Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

neoscyte

Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade

Post by neoscyte »

Hello everyone,

I am new to ps2dev as I wanted to know more about homebrew, etc. and asked myself if it would be possible to manipulate the v1.50 firmware that the PSP would recognize it as, say v3.00 and would be able to update easily.

I've an v2.50 model and want to downgrade. Would that be not an easy way, or does nobody know how to hack the Firmware (info) ?!

Thank you for information.

Greetz,
neoscyte
cppnewbie

Post by cppnewbie »

as far as i know all the attempts concerning ex. hex editing of update files have failed. they all become corrupted after a while...
Timale-Kun

Post by Timale-Kun »

You need Sony encryption key when u want to edit a Firmware update eboot.pbp, or the file will be corrupted after your modification, Only way to get throug that for the moment its to have a spy at Sony's^^
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

2048bit AES (guessing) key decryptin...
easily with a new computer developed in Innsbruck
possibly in a few years ;)
quanten-bits...
by now... would take years.

greets
lumo
"Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Pablo Picasso
go2lumo.com
HaQue

Post by HaQue »

In nearly all protections there is some weak link in the security chain that can bring the whole scheme to its knees.

Imaging a door with high security unpickable locks all the way down. secure? Well what if you can simply push the pins out of the hinges and open the door that way? The security team obviously was focusing all there attention on 1 part, and left another part open for abuse.

Another good example is Sony's own first PSX. The CD discs were of a Unique format. You could not buy any blank disks for them because of a code contained on the disc. That code was sent to the PSX in a serial protocol and told the PSX "this disc is ok to boot up". Did hackers hack the disc? No. They just programmed a cheap programmable IC to tell the PSX that ANY disc is ok to boot, even pirated games on CD-R's. The weakest link was not the good protection scheme but further down the chain.

Now back to the PSP.

Already there is some headway into loading other firmware or parts of firmware to do something the PSP cant with the installed firmware.

I think you will see quite a bit of things happen that make the encryption not so important. It could even be possible to reflash the firmware with any version one day, encrypted and all.

/-/aQue
harleyg

Re: Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade

Post by harleyg »

neoscyte wrote:Hello everyone,

I am new to ps2dev as I wanted to know more about homebrew, etc. and asked myself if it would be possible to manipulate the v1.50 firmware that the PSP would recognize it as, say v3.00 and would be able to update easily.

I've an v2.50 model and want to downgrade. Would that be not an easy way, or does nobody know how to hack the Firmware (info) ?!

Thank you for information.

Greetz,
neoscyte
god i hate it when noobs think they will get what they want by typing with correct grammer.

wanker
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

LuMo wrote:2048bit AES (guessing) key decryptin...
easily with a new computer developed in Innsbruck
possibly in a few years ;)
quanten-bits...
by now... would take years.

greets
lumo
i think its 128 bit actually
Jim

Post by Jim »

grammar
HaQue

Re: Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade

Post by HaQue »

god i hate it when noobs think they will get what they want by typing with correct grammer.

wanker
Or, for that matter, spelling! :)