GCC 4.4.0 and PSP Toolchain

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Wally

GCC 4.4.0 and PSP Toolchain

Post by Wally »

Will GCC 4.4.0 work with the last PSP Toolchain patch? (was generated for 4.3.2)

We are falling behind, I'm not really the person to go poking around diff files because I'll definitely miss something.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The toolchain doesn't work with 4.3.3, so I'd guess that's probably a "no".
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:The toolchain doesn't work with 4.3.3, so I'd guess that's probably a "no".
*Sigh*

Is that because of the fact that binutils is out of date too?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally wrote:
J.F. wrote:The toolchain doesn't work with 4.3.3, so I'd guess that's probably a "no".
*Sigh*

Is that because of the fact that binutils is out of date too?
Possibly. It does tend to lag behind the compiler as far as being kept up to date goes. I'm certain some updates to gcc REQUIRE the latest binutils as well or kablooey! It's usually more of a problem with the c++ compiler than the rest.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

more important than gcc 4.4 is to update binutils. I'm trying to create packages for linux similar to my windows ones, and managed to build a working sdk but there is a bug with binutils and the host compiler gcc 4.3.3.

Upgrading binutils is complicated, I've tryed to manually patch the 1.17 version using the 1.16 patch and even though i managed to merge the changes and compiled the assembler was broken.

We need to look better to it and upgrade from 1.16 to 1.19.

Once i finish my scripts I'll post a patch for the linux build scripts that allows us to build the SDK without needing to downgrade the host gcc to 4.2
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

are you that guy who makes minpspw i always get you mixed up with someone else
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

yes :)

heimdall == jetcube
slasher2661996

Post by slasher2661996 »

in what language :P
jsharrad

Post by jsharrad »

What have the upgrades to gcc & binutils given us other than headaches and more threads on the toolchain not compiling properly? Have there been any advantages? Are there any advantages to further upgrading?
hlide

Post by hlide »

jsharrad wrote:What have the upgrades to gcc & binutils given us other than headaches and more threads on the toolchain not compiling properly? Have there been any advantages? Are there any advantages to further upgrading?
I heard gcc 4.4.0 has better overall optimization.
Kreationz

GCC 4.4.0

Post by Kreationz »

Also doesn't it have more MIPS specific optimizations. We are programming for the PSP... >_>

Also, better optimization is something some us need *cough* DX64 *cough*
Kreationz

Just a question.

Post by Kreationz »

Who would be the individual in charge of doing something like this?
jsharrad

Post by jsharrad »

Whoever feels like it, do it yourself, make sure it works, and submit a patch if you like. ;)
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

jsharrad wrote:What have the upgrades to gcc & binutils given us other than headaches and more threads on the toolchain not compiling properly? Have there been any advantages? Are there any advantages to further upgrading?
There have been some benefits. On the GCC side lots of things have improved you can check here: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html. On the newlib with the latest 1.17 you now have a full re-entrant libc and friends which means that if you use threaded code your libc will act as expected instead of some weird stuff when 2 threads call the same function. Also you have lots of improvements in performance. http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2008/msg00754.html. On the binutils side upgrading them besides fixing a build problem with the latest host GCC 4.3.x would fix some bugs http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cg ... ils-2_19_1 and improve the quality of the assembly code.
DataMatrix

Post by DataMatrix »

I would like to ask if http://ps2dev.org/psp/Tools/Toolchain/p ... 26.tar.bz2 is the latest package?
I fail to compile both on Debian 5 and Ubuntu 9.04 (Intel Core Duo (Ubuntu 9.04 and virtual machine debian5) and AMD Athlon64 (debian 5) systems)
(running as recommended: CC=gcc-4.2 ./toolchain.sh
It just stops with

Code: Select all

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/pspdev/build/newlib-1.15.0/build-psp'
make: *** [all] Error 2
../scripts/004-newlib-1.15.0.sh: Failed.

null
Kreationz

Post by Kreationz »

jsharrad wrote:Whoever feels like it, do it yourself, make sure it works, and submit a patch if you like. ;)
Ehh.. I use VisC++ Express w/Heimdall's package so this wouldn't be my forte, however I believe Wally is working on it. I was just wondering who is in charge the the toolchain.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Kreationz wrote:
jsharrad wrote:Whoever feels like it, do it yourself, make sure it works, and submit a patch if you like. ;)
Ehh.. I use VisC++ Express w/Heimdall's package so this wouldn't be my forte, however I believe Wally is working on it. I was just wondering who is in charge the the toolchain.
Its a bit out of my league.
matt_hargett

Post by matt_hargett »

The loop transformation/optimization improvements in GCC 4.4 should be a huge boon to a somewhat cache-limited platform like the PS2. You just have to make sure that you build with CLOOG, PPL, and MPFR support.

On top of this, being able to use the additional C++0x language features would allow nice code improvements in open source emulators/code written in C++.

If anyone has trouble getting this to work, let me know and I'll try to help.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

the current gcc 4.3.3 buils already with MPFR and GMP, can you detail what are the requirements and how easy is to build the remaining CLOOG and PPL on Linux/Windows/Unix?

I've tryed long time ago with my windows box but didn't manage to build them (i didn't spent too much time into it) if you have some cookbook on how to do it that would be great!