[SOLVED]What to code?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Producted

[SOLVED]What to code?

Post by Producted »

Hello

I really want to extend my C(++) knowledge and the best way to do this is to work on a project. Are there any suggestions what I could code? It shouldn't be too hard, but also it shouldn't be too easy.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Producted on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mon Ouïe

Post by Mon Ouïe »

No one can say what you should code. If you want to create a game, and if you think you can do it, then do that game.
Producted

Post by Producted »

I'm not really someone who's into developping games. I was looking into the WLAN stuff, but it seems to be a complete mistery to me. Anyone got a good example? And yes, I've seen the \sdk\samples\net\simple but as I've mentioned, it looks like a mystery to me. Or a good page in the docs (couldn't find a search function).
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

Just ask what people really want out of there psps.

For me:
Do you have any experience in customizing the firmware? I have always wanted to play xvid avi's directly from the xmb but afaik no one has yet done this and a custom player is still required.
Producted

Post by Producted »

Viper8896 wrote:Just ask what people really want out of there psps.

For me:
Do you have any experience in customizing the firmware? I have always wanted to play xvid avi's directly from the xmb but afaik no one has yet done this and a custom player is still required.
That means someone (in this case: me :p) should code or port an existing codec and then 'put' it in the firmware.

This falls under the category "It shouldn't be too hard". Sorry :(
m0skit0

Post by m0skit0 »

Producted wrote:I was looking into the WLAN stuff, but it seems to be a complete mistery to me.
That may be because you don't know the internals of 802.11. What's you don't understand in the code you looked at?
Viper8896 wrote:I have always wanted to play xvid avi's directly from the xmb
Useless IMHO, as the player already exists. Easy and simple: why would you make the XMB unnecessary bigger and hence buggier, slower and more memory consuming, if you can use an external app or even convert Xvid to PSP's MP4?
Producted wrote:That means someone (in this case: me :p) should code or port an existing codec and then 'put' it in the firmware.
Nah, you just insert that player's code into the VSH :P
The Incredible Bill Gates wrote:The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers.
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

m0skit0 wrote: Useless IMHO, as the player already exists. Easy and simple: why would you make the XMB unnecessary bigger and hence buggier, slower and more memory consuming, if you can use an external app or even convert Xvid to PSP's MP4?
If I were to do that then is there any existing software to trim down and speed up the xmb?

Also if you're not playing a xvid then there is no need to have a noticeable drop in performance. If I were to use another player then I would have to choose it, wait for it to load with that PSP logo that seems to take ~ 10 seconds and then quit again when finished ~ 5 seconds.
KylBlz

Post by KylBlz »

i have 3 ideas of which i would like to do:

you said you wanted to figure out WLAN, well, make a bittorrent client!
you may also miss COPY/PASTE, you could give that a shot
and my favorite, make a plugin for the XMB thats an equalizer. letting you choose amplification for certain Hz ranges.
Producted

Post by Producted »

To create a Bittorrent client, I first have to get known to the protocol etc. It's obvious that it will take a lot of time, and to be honest I cba. :p

Your other two ideas don't have anything to do with WLAN so I just ignored them.

Anyway, I studied the net samples and I also found something on the webs (no idea if it's from the samples) which is really understandable for me. Clicky. As you see, it's really a mess so I'm modifying the code which makes it better for re-usage.
My question is; is this a good way to do this? I don't have everything ported yet, but I really want to have an opinion before I go further with it and later even expanding it.

There is a chance that I'm just reinventing the wheel, please note me if this is the case.

Note that I haven't tested it yet, It might not be even working.

Code: Select all

int InitWLAN()
{
	int Errors = pspSdkInetInit();

if(Errors != 0)
	{
		return Errors;
	}
	else
	{
		return 0;
	}
}

char getConnections()
{
	int temp;
	char *returnArray[];

for&#40;temp = 1; temp < 100; temp++&#41;
	&#123;
		if&#40;sceUtilityCheckNetParam&#40;i&#41; != 0&#41;
		&#123;
			break;
		&#125;

char connectionName&#91;64&#93;;
		sceUtilityGetNetParam&#40;i, 0, &#40;netData*&#41; connectionName&#41;;

returnArray&#91;int&#93; = name;
	&#125;
&#125;

int connect&#40;&#41;
&#123;
	int Errors = sceNetApctlConnect&#40;1&#41;

if&#40;Errors != 0&#41;
	&#123;
		return Errors;
	&#125;
	else
	&#123;
		return 0;
	&#125;
&#125;

char resolveIP&#40;&#41;
&#123;
	char pspIPAddr&#91;32&#93;;

int Errors = sceNetApctlGetInfo&#40;8, pspIPAddr&#41;;

if&#40;Errors != 0&#41;
	&#123;
		return Errors
	&#125;
	else
	&#123;
		return 0;
	&#125;
&#125;

int resolveHost&#40;&#41;&#123;&#125;
Torch

Post by Torch »

Once you initiate a WLAN connection it should be completely transparent to any thing you plan to port since these usually assume a LAN connection is already active.
Producted

Post by Producted »

Sorry, I wasn't really understandable. I meant optimizing the already existing source to something better instead of porting.
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

Producted wrote: That means someone (in this case: me :p) should code or port an existing codec and then 'put' it in the firmware.

This falls under the category "It shouldn't be too hard". Sorry :(
I'm already aware that the almost all the time would be spent joining the codec code to the firmware code but this the hard part about it.
Producted wrote:Your other two ideas don't have anything to do with WLAN so I just ignored them.
You didn't specify that you only were interested in wlan but if that's the case:

Wifi spectrum analysis, packet capture, cracking tools, jammers (some of these may not be possible giving the encapsulation but that's another topic)

When you say wlan do you just mean any app that uses tcp/ip communication? I don't think a torrent client would be very useful because of the limited bandwidth, file storage, system specs if doing a lot of seeding and that CTorrentPSP already exists. The only reason I can think off the top of my head is that maybe it could become a low power way of downloading any file.

Most server apps wouldn't be of any use so try to focus on either client, or peer to peer apps with some exceptions of course.

If you are only looking for a hard project to start up then the psp could do with another browser whether port or from scratch as netfront is crap. fennec depends on glib, gtk, cairo, among other things but there should be many easier ones too if you just search for embedded browser.
Producted

Post by Producted »

Yeah I know that netfront is crap, I should really contact Sony once with a wish to make a better browser (not that they'll listen..). I just can't code a browser from scratch as it's way too hard. You need to code all the parsers etc.
Porting an existing leightweight browser is an idea. I could look into it. But it's still a hard thing to do. :p Peer to peer... Hm, I could a write a filesharing system or something like that. To keep it legal I'll restrict it to images. We'll see...
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Since any modern smartphone can give you a wifi signal through Joikuspot, maybe it's great to have augmented reality on PSP.

Imagine augmented reality on a 4 inch screen :)

-Holux receiver gives the gps signal
-Psp shotto shot camera gives the images.

would be really great :-)
KylBlz

nice

Post by KylBlz »

Thanks Viper, i didnt know that existed and trust me, i googled a lot for something like that.
Producted

Post by Producted »

Okay, I now know what to code: a multiplayer pong game (over the interwebs). I thought that it'd be a good idea, that even before I start to code the multiplayer stuff, that I should code a offline version.

I managed to get one bat to move on the screen (with the shoulder buttons). But now I've no idea how to let the ball jump and interact with one bat, and later, ofcourse, two bats.
How would I do this? (btw, do I need to create a new topic for this?)

EDIT: I'll create a new thread :)