Can anyone help me to adapt a PC game on my PSP?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Wally

Post by Wally »

There's always a license for a game... Regardless.

Shareware / Freeware / Commercial / Business / EULA / GPL etc etc..

This game is a Trial, you are best to contact the original publisher before you go any further..

Wally
bioniclearchiver

Post by bioniclearchiver »

Wally4000: I know, but I read somewhere that a license is just for a country depending on what it is. Normally, this is a japanese license, and since I just plan to work on the demo that is free (not the full game that is not free), there are normally no problems. Moreover, there is no way to contact them (or I didn't find one).

Jean: I don't think that's silly, I just think that some of you doesn't want to understand what I want to do or would be jealous if I'm gonna to achieve what I want to do.

Did you read my last post? I said I was okay to follow your ideas if you can help me in this way because I'm only used to reuse original datas for the others plateforms. You can't continue saying I'm fool when I do not want to do what you say if I agree to follow your ideas.

Now, is there someone who can accept me after coming back to your proposition? I will not continue in my first idea, so it will normally help you since that's what you asked me to do.

Oh, and what does mean HOS? I don't understand abreviations.
cloudhunter

Post by cloudhunter »

License aside, I just want to point out what you are actually letting yourself in for.

Even if you were to reuse the original resources (e.g. art, music, text), completely rewriting the engine would take a lot of knowledge, and you would have to reverse engineer the game to find out how the resources are read, and the file formats etc.

Now, I know you think there are programs which can make the source code come out of the application, but unfortunately, there isn't. The best that you can do is use a disassembler on it, and then it will be x86 ASM code - which is unreadable to a novice. It would take months even if you are fast to learn.

And I know you are asking for help - but understand, this isn't a forum where people will spoon feed you through the entire process, and even the things that people have told you so far you have seemed unable to grasp. And by insulting people (e.g. accusing them of being jealous, or not wanting to help because they are afraid that someone will compete with them) you have pretty much guaranteed that any help you may have been given is withdrawn.

My advise:

Read up on assembly language, read up on how to convert it to C, get a decompiler and see how you get on. However, this will take months to learn - so better get started.

And as for your question - HOS means hall of shame. It's a place where the mods put "special" posts.

Cloudy
:)
Rangu2057

Post by Rangu2057 »

cloudhunter wrote:License aside, I just want to point out what you are actually letting yourself in for.

Even if you were to reuse the original resources (e.g. art, music, text), completely rewriting the engine would take a lot of knowledge, and you would have to reverse engineer the game to find out how the resources are read, and the file formats etc.

Now, I know you think there are programs which can make the source code come out of the application, but unfortunately, there isn't. The best that you can do is use a disassembler on it, and then it will be x86 ASM code - which is unreadable to a novice. It would take months even if you are fast to learn.

And I know you are asking for help - but understand, this isn't a forum where people will spoon feed you through the entire process, and even the things that people have told you so far you have seemed unable to grasp. And by insulting people (e.g. accusing them of being jealous, or not wanting to help because they are afraid that someone will compete with them) you have pretty much guaranteed that any help you may have been given is withdrawn.

My advise:

Read up on assembly language, read up on how to convert it to C, get a decompiler and see how you get on. However, this will take months to learn - so better get started.

And as for your question - HOS means hall of shame. It's a place where the mods put "special" posts.

Cloudy
i was just going to put up a thread about how the process of RE works, if its gonna take that long to learn, i had better get started then...
the questions of today are awnswered by the blood and bullets of tomorrow! ---EagleEye--- (Socom FTB2)
Art

Post by Art »

Jean: I don't think that's silly, I just think that some of you doesn't want to understand what I want to do or would be jealous if I'm gonna to achieve what I want to do.
Did you hear that jean? you're jealous! :D

Truth is bioniclearchiver, that in the unlikely case that you are able to recreate this game in any fashion, by any means,
by the time you have the required skill and know how, you will no longer be interested in this game.
Some of these earlier posts are like listening to a four year old boy telling his
Mother that he understands how the world works.
If not actually, then potentially.
jean

Post by jean »

Did you hear that jean? you're jealous! :D
ooohhh....shame, you catched me!! lol
People, feel free to close or h.o.s. this thread when you want, but -just for information- i'm having fun. So for what concerns me, i'm continuing responding....
I said I was okay to follow your ideas if you can help me
OOOOOk, people. I'm an idiot and i want to build an homemade nuclear plant. Can someone help? I will follow your instructions! Teach me for ten years, i will learn!!

Here's a small checklist to go from dummy to computer science guru. If you miss even one of them, consider learning that specific task. Take into account that every task could take a couple month or several years depending on your skills.
1) Finite Automata and regular grammars. It's theoretical computer science, but in real-world programming you use it every day (even if you don't know its name). URM or Turing Machine are nice small models to help understand why some strange ways are choosen sometimes in assembly languages.
2) Virtual machines theory. If you never tried to program your small 4 operands VM, you'll never understand a real 100 operand CPU. That's for smooth introduction to assembly.
3) Computer architectures from von Neuman's model to nowadays: you cannot work on something you don't know, moreover if you are porting something. There are not red-dressed leprechauns into a laptop chassis performing operations for you.
4) Algorithms. There are sciences concerning only the way to face a problem, resolve it and turn solution into a general purpose algorithm, theoretically check flaws and so on...
5) Study already existent algorithms. I reinvented the wheel many times, and i do continue having fun while doing it, but that's the loooong way to learn. Sooner or later you will need a compression algorithm, and _NO_ you will NOT RE it from existing binary.
6) Learn java. Even if you do not plan to ever code in java, AFAIK it's the fastest and best way to learn about class organization, inheritance, polymorphism, design patterns and all the good things OOP gives us. I repeat: even if one will never use this things, they really make you think differently.
7) Given your knowledge of bool's algebra and functional math, i think that to start your RE you could be helped from something is called "logic nets" in my campus: it's about how to derive a logic function from a black-box given inputs and outputs. It firstly apply on micrologic electronic, but when you reach a good level you'll be able to apply it on code.
8) Code your own game. If you've never been in love, you cannot understand people in love. So you cannot even understand SOURCECODE sometimes if you never faced the same problems the coders faced...don't expect to understand hexedited binary: there are no magic wand or thumb rule to apply and obtain logic. Once you get logic in some way, that's the moment you realize you don't understand the obtained logic. Sure, if you take a look into some opensource project, you will learn faster.

I surely forgot something. If someone has something to add..........
Anyway, i want to eat every day: i could order pizza or cook something from pre-finite ingredients. I cannot go every day in a farm and milk a cow, and harvest cereals, and pump water, and......Listen to me: ask for sources and then find someone to port it on PSP. In any other case, see you in 10 years, when you're finished.
cloudhunter

Post by cloudhunter »

Rangu2057 wrote:i was just going to put up a thread about how the process of RE works, if its gonna take that long to learn, i had better get started then...
Maybe it was an exaggeration, but my point still stands ;)

Anyway, Jean's explanation seems pretty in depth ;)

Cloudy
:)
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

why the arguing and lock this already!
bioniclearchiver

Post by bioniclearchiver »

Thank you Jean, now I know where I can strat (that's all I wanted after all, I never said I wanted you to do all the work).

I'm sure I will not finish before a long time, but that's not a problem, I just wanted to know where to search. I already have some knowledge in some of your steps, and since I'll be in a computering school for 5 years and I already know some other things (bool's algebra, microcontrollers and on), I think it will be easier for me now to make my way to my goal.

I'm sorry for the trouble I've done, but I didn't wanted much more than clues.
Thank you!
jean

Post by jean »

Surprisingly glad to hear that didn't discourage you...if you reach your goal you'll be a better dev, indeed. Focus on praticize tasks in list that at a first glance seem useless theory and nothing more (but they aren't).
Good luck