whole psp(maybe get an encrypted version).
Agntneo

Post by Agntneo »

What chip is it stored on btw?
I wish I knew someone who would do that =). I simply can't afford equipment to do it and I can't sacrifice my psp :P since it's expensive enough as it is.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Actually, it is now CLEAR that sony changed more than they said with update 1.5...

Particularly the way INFRASTRUCTURE MODE is handled by the PSP.
Before I could use some sort of Wifi hack that allowed me to check for firmware updates from the PSP using an Ad-hoc point as explained here :
(although firwmare update are done in infrastrucute mode, Ad-hoc + Windows ICS acted as infrastrucute mode)
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewto ... afdc1cfd70
Since i installed 1.5, this doesn't work anymore!!
Later,

Alcahest
MarfPSP

Post by MarfPSP »

Alcahest, are you the same Alcahest from Xlink forums?

Shame that the firmware updating now wont work with a USB key, didnt get a chance to try it in the end.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Instructions and details are available on the jp playstation site. Interesting that UMD part, eh?

http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_01.html

MarfPSP

Post by MarfPSP »

ooPo wrote:Files are exactly the same whether you download with the PSP or directly from the webpage.

It downloads to: /PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP

If you move it to /PSP/GAME/TEST/EBOOT.PBP, it will run it, then drop back to the main browser right away. It looks like it expects and checks that it was run from the correct directory.
I found the same, putting in the Test folder booted me back to the menu after telling me it couldnt run it. Running it from the update folder worked first time :)
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

yes i am MarfPSP.
I've been toying around to see if using a defined SSID and WEP key would help but no, nothing :/
damn upgrade :E

I guess sony did this to stop possible tunneling of connections designed for infrastructure mode, to force users to use Sony's server :/
I hope i'm missing something and i'm wrong though. ;)

Later,

Alcahest
Agntneo

Post by Agntneo »

Yes the UMD part there is very interesting.
Could one see demo UMD's that contain the update?
Demo UMD's which maybe will follow in a magazine?
bpoint

Post by bpoint »

Agntneo wrote:Yes the UMD part there is very interesting.
Could one see demo UMD's that contain the update?
Demo UMD's which maybe will follow in a magazine?
I think this might have already been mentioned, but you'll probably find that future games on UMD will contain an update, and will refuse to run unless you install the update.

Just one way of Sony making sure the holes are plugged. :)
nessus

Post by nessus »

does the US version already have 1.5 installed? i tried to run the network update, and it told me latest version is already installed.
pdc

Post by pdc »

nessus wrote:does the US version already have 1.5 installed? i tried to run the network update, and it told me latest version is already installed.
System Settings --> System Information --> System Software
alexmae

Post by alexmae »

yes
Orion_

Post by Orion_ »

noticed that the old fake firmware upgrade don't work anymore, it say "damaged data"
Orion_

Post by Orion_ »

when Trying to start the 1.5 update again it says that there is no need to update without even starting the updater. I replaced 1.50 string to 1.60 in the file at: 0x64C, after that the updater program launch but say that data is corrupted (file checksum ?)
this mean that we now can't start the only 2 official program from memory stick we had :/
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

You're running the programs fine. It just refuses to update the flash once its running.

Besides, not all of us have upgraded yet. :)
jabberwock

Post by jabberwock »

no, but you will eventually. At least most of us will. We want to play games with this machine, and if that means we have to update....we have to update....smart move from sony!
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Keep a spare, virgin PSP.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

Orion_ wrote:when Trying to start the 1.5 update again it says that there is no need to update without even starting the updater. I replaced 1.50 string to 1.60 in the file at: 0x64C, after that the updater program launch but say that data is corrupted (file checksum ?)
this mean that we now can't start the only 2 official program from memory stick we had :/
changing anything in the file messes up the checksum... they use MD5. there 2 md5s... one in the url of the update for the whole pbp file and another inside the file using a diferent blocks of data to check.

ill post my findings on replacing the first png file when i get home.
bartzilla

Serial remote debugging output

Post by bartzilla »

Could someone who has done investigation on the serial data on the remote try monitoring the psp update process on that port? If I were to write something like the psp updater I'd include some kind of basic debugging output, and since it's already been rumored that the dead-psp treatment involves a dongle being attached to the headphone remote port it might make sense for that the be a debug port, too.

I'll probably be doing this myself, but more experimenters means more opportunity for discovery.
Agntneo

Post by Agntneo »

Well, we surely need to dump the existing JAP 1.0 firmware.
When that is done we can check if we can flash back to old flash files.
The 1.5 firmware update can have a protection against flashing older files, or it may just be for the "beta leak" firmware?
konfig

Post by konfig »

Rom chip always has two pins for power supply. There are secured chip that will destroy its content at once when finding the voltage applied is not correct.

That is what I've seen somewhere.
kemical

Post by kemical »

is it known if the remote is serial?

I just opened mine up now so I could get better contacts on the wires, was trying to check for changes in resistance / etc when buttons were pressed, but it was a pretty weak attempt.

I saw this page, I';m not sure how similar MD remotes are to the psp one.
http://l.pawlowski.free.fr/mdcom/

and this
http://www.whimsy.demon.co.uk/sircs/

Is there any way to run terminal or something like that and have it display anything that is sent to com1 on the pc?

Post by Guest »

kemical wrote:is it known if the remote is serial?
Check back in these forums for the "serial / remote" thread for lots of talk about this.