Web Browser in Wipeout Pure

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

roto

Post by roto »

andy0482 wrote:I really don’t think the browser is part of the game. I think it is most likely built into the PSP itself.

Reasons:

1. Why would the developers go to the trouble to write or include a full browser when most game developers are more interested in the title itself?

2. I have noticed in all the games I have there are a few screen that look 100% the same. If you go to the save game menu in any of the games I have (Wipeout, Acid, Untold Legends) you will notice they all look, feel and work the same. I think it is likely how the developers call a load function. The PSP might use that screen like an open dialog box in windows. I think the browser is the same thing. If someone can find similar functionality in another game I am betting that game will look similar.

3. Also when you are in the “Browser” make note how you have to get out. If you press the square button it seems to reload the page or maybe it’s a back button. You have to ht start and exit out that way. Also look at that menu and how it matches others like the save game menus.

Any thoughts??
The browser is Sony code (SCEJ). Sony makes it, distributes it. Developers make the game.

Everything looks "the same" because of the PSP API's.
IceBerg

Post by IceBerg »

I can confirm the browser has no media support (mp3, avi, mp4 etc) built in. That isnt uncommon, I mena Frirefox and IE neither have media capabilities built in. The full version of the browser (the 2.0 bios, the 1.7 will be released in summer and 2.0 in late fall) will utilize the built in media functions of the psp. I will be doing some testing on how the wipeout browser handels xml and js. I think is is the rawest form of the browser, and it does appear to be in the game not the bios from what I can see. Incidentaly I dont have a machine set up for packet capture, so if someone could send me the full link the psp accesses (the us unit) when it looks for a bios update I would appriciate it.
xfluxlab

Post by xfluxlab »

i dont think this was mentioned on this board ...or maybe it has ....then sorry ...but aparently no need for proxies...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... .id=289619
senas8

Post by senas8 »

[quote="Agntneo"]/me claps his hands.

Bravo roto, really interesting that Wipeout has a browser included.
I wonder if you could have a chance to upload/ download files with it, perhaps access the memory card or even see the UMD contents?
If so are they encrypted?

I think I will buy Wipeout pure, but the PSP isn't released in Europe yet.
Well good luck to you roto.
I hope you get some more experimenting with this.
By the way, what firmware version are you using?
I don't belive it uses anything from the firmware though, just a thought.
[quote="Thank you"]

What is neat about that idea is ...lets say you could view the UMD content of wipeout ..well all you would have to do is remove the wipeout game and replace it with another game or umd movie...because you see after I connected to internet with the wipeout browser I removed the wipeout UMD and I could still surf the net with out the game being in there for about and hour untill i quit.....so etc
Last edited by senas8 on Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
senas8

Post by senas8 »

Damn it double posts I had to edit this one.
Yoorah

Post by Yoorah »

senas8 wrote:What is neat about that idea is ...lets say you could view the UMD content of wipeout ..well all you would have to do is remove the wipeout game and replace it with another game or umd movie...because you see after I connected to internet with the wipeout browser I removed the wipeout UMD and I could still surf the net with out the game being in there for about and hour untill i quit.....so etc
It is likely that the browser is loaded into RAM and ran from there; so, after loading it, you should no longer need the UMD... as long as your data in RAM doesn't clear.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

From this thread:
http://psp.paran.com/main.html
this page is for korean psp wireless network to be released in May.
inside "OnGameNet" ( http://psp.paran.com/vod.html )
there're link to some .pmf files.
I wonder if someone with Wipeout browser could try the scond page and see if those files would stream.
I highly doubt that it would work, but maybe we'll get lucky..
What does this button do?
senas8

Post by senas8 »

Yeah I believe any Game you put into the psp.... some of it is loaded into the ram...I mean I have tried ridgeracer, started the race and took the UMD out...lets you finish up the race, but gets messed up on the main menu, or I think it wont even load the menu. ...thats why I said some data is saved.
And with that Gamemonkey file...I wonder if the reboot that occurs is necessary... wonder if anyone can look into that to see if you can stop the reebot that occurs.....it would be a hassle if in the near future one can dowload a demo game from sony and each demo would have to reboot the psp. Probably not... only for a firmware update im guessing.
placasoft

Post by placasoft »

Hey all,
need somehelp, i want to do that too. But i don´t know how I must config the DNS-Server. I use "Treewalk". Can you help me? tHx
paragon

Post by paragon »

From reading numerous posts and visiting sites, I think I have patched together a somewhat decent chain of events to get this browser working (all the gurus who pioneered this, corrections/help/comments are greatly appreciated)

-First, make my PSP go through a proxy that links to my machine's IP.
-Then, for people like me who don't have DNS servers - set my primary DNS server to "67.171.70.72" (that's fugimax's) and my secondary DNS back to my router
-then it should work?

I'm quite sure I'm missing steps, so any help would again be greatly appreciated.
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

paragon wrote:-First, make my PSP go through a proxy that links to my machine's IP.
-Then, for people like me who don't have DNS servers - set my primary DNS server to "67.171.70.72" (that's fugimax's) and my secondary DNS back to my router
-then it should work?
Seems like step 1 is unecessary. Why not just set your psp dns to point to fugimaxs?
paragon

Post by paragon »

how can it be done?
wouldn't that make it such that if my psp ever checked for a firmware update - it would just go to the fugimax site?
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

paragon wrote:how can it be done?
wouldn't that make it such that if my psp ever checked for a firmware update - it would just go to the fugimax site?
In the network setup, set address settings to custom and set the dns setting to manual, you can then specify the primary and secondary dns.

I am assuming Fugimaxs dns server is set to look to another dns server if it doesnt contain a record. That way, if fugimax hasnt defined the psp update server, it should still go the the proper update page. Using a dns via a proxy will only give the same as using the dns direct, only adding another level of complexity.
paragon

Post by paragon »

i'm on my psp - so under "IP Address setting" I click automatic
next is DNS setting - I click manual - and under primary and secondary I insert first Fugimax and then my router's ip right?
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

paragon wrote:i'm on my psp - so under "IP Address setting" I click automatic
next is DNS setting - I click manual - and under primary and secondary I insert first Fugimax and then my router's ip right?
Is your router a DNS server? I would open up a command prompt on your pc (Start > Run and type CMD) then type "IPConfig /all", without the quotes. Take a look at what your DNS servers are set to (assuming you didnt change them to fugimax) and set your secondary to one of those.
paragon

Post by paragon »

now it's asking me about using or not using a proxy server - what should I do?

I know that we got rid of telling it to connect to my desktop - so it should be a no right?
paragon

Post by paragon »

let me recap what I just did -
I went into Network Settings > Infrastructure Mode

>I created a new connection called "Browse"
>Then under WLAN settings I left it as it had been under "none"
>I then set Address settings as "Custom
>I then set IP Address settings as automatic
>I then set DNS Setting to Manual > Under primary DNS, I set it to Fugimax's IP, and under secondary set one of my own DNS servers that I got through IP config
>I then set "Proxy Server" to do no use
>And thats it.

anything wrong?
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

paragon wrote:let me recap what I just did -
I went into Network Settings > Infrastructure Mode

>I created a new connection called "Browse"
>Then under WLAN settings I left it as it had been under "none"
>I then set Address settings as "Custom
>I then set IP Address settings as automatic
>I then set DNS Setting to Manual > Under primary DNS, I set it to Fugimax's IP, and under secondary set one of my own DNS servers that I got through IP config
>I then set "Proxy Server" to do no use
>And thats it.

anything wrong?
Should be ok, give it a try.
paragon

Post by paragon »

woot - now looking for my umd under the mess that is my desk and firing up the browser -

some last questions of mine - so all I need to do now is fire up the browser and it should load the site?
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

paragon wrote:woot - now looking for my umd under the mess that is my desk and firing up the browser -

some last questions of mine - so all I need to do now is fire up the browser and it should load the site?
As this isnt dev, id suggest starting a topic in the psp general discussion forum if your still having difficulties. You should be good to go though.
paragon

Post by paragon »

yeah - srry >_< - thanks though for all your help
IceBerg

Post by IceBerg »

I know there are several threads, so those of you following them all can direct people to this for answers. Ive done some testing of the WOB(wipeout browser). Here are my findings so far:

HTML: yes
CSS: yes
Javascript: no
XML: no
XHTML: not tested yet
XSLT: no
Video/MP3 streaming: no
Forms: yes
Frames: no
Downloads: untested fully but since the mp3s failed Im guessing there is either some size limitation onit or this particular version will not download. We do know that downloading is possible as the JP units are able to dl updates to the bios. so this warrents further testing.

So frome these findings you can see the browser is very rudamentry. I can not use it here at the university as we have a web-proxy authentication, and that site uses frames. Thus I can notauthenticates, and therefore my MAC doesnt get added and I can not browse. There would be a way around if if say I had a second wireless card in the laptop. Now there have been several questions as to weather the browser is on the WO UMD, or in the bios. From what I can conclude, from talking to people who know more than I, this is not CURRENTLY in the bios, but was used with wipeout as they wanted to have the option to have downloadable content in the future. Since this is a sony release, implementing the browser didnt cause any immediate risks to outside sources having the code before it was finishe.

PLEASE keep in mind that some of that last par is technicaly rumor and has not been confirmedordisafirmed as of yet. It is however a great glimpse of what is to come.

Special thanks to roto and the guys who brought this to light. I will continue my testing and post further results. I hope that we get WPA support though, that would be soo nice.
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

roto wrote:JavaScript works (Again API for Alert boxes, NEAT feature)
IceBerg wrote:Javascript: no
Where you testing non-ecma javascript (like jscript)?

Also I see nothing that indicates if the browser is in the bios or the umd, just opinion. Is anyone with a jap psp with firmware v1 able to run wipeout and look at the user agent version?
IceBerg

Post by IceBerg »

Mawdsley wrote:
roto wrote:JavaScript works (Again API for Alert boxes, NEAT feature)
IceBerg wrote:Javascript: no
Where you testing non-ecma javascript (like jscript)?

Also I see nothing that indicates if the browser is in the bios or the umd, just opinion. Is anyone with a jap psp with firmware v1 able to run wipeout and look at the user agent version?
I have a site that automaticaly updates totals based on information from fiels elsewere in the form. It's a paypal cart of sorts. None of the javascript seemed to work for me at all. Most of it was based on focus.
Michael1980

Post by Michael1980 »

So Asia is to get a browser from Sony on April 2. Anyone else read this?
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

Roto got a mention on IGN :)

Michael1980 wrote:So Asia is to get a browser from Sony on April 2. Anyone else read this?
Link? IGN have an article called Korea nets PSP but that 404s.
tbirdsaw

Post by tbirdsaw »

IceBerg: I guess some things in JavaScript are implemented and others aren't. Which ones... I don't know (I'm not a programmer :-/ ) I do know that some simple things (like Alerts and simple JS stuff) seem to work.

Mawdsley: As I understand, there is no definite proof of where the browser is located. Until someone decompresses/decrypts the firmware update, I don't think we'll know for certain. Speculation that it is based in BIOS partly comes from the Agent String "SCEJ PSP BROWSER 0102pspNavigator," where SCEJ is Sony. However, because it doesn't seem well integrated (afaik), it looks like it was included on the disc itself.

I only have the US PSP, so I can't tell for certain. If anyone *does* have a V1, it would be very interesting to see what the Browser Agent String returns.

Oh, and if I goofed/missed anything, let me know. I'm still a newb. :-D
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

what i dont get is how somthing so simple gets people fired up.. i found this out when i first loaded wipeout a week before na release. i thought to myself.. hmmm im gonna call other images off the net using my own dns server on my wlan.. well theres limitations as we all know now but its nothing to get all hyped about. damn
Last edited by kry.sys on Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

oh.. this is like what i did for the firmware upload on my jp psp to try and put diferent md5s in the url to get and make dns point to my server with the new file. works if the file isnt modified but it was my check to see if the psp actualy used the md5 in its process. (it doesnt). Im not trying to downplay this effort (if you call it that) but its REALLY nothing to write an article about. you see an app pull an image off the web in any instance on any platform and its common knowledge that you can divert that info from somewhere else..

again.. sorry for the negitivity but i think we can push our efforts into more meaningful developments.
sethfogie

Setting up your own PSP Browser + a new PSP browser keyboard

Post by sethfogie »

Here is a detailed article on how the web browsing experience on the PSP works. From the proxy to the DNS spoofing, we show how to do it with your own computer, in your own house, and without any external DNS hacking.

For grins and giggles, we also figured out a way to more easily type in your own URL. If you have used the PSP interface, then you know it is a pain to type anything longer than a user handle. Our JavaScript PSP web based keyboard makes surfing the Internet a whole lot easier!

The article
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=381377

The keyboard
http://www.informit.com/articles/articl ... &seqNum=11