1GB DuoStick PRO Duo

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Stan64

1GB DuoStick PRO Duo

Post by Stan64 »

I was about to buy one, but they were out everywhere. I bought a 512MB instead for the time being. Now someone claims that the 1GB MemoryStick's don't work with PSP yet. =/
Soldiers of Mist
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Can you provide a link to the claim?

I take it the 512MB works fine for you?
Stan64

Post by Stan64 »

No, it was a seller who claimed that to my friend. But he maybe wanted to sell the 512MB he had. Mine works fine. And it is from Sandisk.
Soldiers of Mist
TriOptimum

Post by TriOptimum »

I hope 1gb works... 2gb too, for that matter, they'll be cheap enough soon. Sony can always update the firmware via wifi if they need to though ^_^.
Stan64

Post by Stan64 »

2GB, link me to one?

MemoryStick PRO, DON'T work eth PSP. Only PRO Duo.
Soldiers of Mist
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Duo is the size. Pro is the speed.

The stick in the value kit is a non-pro duo, but the PSP supports pro.

Accept no substitutes.
DigitalFoundry

Post by DigitalFoundry »

1GB Memory Stick Duos definitely work in the PSP.
joe_somebody

EBGAMES - has 1GB memory stick duo

Post by joe_somebody »

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255567.asp

Not too bad of a price, especially if they have it in stock. About half the price of the sony stick (from places that have it in stock).
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Pre-Order: Ships on 03/10/2005

yay?
FreeFighter

Post by FreeFighter »

I can order one from Holland for € 149,82. all incl. shipping etc. from here but it doesn't say anything if they have it in stock or not. So i guess they do. I will contact them to see how many they have in stock.
DigitalFoundry

Post by DigitalFoundry »

£88 all in here: www.computerwebstore.co.uk
emiisdev

Post by emiisdev »

FYI - SanDisk 1 GB Duo Pro are back in stock - mine was backordered but I received it today. It works great in the Japanese PSP and I'm glad to have the extra space to play around with.

Really hate that Yellow February color though.. Blah.

Emi ^_^
Unshra

Post by Unshra »

emiisdev wrote:I'm glad to have the extra space to play around with.
Agreed, I was on a 3hr flight and was able to finish watching FF-SW and a few animes. The person next to me was impressed, honestly the PSP will soon replace my powerbook and ipod as my means of keeping my sane on long flights and it's so small. ^_^
senas8

Post by senas8 »

Does anyone know if the psp supports a 2GiG Pro Duo?
weak

Post by weak »

i think currently there are no sticks larger than 1gb

Post by Guest »

senas8 wrote:Does anyone know if the psp supports a 2GiG Pro Duo?
There was a thread on the PSP forum of ps2-scene.com about someone who has tested a beta 2G memory stick. It was reported to work fine and show the presence of the entire 2GB of space.

It was also rumoured that the PSP can theoretically address up to 8GB on the memory stick. Of course, one expects it will take many more years and dollars before one will be able to get one.
weak

Post by weak »

i thought it's hard to even get a 1gb stick atm. where can you get 2gb sticks? never heard of any.

Post by Guest »

weak wrote:i thought it's hard to even get a 1gb stick atm. where can you get 2gb sticks? never heard of any.
As i mentioned it was "beta". In other words, an evaluation. Its not yet released, but most likely will be soon.

Even in Japan I can't hardly find 1GB sticks.
kryptolus

Post by kryptolus »

gorim wrote:
weak wrote:i thought it's hard to even get a 1gb stick atm. where can you get 2gb sticks? never heard of any.
As i mentioned it was "beta". In other words, an evaluation. Its not yet released, but most likely will be soon.

Even in Japan I can't hardly find 1GB sticks.
Yeah, I couldn't find it in stores either. Found it online for more than 30,000 but I wasn't going to pay that much. I ended up ordering it from U.S. for a pretty good price (in my opinion).
Deaddreamer

Post by Deaddreamer »

Would have been nice if the PSP could take ordinary Memory Stick PRO cards too. Since you can get these cards up to 4 gb.
Then you would have room for a couple of films, lots of music and so on.
pirloui

Post by pirloui »

That's a hardware issue... The only MS it takes which is cheaper is blank MS duo; no MG nor pro.. (Though that does not solve your affair with larger memory..)
HeroreV

Post by HeroreV »

SanDisk doubles the maximum size of PSP's Memory Stick format.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/589/589190p1.html?fromint=1
Kamilion

Post by Kamilion »

gorim wrote:
senas8 wrote:Does anyone know if the psp supports a 2GiG Pro Duo?
There was a thread on the PSP forum of ps2-scene.com about someone who has tested a beta 2G memory stick. It was reported to work fine and show the presence of the entire 2GB of space.

It was also rumoured that the PSP can theoretically address up to 8GB on the memory stick. Of course, one expects it will take many more years and dollars before one will be able to get one.
Yeah, that was my post here (Registration required)
http://www.ps2newz.net/forums/showpost. ... stcount=11

(Here's a cap from it, for those who arn't/Won't register.)
Kamilion wrote:
importtuner wrote:I'm talking about the 2GB you claim to have used. Also I'm not too sure about the fact regarding the 8GB limit on the firmware. There isn't any way to tell how big the PSP will allow.
I've never used a 2GB stick, I don't even have a PSP yet. My aunt is a photographer down in long beach, her best friend runs a camera store in long beach and a digital SLR shop & review house on the web; Sandisk sent him a 2GB prototype memory stick pro duo, I conviced a friend of mine down in LA to bring his PSP over to his shop and test the stick. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that the PSP recognises it as a 2GB stick with about 1890MB free space. No files were copied onto it or off of it, nothing was saved on it, the card was stuck in, formatted, and removed again.

Basically, all I can tell you is the PSP detects it as a card, and I can't say much more than that.

Now, as for the 8.4GB/8.6GB maximum adressable size, that's a hardware limitation of the 24bit addressing.

Later, with firmware updates, the PSP could theoretically update the memory stick driver in the firmware with 32bit or even 48bit adressing for larger memory stick pro duos in the future. I wouldn't expect 8GB+ sticks for at least another two years, so sony has plenty of time to deal with that in the meantime.
From what he told me, it displayed 1893MB of free space on the card, and it was a bright blue color.

Edit:
This one, I think.